Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 15, 2021 05:45PM

Why is it called the First Vision instead of the First Visitation? Or just The Visitation? A vision is someone/something you see that isn’t really there. A visitation implies someone is actually there.

Oh, could it be that the early accounts described the claimed event as a vision and that it picked up that name before before the official Father & Son Live and In Person version was canonized? Tell us, oh all-knowing apologists.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: November 15, 2021 06:02PM

Indeed! I think it has to do with the accounts the witnesses gave, where they speak of seeing the plates with their "spiritual eyes". I think Dan Vogel did a bunch of stuff talking about how important visions were considered at the time. It was practically a witness statement if you said you saw it in your mind's eye.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 16, 2021 01:21PM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 15, 2021 07:24PM

I think Joseph Smith might have ate some mushrooms growing in the woods. They gave him one hell of a hallucination. Maybe he gave them shrooms to the Book of Mormon witnesses. Maybe everyone got high at the Kirkland temple dedication. Maybe the Word of Wisdom came from the church getting too loaded and nobody was getting stuff done but man did they feel and see stuff then.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 15, 2021 07:42PM

God and Jesus never visited me when I was smashed out of my skull.

Date: November 16, 2021 01:29PM

Oooooh no, not the spiders ;-)

I once (much too early in my youth) saw the face of British singer Kevin Ayers' face detach from the cover of his album "Yes, We Have no mañanas..." LP, float into the air about 2 feet from my face and explode into a cloud of pink hearts. It wasn't due to ghawd or angels or whatever, it was simply a chemical reaction. Anyway, although it was fun, Kevin Ayers would never pass for ghawd or Jesus, etc. because: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Ayers

Smith's "visions" don't sound like hallucinations to me, they sound TOTALLY MADE UP ;-)

Date: November 16, 2021 01:19PM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Joseph Smith might have ate some mushrooms

I think it's far simpler. There were a lot of people in those days claiming to have had visions. JS just decided he needed one too in order to gain a little notoriety. So he simply made it up, following the template set by others before him. When it didn't give him as much fame as he wanted, he embellished the story. And when his survivors needed to enhance his credibility as The Prophet of the Restoration, and to legitimize the new Father & Son With Bodies theology, they promoted the most outlandish version of the "vision."

On the other hand, with all the folk magic, fringe religion, and other nonsense the Smiths engaged in, mind altering substances could've been part of mix.

Date: November 16, 2021 01:30PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 15, 2021 07:38PM

What's the Second Vision?

...etc.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 15, 2021 08:47PM

Still waiting on God and Her only begotten Daughter. That should be a really interesting conversation.

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: November 15, 2021 10:19PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the Second Vision?
>
> ...etc.

Alger's fanny. (sex cult and Uncle Joe's ephedophilia)

Date: November 16, 2021 01:22PM

Moroni, John the Baptist, Peter-James-John, the Witnesses' "spiritual eyes", the liquor-induced group visions in the attic of the Kirkland temple, the angel with Flaming Sword...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 15, 2021 09:28PM

the (claimed) event was so noteworthy, Joe didn't even bother to record & tell the exact date, sigh...

'just' two heavenly beings giving humans ultra-valuable information / guidance, that's all...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 15, 2021 10:09PM

Which one of the seven first visions would you like ?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 16, 2021 10:19AM

One dictionary definition:

"A vision is something seen in a dream, trance, or religious ecstasy, especially a supernatural appearance that usually conveys a revelation. ... Visions are known to emerge from spiritual traditions and could provide a lens into human nature and reality. Prophecy is often associated with visions."

Sounds like the religious borrowing a page from the way mediums and the occult work and making it their heavenly own. Like Joes father and the tree of life dream.

Sounds like the Joe thing too. Seems like he started with this "vision" that all the religiosos were doing at the time--not that Joseph followed fads, of course--and then decided to ratchet it up a notch with the live show.

Later it must have occurred to him to claim

Date: November 16, 2021 11:24AM

Yesterday I was listening to the Mormon Stories interview with Sandra Tanner. In it she tells of the encounter she and Jerald had with LeGrand Richards. The Tanners had sent a letter to Richards (because of some connection) asking why the earliest mentions of the First Vision portrayed a trinitarian deity rather than separate Father and Son. Richards replied that when his grandfather was told of the vision by JS he wrote about it in his journal the same day, and that it tells of the Father and Son and actual bodies.

The Tanners replied they would be very interested in seeing the journal entry. Richards replied with a transcription of selected lines.

The Tanners said they'd like to see the actual journal entry, in context. Richards relented and took them to the church's library, where he looked in the card catalog, got the call number, and had a clerk retrieve the microfilm. Richards rolled the film to the relevant spot and showed it. As they read, Jerald commented that it seemed like the grandfather was writing about an event in the past, not the same day. When he tried to roll the microfilm to find a date, Richards stopped him, took the roll from the viewer and gave it back to the clerk.

But the Tanners had memorized the call number. But when they returned to the library they were told that roll was "out for repairs." They were told the same thing weeks later. Sandra returned months later. The clerk retrieved the microfilm and asked, "How did you have the call number? Because the card had been removed from the file."

So Sandra loaded the film and found the entry they had read before. Then she rolled back and discovered the entry had been written in the 1880s.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 16, 2021 11:53AM

But this story makes LeFireBrand Richards out to be a liar!

How can that be?

Next your going to say that BYU conversion therapy took place while Oaks was president!!

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: November 16, 2021 11:27AM

1 Nephi 8:2 - (Lehi speaking) ...Behold I have dreamed a dream, or in other words, I have seen a vision.

I always thought that was weird: dreams=visions.

I've had some "visions" then, where I've done some messed up shit.

I suppose Brother Joe, to whom I don't give a break, has had some F'd up visions too.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 16, 2021 12:21PM

Of what first vision do you speak?
Do you refer to Joe Jr's hallucination?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.