Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 01:11PM

I want to have a conversation with her where I ask her who she thinks she will belong to in the after life. Or if she thinks she will be a third or 10trillionth wife of some guy. Because, if she really believes this stuff, for her own well being in the 'eternities' should she not position herself better?

If there is no Celestial Kingdom, we will not be together.

If there is a a Celestial Kingdom, we will not be together since I don't believe it and am unworthy. So, it seems she is jeopardizing her eternal reward by hanging around, since she is hedging her bets that she is right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 01:18PM

I used to tell my TBM ex-wife, "do you know how long eternity is?". I could go out the front door and return 10,000 years later and say, "Honey I'm home".

Epilogue, wife divorced me and tried to find another man to marry in the temple. Three husbands later, did not to succeed. She now has converted to another religion.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 11:33PM

Thanx for the chuckle.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 12:10AM

Mohoward, I love your story, and I know it is a true one.

I turned my back on True Love, twice, because there were two wonderful soul-mates in my life, from childhood on. (I believe there's more than just ONE true love.). I turned down an older boy, because he was an atheist, and drank wine with dinner, even though he offered to join my cult, and get married in the temple. My parents sent me away immediately to BYU, and because of the family's disapproval, he married someone else right away. He regretted his hasty marriage, and tried to come back to me when I was 50.

My second choice was another boy next door, who grew up with me in the same Mormon ward. We dated as flirty friends, off an on, through high school, and wrote occasionally from universities a continent apart. By the time we officially fell in love in grad school, he had skipped going on a mission, for a career, and admitted that he did not believe in Joseph Smith, or in having children. He was the same person I had always had a crush on,, but his beliefs and goals had gone in a different direction than mine.

Heartbroken, got married in the temple 9 months later to a seemongly perfect RM, whom I barely knew, but God and my parents seemed to approve. He turned out to be a con man, after my money (my family and my career), and I put him through BYU grad school, while he beat me almost every day. I still have trouble with my jaw, which he shattered, hearing problems and vision problems from karate blows to my head, and PTSD.

Still--I was stubborn, and still wanted to be a "Mother In Zion" with children, so I settled for an old BYU boyfriend, another Mormon RM, who assured me he had grown up from the irresponsible playboy I had never taken seriously. We got married and had children, but it was only temporary. He was a serial cheater for our entire marriage, but I didn't know about it for 12 years. He abandoned me and out children suddenly and totally. No alimony or child support, and the children have only seen him a few times.

No matter what the circumstances, is it a sin to turn your back on True Love, for any reason? I--and your ex-wife--know that it is certainly foolish!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 16, 2021 01:38PM

Wow, thanks for sharing that. How awful.

I too passed up some great potential soul mates because I wanted an RM from an established Mormon family.

Luckily for me, the one I married turned out to be a good choice and he saw through the church before me. It could have turned out very differently like your story. I still cringe when I think why I rejected a couple of really good guys because they weren't Mormon or Mormon enough.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 01:29PM

Maybe she figures that whoever she's assigned to as Eternal Broodmare will be super-awesome, like Joseph Fielding Smith or J. Reuben Clark. I mean, how can anyone realistically expect to compete with spiritual studs like those two? Or perhaps a masculine, manly man like Boyd…

/s

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 01:38PM

cheezus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want to have a conversation with her where I ask
> her who she thinks she will belong to in the after
> life. Or if she thinks she will be a third or
> 10trillionth wife of some guy. Because, if she
> really believes this stuff, for her own well being
> in the 'eternities' should she not position
> herself better?

Mormonism doesn't encourage women to think of positions in Mormonism. That's for men.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 11:44AM

It’s a short list.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 01:48PM

Although my father was TBM, he was an asshole. My mother believed that if she "endured to the end" with him, she would be rewarded in the eternities with a new spouse.

I told her I didn't believe Elohim involved himself in some sort of Celestial "Love Connection", but she was convinced He was. That hope carried her through YEARS of a shitty marriage.

Date: July 23, 2021 02:12PM

It is ridiculous to even think like that. I liken it to something like Dungeon and Dragons RPG having some tangible influence in my life...some fairy tale.

She deserves a righteous priesthood holder though.... It would do me some good.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 02:13PM

cheezus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She deserves a righteous priesthood holder
> though.... It would do me some good.

Why not have the conversation then?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 03:45PM

Not only is Eternity a very, very long time, but I have always wondered, why do God and JC still dress like 2,000 year old Mediterraneans?

