Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 12:59AM

If God was once a man who progressed to godhood and so on and so on going backward, then WHO is "Heavenly Father?"

Which one of those infinite gods is he?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 02:24AM

The turtles never end . . .

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 10:11AM

You might also ask about Ether 6:11 concerning the ocean voyage
If the fierce wind that drove the Jaradite boat was only 10 mph that equals 240 miles per day X 344 days is 82,500 miles or more than three times around the earth at the equator.
My what a trip they took!!!!!

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 12:27PM

The wind may have been 10 MPH but the actual progress of the boats would most likely be less due to various reasons.

Poor sailors running the hybrid submarines make for crappy progress.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 27, 2021 01:12PM

OneWayJay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The wind may have been 10 MPH but the actual
> progress of the boats would most likely be less
> due to various reasons.
>
> Poor sailors running the hybrid submarines make
> for crappy progress.
Hey You are BLOWING my argument away

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 11:29AM

You’ve never sailed, have you? Most sailboats would have trouble averaging 10 mph with full sail and a stiff wind. A barge floating low in the water with no sail would never even come close to that speed.

Stuff that washed into the Pacific Ocean after the Fukushima tsunami washed up on US west coast beaches for years afterward.

How did they arrange for a year’s worth of food and water for themselves and their animals is a much much bigger problem. Taking a year to drift across the Pacific is actually making pretty good time.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 10:51AM

Missionaries are uninformed and underprepared. I don't expect them to know anything other than what they've been taught. It would be like asking a sales clerk about the chain's corporate financial doings.

About the only questions I might have for missionaries are:

- Are you okay?
- Are you hungry?
- Would you rather not be here?
- Do you want a way to escape?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 11:18AM

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 12:24PM

Like others have said, I doubt that more than a fraction of the missionaries have ever even heard of this teaching. As pointed out on other forums, many missionaries don't even know that the BoM claims Jesus came to America. It is tragic.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 03:29PM

You're kidding me? How is it possible that LDS missionaries don't know about Christ in America? I was taught about Christ in America when I was a 12 year old convert. It's what the Book of Mormon is all about: Christ's visit to the Americas. It's what distinguishes the Mormon church from all other churches.

Is LDS Inc now saying Christ was never in the America?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 04:20PM

No. It is a marketing tool. That's why all the converts know all about it. But if you are born into the church, you never need to hear about such things. And many never do. All they need to know is that they need to do what Dallin Oaks and the rest tell them to do. I kid you not.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 22, 2021 12:45PM

"It's just a couplet."

"I don't know that we teach that."

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 12:57PM

My take...

Other religions like Christians have the problem of who created God too. If they claim complicated things like the universe needed a creator, then why wouldn't something as complicated as God need a creator to be consistent? There is no way to explain the first creator except with magic answers. Mormons have an endless chain of Gods trying to explain, deflect and distance themselves from the ultimate question about how God came to be.

Posted by: Done & done ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 03:58PM

Which means the joke on them is that the only way the first God could have come into being was through evolution! A couple of cells that crawled out of some sea like the rest of us?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 04:13PM

I like giving them $20 and telling them to get something to eat with it, then telling them I used to be a missionary just like them.

I think being kind to them gets them thinking more than tricky doctrinal questions.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 04:31PM

...then they inevitably ask you how it is that you left the true church.  I tell them that Satan appeared to me in a sacred grove and offered me everything I wanted and more if I would deny mormonism...

Hey, how come the devil, when he sensed we were wavering in our faith, didn't show up to offer us riches beyond our comprehension in order to get us to take the final step?  Why does he waste his time tempting the totally faithful?

Posted by: MephilstophelPhiend ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 10:31PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 01:16PM

I give then a 20 and say "Treat yourself at 31 Flavors." If I have time I write "CESletter.org" on the bill.

I'm evil that way.

Posted by: Aaron ( )
Date: August 28, 2021 08:39PM

That will stump them right?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.