Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 12:01PM

Apparently, someone within the hierarchy of the church came up with the notion of stressing the idea stated in the title, that "...you knew the church was true when you agreed to be baptized, so you need to get back to the purity of that mindset..."

They have to know how weak a position this is, and so I think it smacks of the panic that is probably growing in the church.

How long before they announce that JoJu was a completely flawed individual who would have probably been sent to the Telestial Kingdom if he hadn't sealed his testimony with his blood, and then proceed to throw out a whole bunch of what makes mormonism so mormon, and then just focus on being good tithe payers?

It's likely that someone with no 'skin in the game' might feel sorry for the church.  But Exmos, we had 'skin in the game', so none of us are likely to feel the least bit sorry for the institution of the church.

Good goddam riddance to all those peculiarities...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 12:11PM

It should be, "If you were told the church was true when you were a child and got baptized, what made you grow up and realize children do what they are told?"

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 12:16PM

"...you knew the church was true when you agreed to be baptized, so you need to get back to the purity of that mindset..."

!!!!!! What Hahahaha. How desperate is that statement? OMFG Absolutely emotionally conniving.

I knew when I found my one true love that it was true. Then I found out about the cheating and lying. "True" is sort of a two way street. I had "skin in the game". They didn't. What kind of fool stays? Sometimes love dies---as it should!

When it came to Mormonism, no one had more skin in the game than I did. I was betrayed. I do not feel sorry for the church or anyone in it except for the young. If you are old enough to google, you are old enough to start thinking for yourself.

Fool me once shame on you . . . and all that.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 12:26PM

"Now wait a minute mom and dad, I need more information about the church and I need to verify the truth claims of the church before I agree to baptism."

Said no eight year old ever.

Posted by: Northern_lights ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 12:27PM

I no longer believe in any of it, but I could say a lot, and I am not even that old LOL. I would say your church has changed so much would you like a list?
It is a very different church than it was 20 years ago

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 12:40PM

When I was baptized, I also knew Santa Claus was true.

So therefore I need to believe in Santa Clause again?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 01:02PM

The church wasn't true when I was baptized. It still isn't, but a lot of things have changed.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 01:04PM

It is my opinion that the vast majority of newly baptized have not taken sufficient time to study the issues involved.
They are so searching for something to believe in that they grab the first almost reasoable proposition.
Then once they have joined it is mentally devastating to admit to error so they defend, even unto the death, that to which they have attached themselves

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2021 02:11PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 01:07PM

"When I knew better, I did better"

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 01:11PM

1. I didn't know about the 2nd anointing. You left that out.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 02:03PM

"Here's what changed. It's from your own holy scriptures":

1 Corinthians 13:11

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

I outgrew your childish church. Stupid mormons.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 02:07PM

When I was 8 I had no clue about what the church was about. I was just playing along like every other 8 year old Mormon kid did.

Posted by: Josephs Myth ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 02:41PM

My big guess might be that maybe they baptized just one too many?

Hehh..

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 06:36PM

And, if it wasn't?

See, here's the thing...

The Mormon 'church' HAS NEVER and can never be true, HONEST, up front, above board, FAIR, just, trustworthy, etc., etc., etc. Because it was started by a con or a hoax, and perpetuated by current conned cult followers.

Besides, As An 8 Year Old CHILD, you figure your mother must have investigated it thoroughly (but she was conned too, just like the missing aries).

"The 'church'" was NEVER true...
It just wasn't investigated enough-

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 01:11AM

Yeah, problem LDS Corporation. I believed it was true, because you kept some important true information from me. I found out about your lies. That's the difference.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 01:17AM

What has changed is our access to the facts. And that makes all the difference.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 07:42AM

"You knew that psycho chick was the one when you married her, what changed?"

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 11:37AM

Exactly!

This whole thing "correlates" to the endowment and you make your promises that can never be broken before you find out what is in the gift bag.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 10:54AM

When I was 8 years old, I had no clue whether the church was true or not; I got baptized because my friends were doing it.

One thing that I noticed is that Mormon parents (who believe in the New Testament) seem to forget that Jesus was baptized when he was 30 years old, not 8 years old.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 11:24AM

I knew it was not true.

