Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 17, 2021 03:25PM

https://religionnews.com/2021/11/16/in-catholic-italy-de-baptism-is-gaining-popularity/

Italian Catholics are taking increasing advantage of an option the Catholic Church made available, apparently a couple decades ago, to "abandon" the Church.

Unlike LDS Inc, in the Catholic Church, it really is "a local matter". You send in a notice of abandonment or whatever they technically call it, and a notation gets added to your baptism entry, stating that you have abandoned the church.

Their process does not seem as well-oiled, nor uniform world wide, as in the Mormon Church, but Mormons tend to be first class bureaucrats, so no surprise there.

It is interesting to see the parallels with members leaving the Mormon Church. Looks like the Mormons are a trend-leader for a change. Way to go, Mos!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 17, 2021 03:50PM

The nice thing about the Catholics is that they won't harass you. If you've moved, the local church is very unlikely to know that you're even there. Catholics who move and who wish to stay active must register in their new parish. Otherwise, it's out of sight, out of mind.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 17, 2021 06:02PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The nice thing about the Catholics is that they
> won't harass you. If you've moved, the local
> church is very unlikely to know that you're even
> there. Catholics who move and who wish to stay
> active must register in their new parish.
> Otherwise, it's out of sight, out of mind.

Catholics don’t have “Home Teachers” (aka Morg spies).

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 17, 2021 10:09PM

"Their process does not seem as well-oiled, nor uniform world wide, as in the Mormon Church, but Mormons tend to be first class bureaucrats, so no surprise there."

This is not due to LDSInc. It is due in a large part to one woman, Kathy Worthington. We all owe her a great debt of gratitude. She worked very hard for a lot of years to make them make resignation a possible and smooth process. She was a Great Lady and one of the ExMo Pioneers. She also did a lot to help people at BYU to understand their rights and limitations. Kept a lot of them out of trouble. She also did a lot for gay rights in Utah. I miss her a lot. She was funny, brave and had a huge heart. Our community is diminished by her loss. I wish more of you had the opportunity to know her. I wish I still was able to post pics so I could post some of her for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2021 10:10PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 18, 2021 03:54AM

True, Kathy W was a great loss to the community. Her website was one of the first, if not THE first, to tell people in detail how to resign. I think I used her web site to resign,

Date: November 18, 2021 06:22AM

Correct. Here site was the first and only. And there were many many times that she called COB and held their feet to the fire. They knew her well and after a while they didn't try to give her any crap, they just did what she asked. She honed their system for them one resignation at a time.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 17, 2021 10:20PM

in b 4 ~ hopfully this will not affect pizza ~

Date: November 17, 2021 10:45PM

I am sure pizza will go well with your word salad. Tiresome.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: November 18, 2021 10:39AM

I'm glad to see that the Catholics in Italy are actually doing something, although as noted in the article, it's still lip service, in that it largely amounts to getting a notation in the baptismal registers.

Tyson

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.