Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 02:32PM

"In banishing Beck, . . . Fox has made an important distinction: It's one thing to promote partisan journalism, but it's entirely different to engage in race baiting and fringe conspiracy claims."

"[As] . . . Beck's apocalyptic forecasts and ominous conspiracies became less persuasive, and his audience began to drift away[,], [he] responded with a doubling-down that ultimately brought about his demise on Fox.

"He pushed further into dark conspiracies, urging his viewers to hoard food in their homes and to buy freeze-dried meals for sustenance when civilization breaks down. He spun a conspiracy theory in which the American left was in cahoots with an emerging caliphate in the Middle East. And, most ominously, he began to traffic regularly in anti-Semitic themes.

"[The] vile turn for Beck reached its logical extreme . . . when he devoted his entire show to a conspiracy theory about various bankers, including the Rothschilds, to create the Federal Reserve. To make this case, Beck hosted the conspiracy theorist G. Edward Griffin, who has publicly argued that the anti-Semitic tract 'The Protocols of the Elders of Zion' "accurately describes much of what is happening in our world today."

"Griffin's Web site dabbles in a variety of anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, including his view that 'present-day political Zionists are promoting the New World Order.'"

"Fox has rightly, if belatedly, declared that there is no place for Beck's messages on its airwaves, and Beck will return to the fringes, where such ideas have always existed. Because his end-of-the-world themes will no longer be broadcast by a mainstream outlet, there will be less of a chance for him to inspire off-balance characters to violence."

"Beck, in losing his mass-media perch, is repeating the history of Father Charles Coughlin, the radio priest of the Great Depression. Economic hardship gave him an audience even greater than Beck's, but as his calls to drive 'the money changers from the temple' became more vitriolic, his broadcast sponsors dropped him. He gradually faded from relevance as his angry themes lost their hold on Americans and his anti-Semitism became more pronounced.

"It is a sign of the nation's health and resilience that Beck, after 27 months at Fox, is meeting a similar end."

("Why Glenn Beck Lost It," by Dana Milbank, "The Washington Post," 10 April 2011, at: http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/5581-why-glenn-beck-lost-it)
_____

In other words, you can't be a rabid true-believing Mormon on national cable TV and get away with it.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 04:04PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 02:35PM

I don't have any evidence of this but I don't need any and besides feelings are evidence too and God doesn't need me to have evidence so the lack of evidence proves it.

;)

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 02:38PM

I think race-baiting is part-and-parcel of what Fox "News" does. It just usually tends to be more subtle and more restricted to the "dog whistle" phrases that you hear constantly on InsHannity and O'Liely.

Posted by: LOL ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 02:47PM

Beck is an idiot. But he should have seen it coming once he started in on the Jews.
Doesn't he know that there are lots of Jews in the entertainment industry?

Beck was becoming more outlandish with each passing day. Wonder how many Mormons still support him, though? Mormons have a high tolerance to insane behavior it seems.

GOOD RIDDANCE!

Posted by: Lester Burnham ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 03:09PM

..was that anybody ever took him seriously in the first place...he was, is and always will be in the entertainment business---a lightweight with a big mouth, nothing more--although a lot of people for some reason fell under the Beck-spell.

Go figure...what do they say about the chickens coming home to roost?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 03:30PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 03:44PM

As much as mixed metaphors amuse me, Beck isn't going anywhere.

You can bet that you will see him daily as a "guest" or "commentator" on other faux news programs.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 04:58PM

Thanks for the info! I sent a thread on Mormon Anti-Semitism to Abe Foxman and a number of news agencies, Fox included! Am waiting or the prez race to be in full swing.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 05:00PM

He has a compelling personal story, saved as a young child from the Nazis by a Catholic nanny:

http://www.jpost.com/JewishWorld/JewishNews/Article.aspx?id=140466

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 05:05PM by steve benson.

Date: April 11, 2011 11:38PM

You went to Israel? That's SO cool! Students @ Purdue are working on compiling info on Jews my mom and her Resistance group saved. My mom was a political non-Jewish prisoner. Dad is Jewish. Mom had the "honor" of being discussed at the Stormfront website. They called her a "traitor to the German Reich" :) In Israel we met the daughter of one of the victims she personally . Channel 2 there found her.

They also found a photo copy of mom's transport record to one of the death camps she was in. Btw. Her "best friend" had turned mom to the Gestapo. I sent Susan from admin a video copy with outtakes as mom and I talked in Israel in an interview and 2 books written about her. It's also in the Jerusalem Post archives.
Did you go (besides Yad Vashem) to the Communities of the Nations and the Childrens Shrine?

Well, I guess the mormon hirachy now knows who we are, should they read this. Oh well! Thanks for pointing out the churches closet antisemitism! I appreciated the other poster's thread and went viral. I had no idea!
Hinkley always talked as if the morg is SO pro-Israel.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 05:40PM

Good work, Steve.

To Glenn Beck I say, Goodnight sweet prince (of darknesss).

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 05:48PM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 10:56PM

First they say they love Israel but think the Jews are taking over.

They claim to believe in God but think that everything happens because because some secret cabal (the Masons, Illuminati, Trilateral Commission, the Kitchen Cabinet, or whoever) is secretly controlling everybody and everything.

I remember meeting people in Albuquerque who believed in the entire black helicopters / concentration camps in the desert / MIB's / microchips in vaccines and the-UN-is-evil bit who had to start bunkerising and stockpiling arms before it was "too late"...some people are just nuts.

Date: April 11, 2011 11:53PM

I keep hearing all these conspiracy stories all of the time. I'm not sure whether to laugh or be worried. Hard to tell what these crazies might do.

Posted by: godesstogodless ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 10:01AM

didn't he get axed on Jesus' real birthday April 6th! How ironic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.