I mean, there are other choices. 10,000 YA Europeans. Contemporary Key West. 1600 CE Japanese. Traditional Maori. 1400 CE Scots. Jeff Bezos "I have more money than God and am blasting into Space" blue jumpsuit.

This whole "frozen in time" wardrobe thing is little weird when you think of it. The Amish froze their wardrobe at about 350 years ago. LDS Inc froze their wardrobe at about 1955.

And God froze his wardrobe at "Late Roman Republic". Boring.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 03:49PM

Why does this make me think of Gilligan's Island and the professor inadvertently drinking fermented coconut juice?

Look out, Mary Ann.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 04:42PM

I enjoy Joseph's description of Moroni's robe being white, open at the breast. So basically no garments!

Date: July 24, 2021 01:05AM

I regret not selling my temple clothes on EBay. Someone could have used them for a toga party.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 01:38AM

Repeat it three times.

"TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!"

That will do.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 06:18PM

Women with nonbelieving husbands should go to a special interests (I don't know what they call them now) activity and that would wake them up quickly.

I decided I would never date another mormon. The guy I'm with is the one I hoped would come back into my life.

BUT if I were a good little mormon girl and going to the CK??? I'd pick my husband, Abinidi, and be his best friend and he could have all the guys he wanted. I actually do know a few good guys who are mormon, but they are all married.

Date: July 23, 2021 08:47PM

Ask her to help you practice the secret handshakes and signs and tokens. Then you’ll be able to sneak into the CK for conjugal visits.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 12:17AM

Bwaa-ha-ha-ha! Babyloncansuckit--that's hilarious!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 24, 2021 11:34AM

So Cheezus' wife will have a multitude of spirit children with her Eternal Companion. Then Cheezus sneaks in and gives her a few (or more!) of his. Just think of the bickering and friction among the factions--could be another War In Heaven.

Epic! I want the film rites.

Posted by: The Holiest of Molies ( )
Date: August 17, 2021 12:50AM

Would not be surprised if conjugal visits are not happening now. Why would there be such visits post earthly existence? Haha. Am I right?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 23, 2021 11:20PM

I never once had a discussion with my wife about the afterlife or anything post death other than her asking me what I would do as a widower after she knew she was dying. I didn't have a good answer to her question.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 27, 2021 11:23AM

what makes you think that there is logig in insanity?

Date: August 16, 2021 01:05PM

We had a short conversation about that and all she tells me is that I'll see that the church is true and come to my senses and return. She continues that I'm only saying this because "of what I did" a bunch of years ago and got my ass dis-fellowshipped. She testified up a storm and it is funny how that technique is used to stop a discussion on the testifier's terms and with the testifier having the last word. I acknowledged what she said and tell her I'm not trying to change her mind, but ask if she can understand where I'm coning from? She cannot acknowledge anything I say because it would somehow give my perspective credibility. I told her that this family will not exist like she hopes in the eternities for one of two reasons. One, there is no afterlife or two, I will not be worthy by her church's standards and thus no celestial kingdom for me. I told her I don't even want to limit my imagination to a celestial kingdom when there is so much unknown in the multiverse. She kept going with the idea that this life is not over and I'll regain a testimony.

So desertrat is correct, one truly cannot expect logic from the insane. I'll not rule out that I'm the crazy one, but it might not be a foregone conclusion either.

Mormonism is the sit-and-spin of logic and reason.

Posted by: Forestpal not logged in ( )
Date: August 18, 2021 06:59AM

"Mormonism is the sit-and-spin of logic and reason." Very funny, cheezus!

The GA family of my temple husband who beat me to a pulp--they think I'm still his possession, even though I married and had children with my second husband. They think my children belong to their family. Crazy, but I've had to avoid stalking, remain anonymous on social media, like RFM, keep my restraining orders updated, and so on. Resigning myself and my children from the cult did help a bit.

Now, I think I should have asked my ex's wealthy GA family for MONEY! That would have gotten rid of them, immediately!

If in the Mormon world we women are "possessions" of the males, then let them BUY us. Cash only, in advance, please.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 16, 2021 01:31PM

...not killing my five kids before they reached the age of accountability. What a gift that would have been to them!

I'm sure that your parents feel that same regret!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 16, 2021 01:32PM

ChurchCo renditions of the afterlife are horribly short on details; U'd think that if the attractions - benefits were so enticing, they'd want to broadcast them;

living with your 'earthly' family forever?
Not Exactly the drawing card for as many as they portray!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.