Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 10:39AM

we've all seen the studies showing reduced heart disease and related diseases with a little wine/beer. This one suggests too much will increase cancer risks.

http://cordis.europa.eu/fetch?CALLER=FP6_NEWS&ACTION=D&DOC=1&CAT=NEWS&QUERY=012f449528fd:4518:59f00839&RCN=33294

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 10:50AM

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 10:22PM

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 05:24PM

Life is 100% fatal.

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 05:28PM

Alcohol is not the cure against fear of dying. Religion's strong faith is that, and it demands abstinence as sacricice to maybe become a little bit stronger in faith - one can never be too certain?

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 05:29PM

"We t'warnt mint to stay here forever, Ronnie." - my grandpa, circa 1974.

Ron

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 05:46PM

ExMormonRon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "We t'warnt mint to stay here forever, Ronnie." -
> my grandpa, circa 1974.
>
> Ron

Aw-w. That made my eyes wet. And he spoke truth to boot. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 05:59PM

And you get to make a whole lot of friends in AA (some of whom will give you a graduate education in crackpots but you'll learn to love many of them anyway).

Okay, drink responsibly folks; I just had a fare from the hotel where ex-Mormon conferences are hosted, and she said you guys are among the biggest consumers at the yearly fest...

And a Cabbie note to "yours_truly": faith may be a prophylactic against the "fear-of-dying" but it does not prevent death.

Date: April 11, 2011 10:56PM

" a Cabbie note to "yours_truly": faith may be a prophylactic against the "fear-of-dying" but it does not prevent death. "

Of course not, but maybe anxiety may be seen as the fear of fear, and fear automatically and subconsciously is a source for the need for certain kind of countermeasures (security, flight, defense) in the mind.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 01:56AM

To me about something I said that was a similar intellectcul convolution, "Well, that's bullshit, but it is pretty good bullshit."

There's a reason some of us know better on that stuff, and that's that we've reached the point of feeling feelings rather than intellectualizing them... Fear is fear and it's a feeling, period, and it exists in its original form in our being as a fear of falling and a fear of abandonment... Everything else is built on that, and "fear of death" is simply a belief developed based on awareness of our own mortality...

And there's no "may be" about the subconscious; that one operates on rules and understandings that can learned and don't have to be hypothesized...

You're going to have to learn to "get out of your head" and get in touch with your feelings to understand that one, however...

Date: April 12, 2011 02:19AM

Not even emotions or feelings operates without interconnections, implications, deductions, and the like. The mind is conscious manifestations of the same kind of or similar kind of 'rules' as emotions and feelings. Logic, using the mind trying to understand patterns in order to use the mind itself correctly, is also our ONLY conscious way of trying to make some sense -realistic and complete or not- of emotions and feelings....

Date: April 12, 2011 02:46AM

Consciousness may be filed under 'freedom' tools and limited and predefined by religion.
Empathy may be filed under rare 'reception' emotion state and is limited and utilised by religion.
Sex may be filed under 'being human' force and is limited for domination purposes by religion.

It's almost purely magic...

Posted by: RPh ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 10:40PM

But wait for the next study (pseudo-study). OBESITY has a direct relationship with cancer. Re-read Helamonster..it's about moderation.

My grandmother drank bourbon every evening, Lived to 102. Great Aunt imbibed occasionally, live to 108.

Damn, can everybody stop obsessing about alcohol? Knothead..yes. Life is fatal, you are right on the mark and that's how I live life.

People who have never touched a cigarette die of lung cancer.
I'm not supposed to eat food heated in plastic in a microwave. I'm not supposed to breathe in So. Cal. (impractable, at best).

I'm just going to live, enjoy alcoholic beverages, try not to get fat, exercise when it's fun, avoid tobacco smoke.. cause if I go it's gonna be on a highway and I will have no control (as if anyone does)...

Cabbie, everyone who drinks alcohol does not automatically belong in Bill W's club. Grandmother went without the evening bourbon for weeks/months/years throughout her 102 years and did not have any problems.

However, sudden withdrawal from alcohol can be fatal. Sudden withdrawal from opiates is horrible and painful but not fatal.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 02:14AM

Gee! We gave a mouse the equivalent of a human drinking 16 gallons of alcohol a day and the mouse became quite poorly!

Welllll nooooooo shiiiiiit! Who woulda thunk???? ;oD

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.