Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mistake maker ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 06:49PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 07:12PM

Hi. You can click on the 'edit' button at the bottom of the posting window and make changes to your own post (nobody else's obviously).

But there's only a 24-hr window to make edits - after that the edit button disappears - this is to prevent people from going back after the fact and changing their posts with dishonest intent, such as to try and deny what they wrote or to attempt to win an argument or discussion. (But pretty much I think posters here are honest; however, what do I really know).

Alternatively, you can click on the "report" button at the bottom of a posting window and "report" your own post in effect but for the purpose of asking Admin to correct whatever you want changed (they will if they have time and you are specific about details). You can also contact them to find out why a post you write ends up getting deleted (which happens for various reasons - most often if a major board rule is broken in a certain post).

As for deleting a post - you can't delete your own post. For that too you have to "report" your post and ask Admin to delete it. You don't have to give a reason.

Alternatively, you can email CZ - Admin (see his contact info at top of board).

(Sometimes, in extremis, I use 'edit' to just wipe out my own post - the posting box will stay up but the contents of your post will be gone. Again, that's an edit so it's only available for 24 hrs).

PS: You also don't have to write n/t because if there's no text the system automatically enters n/t in your sub line for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2021 07:13PM by Nightingale.

Date: November 07, 2021 07:21PM

Edit button? I don't see an edit button. Anywhere.

Date: November 07, 2021 07:30PM

OK, that must mean your post is over the time limit (24 hrs old).

The edit button shows on the left side of your post, at the bottom, the last button in the string (right after 'Report').

If it isn't there, as I said, you can click on 'Report' and ask Admin to edit it for you.

It can take time for them to answer - and you'd have to be specific about what you want them to change. As I said, you may just want to ask them to delete it altogether and then you can just start again with writing a new post.

(See - I just edited this post because it's a new one and I'm within the time limit for making changes. It also shows at the bottom of your post that you've edited it and how many times and the time you did so).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2021 07:31PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 07:30PM

You have to register to be able to edit. Even then, you still won't be able to delete a post (only the mods can do that) but you can remove all the text.

Date: November 07, 2021 07:38PM

No edit button, no report button anywhere I can find. Register? I give up. Thanks, guys for trying to help.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 07:58PM

mistake maker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No edit button, no report button anywhere I can
> find. Register? I give up. Thanks, guys for
> trying to help.

Don't give up yet!

Here's how to do it:

Look up at the top of the page. My "selection bar" gives these options: Main Page -- Forum List -- Guidelines-- Glossary --Abbreviations -- Archives -- New Topic -- Search -- Log In

Click on "Log In"

There is a line which says: "Not Registered? Click here to register now."

Click on this option.

You will need to fill in four boxes:

[Your choice of Username]

[Your email address]

[The password you choose to use on this board]

And there will be a spam prevention number given which you will need to type into the box provided.

When you have filled in these boxes, go to the bottom right and click on "Submit."

Presto change-o! You will now find yourself a registered member of RfM!

[Keep a note to yourself which contains your new username, the email address you registered with, and the password you have chosen for your own account. In the future, you will need your new username and your chosen password to Log In as a registered member. Your email address is never revealed, and will only be used, confidentially, if Admin needs to contact you.]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2021 01:25AM by Tevai.

Date: November 07, 2021 08:05PM

Oh,genius. I forgot about being registered.

Date: November 07, 2021 08:08PM

Nightingale Wrote:
> Oh,genius. I forgot about being registered.

I almost did too!

:)

Date: November 07, 2021 08:26PM

Thanks everybody.

One more thing: Can you post a photo?

Date: November 07, 2021 08:32PM

I don't think so.

I can't remember a photo ever being posted here.

Date: November 07, 2021 08:37PM

I agree. But perhaps it's possible to post a link to a photo? We link to articles.

Date: November 07, 2021 08:39PM

Nightingale Wrote:
> I agree. But perhaps it's possible to post a link
> to a photo? We link to articles.

You are right, Nightingale.

I had forgotten about this.

Thank you!

Date: November 07, 2021 08:41PM

So, how to post a link? A link for a photo?

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 09:23PM

Just put it here in the body of a post and the system will make it a link for you.

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 09:25PM

The photo must already be [hosted] somewhere.
Then you would post a link to the url.

Maybe ziller would teach you how to draw pictures on the screen, if you know what I mean. Ziller's pictures sometimes look more lifelike than life itself... not mine, but some. Right ziller? They're killer! Not just filler.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 08, 2021 02:49AM

BTW, the reason you have to be registered (and logged in) to edit a post is that if a post is made by an unregistered person, there is no way for the system to know if the person trying to edit the post is the same person that wrote it, so the edit option is disabled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2021 02:51AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.