Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 10:53AM

Every day, a woman stood on her porch and shouted ,"Praise the Lord!"

And every day the atheist next door yelled, "There is no Lord!"

One day she prayed, "Lord, I'm hungry. Please send me groceries."

The next morning she found a big bag of food on the stairs. "Praise the Lord," she shouted.

"Ha! I told you there was no Lord," her neighbour said, jumping from behind a bush.

"I bought those groceries."

"Praise the Lord!" the woman said.

"He not only sent me groceries, but he made the devil pay for them."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 11:09AM

J Golden Kimball went a mission to the "Deep South".

Reverend Charles A. Weatherbee was a Baptist minister who would preach against the Mormons.

Golden and his companion were walking down the street and the minister was walking from the other direction.

As the minister got nearer to them, he said:"Good morning, you sons of the Devil!" Golden took off his hat and said: "Good Morning, Father."

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 11:42AM

It was a Catholic priest when I first heard it which would make the father greeting more appropriate.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 01:10PM

But would have made the agile insult stronger. Although brought up Anglican, I went to a Baptist Sunday school because it was close by. They did NOT like catholics and a preacher would have hated to be called Father, like a papist ;-)

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 11:43AM

Look up milk jug god. Praying to the milk jug is as effective as praying to god. You get the same answers. Yes, quick response. Later, delayed response. No, you don't get what you prayed about.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 11:47AM

Well, this is why I don't pray to a milk jug god. I stick to a magic 8 ball.

Date: October 15, 2021 11:49AM

For some reason, not matter the God, oddly--- the answer is always NO.

Posted by: Upline ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 12:31PM

It is all about staying close to the Upline.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 12:44PM

God always gets credit for everything, but never the blame.

Atheists get blamed for stuff they didn't even do. We all know it's the gays causing hurricanes and tornadoes, not atheists! ;-)

Date: October 15, 2021 01:05PM

Thank you. Nice to have someone recognize our great power!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 01:12PM

Date: October 15, 2021 01:49PM

Thank you so much. So many have no idea how difficult it really is to pull all this off!

Posted by: Upline ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 01:15PM

Downline thinking. Will not get you anywhere. Stay away from negatives.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: October 16, 2021 07:51AM

Upline Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Downline thinking. Will not get you anywhere. Stay
> away from negatives.

Digital cameras mean "no negatives".

Posted by: Josephs Myth ( )
Date: October 16, 2021 08:43AM

Jonah and the whale, "I'll show God, I'm going way way way over there in the completely opposite direction!" trying much too hard to do his own thing.

Then there is the atheists all running from any faith based belief system, engaging more faith than they themselves ever believed possible.
Think about that one a while..

When you don't know, what you don't know..

Date: October 16, 2021 10:34AM

Josephs Myth said: "Then there is the atheists all running from any faith based belief system, engaging more faith than they themselves ever believed possible."

Perfect example of the way the religious believe they have won by redefining atheism and giving it a definition that they think gives them the win: Employing the automatic assumption that atheists know there is a god but are simply "going in the opposite direction" with an I'll-show-him attitude.

Haha Love it. Thank you. If you can't beat 'em--redefine 'em!

Date: October 16, 2021 10:52AM

Done & Done Wrote:
> Josephs Myth said: "Then there is the atheists all
> running from any faith based belief system,
> engaging more faith than they themselves ever
> believed possible."
>
> Perfect example of the way the religious believe
> they have won by redefining atheism and giving it
> a definition that they think gives them the win:
> Employing the automatic assumption that atheists
> know there is a god but are simply "going in the
> opposite direction" with an I'll-show-him
> attitude.
>
> Haha Love it. Thank you. If you can't beat
> 'em--redefine 'em!

By your group's definition too, unless maybe you might want a different group?

It's not like I know know know the all the answers but the big gigantic flaws are easy peasy..

Date: October 16, 2021 11:12AM

I really don't care at all that you believe there is a God. Most atheists I know don't care either and don't spend time worrying about it. Enjoy your religion.

I know a lot of religious people who care a great deal about atheists. I don't know why as the more of us there are the larger their land tracts will be in Heaven to support even larger mansions on more available real estate. Mormons especially are counting on this. Even more they want everyone to know that.

And for this reason, that thread.

