Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 12:15PM

In the 80s people like Ralph Waldo Peter Greene, Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh to name a few created the shock jock persona.

Shock jocks told wild lies, some truth, conspiracies and mass hysteria to get ratings. If you got enough people to believe the stuff they said phones would crash telephone company offices because so many people picked up the phones at once. It didn’t matter if it was true, hurtful, illegal. Nothing mattered except ratings.

Ratings meant money from advertisers. Talk radio followed and has continued to mimic the original shock jocks.

While thinking about society of today, are masses of people following shock jocks? I cannot figure out anything else that would make masses of people believe you get microchips in a vaccine, or that JFK JR will appear in Dallas and other nonsense.

Seems to me everyone on every side is in a contest of who can be the best rated shock jock. Even religions are in the middle of it.

Any ideas

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 12:46PM

Some people get a gene that makes them prone to being "in on the secret". OR should I say most? And they are constantly on the lookout for the next outrageous rumor that for sure is true.

The trick is to be in on the secret that the secret others are in on is stupid.

The shock jock type breaking news nowadays is often more like breaking wind.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.