Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 01:51PM

So we all know about the 100 billion rainy day fund. Well today I have learned something about the lds desert ranch project in Florida. Here is the link it starts at 54 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs7U0omy_cw

https://www.deseretranches.com/

They made 12 lds families give up everything sell their homes and move from Arizona to Florida. Then they send 10 families back. They only kept 2 families? So first they give everything up for the lds church than they were not good enough and got sent away? How is that christlike?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 04:21PM

Honeybees are mad at you.

Posted by: °ufotofu° ( )
Date: October 03, 2021 05:26PM

You seem to have it all wrong.

The Hole Purpose of TMC is to be ANTI-Christ, anti-commUNITY, and ANTI TRUTH and right - or wrong - the only way for mormonizm to survive is to be hateful, bigoted, homophobic, pathetic, paltry, selfish, perturbed, and ugly!

If it was UNIFYING, Beautiful, useful, practical, interesting, wholesome, true or real, people wood bee flocking to it like those see gullibles eating those, uh, a crickets. Just saying

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 10:29AM

Talk about a major practical joke!!!!
W O W !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 04, 2021 12:41PM

It's Deseret Ranches, not desert ranch.

And referring to corporate transfers as being Christ-like or not is just plain silly IMHO. Corporations often find themselves painted into corners either through miscalculations on their part, or simply victims of circumstance, like the covid pandemic. People get laid off who were hired in good faith. In the case of the Deseret Ranch story, there is very little detail about these ten families, why they were laid off, and what kind of alternate arrangements were made or termination packages offered.

The ranch was a huge investment at the time, and it was primarily that ranch that put LDS Inc in some financial jeopardy, I believe it was in the late 1950s or early 60s. The chapel on the ranch was named after Henry Moyle ("the Moyle chapel", iirc).

After that purchase, the FP basically took the checkbook away from Moyle, and there was a period of pretty severe retrenchment. My own home ward was building a meetinghouse at the time, and getting Salt Lake HQ to approve any kind of expenditure was like pulling teeth.

It is still the largest cattle ranch in the US, and a very successful one at that. It is approximately the size of the entire Salt Lake valley. It also had the great good fortune of being in the middle of nowhere, east of a small orange juice processing town of Orlando, FL. Then Disney decided to build a theme park there, and all that scrub land east of Orlando has become very valuable. That was blind luck on the part of Moyle and LDS Inc. Now they are turning the western edge of the ranch into very expensive housing subdivisions.

Date: October 04, 2021 12:54PM

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 03:22PM

I can almost hear a Hinkely type voice talking about they justified sending the 10 families back and how the Church leadership was instrumental in the Lord testing those family's faith and how they all became stronger because of such a test..blah, blah blah... and none of those families ever fell away and thanked the church for helping testimonies grow.

A church must stay ahead of the spin.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 05:32PM

Long-range planning here. New Rexburg? Peasantville?

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2277048

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 05, 2021 11:58PM

Obviously, the Ten Lost Families of Israel!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 06, 2021 12:01PM

They like to call them "less elect."

Date: October 06, 2021 11:54AM

I thought the lds church started the law of consecration again.

https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/topic/consecration

Making 12 families give up everything and move from Arizona to Florida.

I was wrong it is a corporation nothing to do with callings or the temple oath to give up even ones own life for the building up of the kingdom.

While listening to the Mormon stories episode it did not even cross my mind that they could have a termination package.

Posted by: moremany-ME ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 08:59PM

I wonder if that is where we went as boyScouts ('80's). It was a weeklong summer camping trip in Florida.

It was called the "Florida Deseret Mormon Scout Encampment"
How mormon is that? Quite a bit, I'd say... (but I wasn't).

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 23, 2021 11:33PM

Deseret Ranches own The Knight Ranch and the BarK2 Ranch in southern Alberta...and they bookend The McIntyre Ranch...and of course if the McIntyre Ranch was ever to be available, the cult would buy it...for probably $100M. Chump change.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.