I held out for a bike.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 11:28AM

:D

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 12:09PM

The whole church changed and keeps changing.

Used to be rebuked, chastised for not doing your home teaching. Also, doing it "wrong" if you didn't read the 1st Presidency dum dum message.

Now you minister to assigned members. If you phone them once a year, your are magnifying your priesthood.

Now go to any ward and talk about how you love the inspirational message from Smarty pants Nelson and watch the stares. They don't even call it the En-sun. Now it's the Liahona and has nothing from the bald men club.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 12:16PM

What changed?
#1 The Information Age came along. Now Any idiot with a smart phone can, with a few short strokes, find all the information they need to reveal the fact the leaders of this GD Doomsday CULT have been lying by omission this whole time. They failed to disclose the FACT that the foundations of this abusive CULT have huge structural flaws and no way in hell should we have ever been singing the praises of the Cuckold Bull/serial sexual abuser who started this abusive CULT!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 04:15PM

Additional facts came to light. Anything can change when additional facts are revealed.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 08:23PM

summer Wrote:
> Anything can change when additional facts are revealed.

Yes! Absolutely.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 04:30PM

EVERYTHING twice over
Besides what makes you think it was true back in 1944

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2021 04:31PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 08:56PM

This is like somebody selling you a house and failing to disclose the fact there are 55 gallon drums of toxic waste buried in the back yard that will cost you more than the value of the house to clean up, then asking, what changed?
It was a good house when I sold it to you!

Uh, yeah, the house is built like a brick shithouse, but you didn't tell me it's sitting on a GD toxic waste dump! That'd be failure to disclose a major problem with the property and a major breach of contract.

Not to mention the fact, lying by omission is a GD sin according to Joseph's Myth, isn't it? I was always told that was as bad as lying by commission when I was a MORmON!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 16, 2021 07:51AM

A cute old man stole a car from our dealership by convincing the salesman to let him test drive the car alone.

Our insurer told us that we were covered for theft, but not for “deceit and trickery.”

Mormonism did the same thing as the car thief and our insurer both.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 09:35PM

I didn't "choose" to be baptized. You know how that goes in the church. But I was, indeed, baptized into another completely different church that exists no longer.

Posted by: lostandfound ( )
Date: October 17, 2021 12:28AM

At age twelve, when I was converted and baptized, I didn't know anything. I believed what anyone older than myself told me.

When I turned 13 I knew everything. Wish those missionaries had not found me for at least another year!

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 17, 2021 11:35AM

It was a rite of passage in the mormon church. You just did it.

I was afraid of going under the water (I thought I'd never been underwater before, but later I remembered my aunt would throw us in the air at the swimming pool when we were quite small), but my dad wasn't doing the baptism and I didn't know the guy who was. I don't like to be the center of attention. I JUST WANTED IT OVER WITH and then I could relax as I had worried about it for months. I don't think I really even knew why we got baptized.

I was pretty much in shock being the naive old woman I am and always have been, that when my son was baptized, he said he saw all the men nude when they were changing clothes. HUH? Are you kidding me? So was that normal to do to an 8-year-old boy? We were already on our way out of the church, but didn't want to talk to family about what was happening, so we went through with our twins being baptized. And then I found this out.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: October 17, 2021 03:06PM

In other words "it's your fault and failure if you don't believe any more"

Of course, nicely glosses over the pressure and expectations. And the fact that most eight year olds do what they're told and believe what authority figures in their lives say. And frames the situation as a loss of something, not a gain of understanding.

Will it work? Does it reek of desperation? I'd say it has considerable potential for backfiring. People might think "yeah there's a lot I learned since I was a child".

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 17, 2021 04:14PM

GREATEST success as I don't see myself as having a strong personality--and I got out. Somehow. I failed, I'm lazy, I'm an apostate, and I'm an adulteress. Love it.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: October 17, 2021 04:23PM

It wasn’t. I realized that. That’s what changed for me.

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: October 18, 2021 02:18AM

"I change my opinion when the facts change, sir. What do you do?"

--John Maynard Keynes (1883-1946), the renowned English economist, mathematician, and author

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.