Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 28, 2021 06:07PM

Happy Halloween! Have you been washed away in all the rain you've had? Send some east. We could really use it. Snow here tomorrow...maybe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 28, 2021 07:48PM

Thanks LR!

Hallowe'en isn't my favourite celebration. But oh well, you have to go with the flow. So far, I've already eaten all the treats I bought ahead of time for the kids so have to stock up again.

I was a timid little kid and easily embarrassed. A neighbour man insisted I sing a song for him before he'd give me a treat. I was so shy it wrecked me to be centre stage, so to speak. Also, I wouldn't ever make it as a pro singer - I wasn't blessed with my mom's lovely voice. I don't know why I felt I had no choice but to follow his request - I could have just foregone the treat. Didn't occur to me. If an adult gave me an instruction it was an imperative in my world.

So I think that reinforced my lukewarm attitude about the whole Hallowe'en thing.

Then, eventually, being a JW in my teens their theology reinforced the darkest feelings about the night as they (1) imbue it with all the scariness possible by teaching that it's of the devil and (2) demand that followers don't observe or celebrate any "worldly" holidays or celebrations.

So, yeah. Not all that much fun with them.

But the early negative encounter with that old man and the JWs always putting Satan to the forefront (I swear they talk about him more than about their Jehovah God) has kind of put me off Hallowe'en altogether. I only do the candy thing for the kids.

So that's likely more info than you wanted to know.

I should have just said, hey thanks, LR! Back atcha!

And re the rain: Yeah, drowning here. I got soaked just putting out the garbage bin this morning. Big drips that hurt when they pound on you. However. After the summer of fires we endured and the unaccustomed heat wave I swore I would never ever ever complain about cold air or rain again. So I won't. Ever. Besides, that's easy for me as I like rain. I love the sound of rain pounding down and water running, although admittedly preferably if I'm inside and dry.

Here's some rain sounds and ocean waves for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Xm12phFts

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 28, 2021 08:10PM

Wow, that neighbor man who made you sing was a jerk.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 28, 2021 08:22PM

I think he thought it was funny. I can still remember the street and the house all these years later. Who knows what will make impressions on a young mind, positive or negative. (Well, some things are more obvious than others).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2021 08:24PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 29, 2021 04:24AM

Jerk is a very kind way to put it. I was thinking a word that begins with a J but a different one :) Things like that really will traumatize you. Like being forced to go trick or treating the day before Halloween in So Cal. I think about it every year.

Date: October 29, 2021 11:43AM

The Moridor here doesn't like Sunday Halloween so the Stirling/Raymond/Magrath/Cardston/Glenwood kids will probably be out tonight..at least that's the way it used to be.

Date: October 29, 2021 06:24PM

And it's snowing tonight too. The "regular" kids should have a good night on Sunday

Date: October 28, 2021 09:19PM

My kids loved Halloween..so did/do my grandkids. Haven't had a trick or treater out here for 20+ years...and that's ok. I always refused to perform for treats BTW.LOL.
Keep dry if possible!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 28, 2021 09:30PM

Halloween too? We have to get you guys off the lunar calendar.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 29, 2021 01:59PM

Haven't had the goblins and witches on the doorstep for thirty years which I am sooooo happy about.

BUT . . . first Halloween with my worse half who was not of this country (and barely of this world) we lived in a brand new town house where the mad grab for sweets was going to happen and we had a giant bowl of candy bars ready--snickers and all. The first trick-or-treater rang, beloved opened the door and dumped the whole bowl in the kid's bag. Whaaaa???? Not kidding!

You should have seen the kids face. Lottery winners could only hope to look that surprised and happy.

Other kids were only twenty feet away and there was no choice but to close the door, turn off the lights and lay on the floor because we didn't have the blinds up yet.

Far cry from when I was a kid and we all wandered the country neighborhood asking each other if they knew anybody who was giving out candied apples.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 29, 2021 06:35PM

The college kids will be out and loud, some of them in costume. I should stock a supply of Bud Light and vodka spritzers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.