Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 08, 2021 01:32PM

Scientology's secret services?

I'm not super in the know about Scientology but I know that if you want to continue to participate as an upstanding member you have to attempt to progress to this.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/OT_VIII

And in Mormonism they don't tell you anything but 10 percent. Flat fee for your continued progression and unfortunately it isn't to their Second Anointing.

But it amounts to the same thing as the Scientologist in my mind. A member has to keep their money coming in to feel like a member in full participation with the org.

And like Scientology, Mormonism doesn't care if you can afford to keep paying or not. I don't think this information will change in the future.

"Modern economic realities and tax practices stimulate interesting implications for the sophisticated Mormon wanting to pay a full tithe.
Unfortunately, the issues surrounding the notion
of tithable income raise as many questions as answers.
The complex problems and decisions involved in tithe paying make it clear why the LDS church has refrained
from codifying tithable income, encouraging members
to seek on their own the inspiration necessary to fulfill
this sacred law. Ultimately, each of us must stand alone
at judgment as we offer an accounting of our life’s
stewardship.
ROBERT F. BOHN
https://sunstone.org/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/043-17-24.pdf

So basically one is paying to keep being in the club except maybe after reaching OTVIII you can stop? That would be a big difference. I wonder which org gets more of your money over and average member's lifetime? Anyone see much difference here? Seems like these scams are very similar to me. Their differences probably don't amount to much?

Maybe Mormonism is actually worse? They get people to claim magic from their temples without some kind of series of programs? They get a flat take from one's take home that would make a great retirement for many.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2021 01:33PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 09, 2021 12:23PM

I don't know a lot about Scientology, only that it is expensive to go to "Clear" status.

Is that their 2nd anointing?

Mormonism needs a Leah Remini.

Date: November 09, 2021 01:26PM

Amen. I think the Christian veneer keeps Mormons safe from going total Scientology in the media.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 09, 2021 05:13PM

on some cable channel. I can't remember which one. It was jaw-dropping. I think it is much worse than mormonism. But, yes, you pay to go to the temple. They should pay those who choose to go. It was HORRIBLE.

Date: November 10, 2021 10:12AM

Your reply makes me wonder if Scientologists like their "advanced" training? If their stuff isn't boring and they are cheaper than Mormonism then wow. Crazier might mean less boring. Tom Cruise seems to like thinking his clear mind is helping the world.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 10, 2021 05:35PM

than others in the group. They just worship him when he shows up for different things that they do. You give up your entire life and I mean you move in to the places they own. The kids are raised separately from you. If you do anything questionable, they have a place they put you and the conditions are horrible. You are locked in 24/7. Getting out is extremely dangerous and even after you get out, the way they follow you is much worse than how mormons try to get you back.

I can't explain what was on her shows and she has someone else who was fairly high in the cult who is with her on the shows. I think she has a podcast now and I was thinking of listening to it. Your family DEFINITELY cuts you off if you leave the group and you never see them.

There was one young girl who was in the place in that is by Santa Monica. I just remember seeing the building once when we were driving around down there. I was shocked. She had been taken away from her mother and she was miserable where she was. I can't remember how she got away, but she did. Walked away on her own in her teens. There's so much I've forgotten. It is much worse than mormonism. Maybe some of the leaders in mormonism would like to have the power the leader of Scientology has.

Date: November 11, 2021 10:32AM

I haven't watched any exposes except the one by the British journalist where he was trying to ask questions in Clearwater, Florida.

I can't imagine the run of the mill Scientologist would be shipped off to a reeducation camp but I guess that's possible.

I would be interested in a critic of Scientology that has something positive to say about Operational Thetan training.

Come to think of it, is there an ExMormon who likes the temple?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2021 10:43AM by Elder Berry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.