=============
But, having been raised the way I was raised, I am very interested in religion as it is a major influence on all of the world and influences my life even though I lack belief in a god. So examination of Christianity is fascinating, and, a bit scary as many of our laws and social mores come into being based upon biblical lore. Like the sun and wind and rain, I can't escape the effect.

I saw an image the other day of Jesus on the Mount and in the bubble coming from his mouth was, "Listen very carefully because I don't want to end up with four versions of this." Four? Very optimistic. And amusing. Two thousand years . . .

And, one person's flaw is another person's perfection. But so long as you define the flaws you will always be right--for yourself. I don't find anything easy peasy except for eating German Chocolate Cake when it's available.

Date: October 16, 2021 11:25AM

You might say that you don't care who might have faith, have faith that there is a God no matter how large or how (too) small their God is to them.

So if I don't really care either about whether any atheists (as a group) hold faith that there is no God (very large or verdiscussions? Is it that maybe lies more at the crux of the (arguments) discussiions?

Date: October 16, 2021 12:32PM

This is the crux of the whole ongoing discussion --not just you and me.

The religious "win" by reframing atheism in their terms.

As an atheist I do not "have faith that there is no god." Please don't define me as having any "faith" in that regard or any regard. I have big issues with the word religious faith, big.

Like most atheists, I don't claim there is no god and certainly don't have "faith" that there is no god. I simply lack a belief in God. End of story. Adding anything else is a convenient distortion.

Any threatened religious (which I take it you are not threatened) like to rephrase our statement in terms that weaken what they see as our "anti-God-position" which does not exist. You cannot be "Anti" something you lack a belief in.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 16, 2021 01:05PM

^^Exactly, D & D.

Date: October 16, 2021 01:34PM

Okay ok, in a sort of purgatory on decision making, funny.. but, really I do "get it" the big need to avoid just the words like faith. The definition that I carried around of faith made my skin crawl when first recovering from Mormo-ism for more than just a few years.

It's okay to stay there, it's okay to maybe not stay there.
I do get it, I do understand, I also hear you..

I forgot to mention I doubt any winning is actually really possible for me or anyone else.
I just maybe believe loosing could definitely be somewhat curtailed or avoided.

Date: October 16, 2021 01:46PM

You are right. And nice what you wrote there.

There is no winning. There is only "thinking you won" when often there is no need for a contest. And I find it amusing, thus, the opening joke which really gave me a good laugh as it spotlights human nature.

It's not just about religion, it's about human's ability to semantically turn anything at all back to their favor;support their agenda. The opposite of that being, perhaps, a scientific bent to just observe and catalogue and allow the conclusions to draw themselves as we dust the sediments off the evidence.

Best to you Josephs Myth. I always love someone who knows how to discuss rather than argue.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 19, 2021 01:38PM

"atheists (as a group) hold faith that there is no God" ... yet another christer strawman lie.

Date: October 19, 2021 01:51PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> "atheists (as a group) hold faith that there is no
> God" ... yet another christer strawman lie.

But apparently maybe not all atheist believers, they just have no idea and therefore could sometimes almost be considered "fringe" atheist which is just another way of being a fence sitter.

Nothing wrong with being a fence sitter, I was a fence sitter for so long people might have thought I was a flower box.

Date: October 19, 2021 02:01PM

Haha. Flower box. Love your last line. Especially as I am slow to make up my mind. Sometimes waiting for facts is like waiting for Godot.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: October 19, 2021 02:24PM

I like Steve Benson's response to the atheism is as much faith as the faithful.

This is akin to saying that not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Hobbies, like faith, are active. The not-doing is not active, it's not even present.

Date: October 19, 2021 02:28PM

I also really like, 'Atheism is a religion like Off is a channel on television."

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 19, 2021 05:39PM

“Off” is my favorite station. I watch it for the ads.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 16, 2021 09:09AM

They win by handing you their pamphlet while standing on your foot.

Date: October 19, 2021 01:58PM

Good one. Love Graham Wilson.

Everyone who thinks they are going to heaven pictures it like some all-amenities-included vacation resort like the 1% haunt now. Sandals for Saints! Ritz Carlton for the Righteous! Pious Penninsula, anyone?

What if it's only Motel 6 for the Mormons? Wailing wall included. Oh Fudge!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.