Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Grimhilda ( )
Date: September 09, 2021 04:59PM

My family thinks i am insane because of my ghost stories because as an exmormon i should not have these experiences. When they tell ghost stories its because of their righteousness and the lds church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 09, 2021 05:13PM

It is their sixth sense you lack.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 09, 2021 06:23PM

I very very VERY RARELY hear of people seeing ghosts who didn't already believe in ghosts. But maybe that's my bias. I don't believe in ghosts and have never had a ghostly encounter.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: September 09, 2021 07:02PM

My father as an older adult claimed vociferously to see silent ghosts dressed in traditional Irish clothing ascending the walls of his bedroom. It seemed like a sign of his increasing dementia, and of course, he was absolutely certain of what he was seeing.

It turned out, however, that he was seeing floaters caused by vitreous detachment, and that his brain was working overtime to make sense of them. A pair of vitrectomies fixed the problem and banished the ghosts permanently.

My mother who suffered a vision field cut from a stroke began to hallucinate figures in that part of her visual field that her brain can no longer access. These hallucinations come and go, and now depend more on the state of encephalopathy, but in her case, the cause was known within days of her stroke.

I'm not saying you haven't seen things, but I am suggesting that what you saw may indicate a need for medical intervention.

Tyson

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: September 09, 2021 08:07PM

Out of curiosity, where do ghosts get their clothes?

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 09, 2021 08:18PM

Well, according to LDS theology, everything was created spiritually before it was created material, and everything has a spirit. (And this is how priesthood holders can command inanimate objects, like mountains to move thence.) So I guess clothing, or the things the clothes are made of, have spirits. Then the question is whether the clothes die when their wearer dies, or if the clothes have been dead since the cotton was picked, the wool was shorn, the leather skinned, etc. and we have clothing ghosts wrapped around us all the time.

:D

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 09, 2021 08:47PM

LOL. I can't believe they taught such stupid BS without thinking of the questions it would raise. They created more problems than they solve.

So do clothes spirits get reincarnated? It would suck to come back as the spirit in someone's underwear.

What if someone's table cloth spirit was made into three togas?

What happens when a mountain spirit is turned into gravel and spread all over?

Never mind they never moved a mountain with priesthood power.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 10:46AM

I believe they get them from "My Pillow" after all the sheets are made from 100% Giza cotton.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 11:38AM

"The Quiet Man" was one of my father's favorite movies, so I suspect that he was imagining the figures to look a bit like the characters in the film, as that would probably have strongly informed his view of what "Irish ghosts" would have looked like. However, even if he were still alive, we wouldn't be able to ask with his dementia what he meant.

Beyond the visual issues that were fixed, he also had sensations that were inaccurate, like water dripping on him from the ceiling. We never worked out what that was.

Tyson

Posted by: Casper ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 01:09PM

I don't wear clothes.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 01:12PM

What happened to your genitals, Casper?
You must not have been righteous enough to live in the CK where you get to use them.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 02:42PM

Razortooth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Out of curiosity, where do ghosts get their
> clothes?

https://psi-encyclopedia.spr.ac.uk/articles/why-do-ghosts-wear-clothes

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 09, 2021 07:56PM

Not buying any of it. All these supposed ghost sightings are really easy to see through.

Posted by: dot matrix printer ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 02:48PM

I often had to do ward clerk duties during the week. I experienced strange sounds, but I never saw ghosts or apparitions.

One thing about myself, I am very anal when it comes to checking my personal safety.

I would open the locked gate and re-lock it behind me. I would then drive every nook and cranny of the multi-level parking lots. The church was on a hilltop. I wanted to be sure that I was the only one there.

I would walk the entire building and open and close each room. I checked the bathrooms (knocking before entering of course). I also checked all entrance/exit doors.

Then I would start my clerk reports and turn on the portable radio for some tunes. Within the hour, I would hear a classroom door open then close. Later another one would open. These are heavy doors which require a good squeeze to release the latching mechanism. Sometimes I heard heavy footsteps in the hallway.

It really spooked me. And I didn't think that it was ghosts. I truly expected to find people walking inside of the church. So once again, I would walk the perimeter of the building. Sure enough, I would find a door ajar that I had previously closed.

I have no explanations, but it had happened several times. Just once I would have felt better seeing a car parked next to mine.

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 06:17PM

Not only are you no longer worthy of spiritual experiences once you are exmo, but your life is also supposed to fall apart.

So much for that hypothesis. My dog is even happier now that he gets more attention on Sunday. He also loves beer.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: September 12, 2021 12:07AM

IN my case it was not insane but 'deceived' by the devil!! This occurred because I was told the church was not true.

All the spirits/no ghosts that ever appeared 'mentally to me' were definitely wearing clothes. One made a great point based on what he wore --- I had a question about his 'dress' he answered it by just an appearance.

My 5 year old granddaughter, while swimming, looked up at me and told me she had a spirit friend. I asked for her name as they normally don't tell you and she said she just calls her anything she wants. I told her I had a spirit friend also but I never told her that before. She dropped the conversation at that point.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2021 12:19AM by spiritist.

Posted by: Ynamerom ( )
Date: September 12, 2021 03:08PM

Mormons have holey ghosts

In and out of the closets

They may judge you

Tell them they can't do that!

You MUST judge them.

For only you know best!

They must pass your test....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.