Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 22, 2021 03:33PM

Descent of Mormonism into the abyss of irrelevance.
As more and more mind control is forced on the members
I have observed fewer and fewer attendees at formal meetings such as sacrament meeting.
However when, on the rare occasion, there is a social gathering the members "crawl out of the woodwork"
If there is free food "I'll be there" seems to be the watch word
There is no apparent reason for them to attend the same droll uninspired meetings filled with boring irrelevant talks.
Has anybody else made any similsr observations?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2021 03:38PM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 22, 2021 04:03PM

To be fair, "free food" brought out seldom seen members even back in the 50s and 60s.

It bugged me that no one ever got in their faces about it; it was just, "Oh, good to see you, Bro. Seldom! How is everything?".

Sure, maybe the first time the bishop could hope his unreproachful glad-handing would work a miracle... But year after year?

Yeah, yeah, I know that scowling at Bro. Seldom and accusing him of being a freeloader would have been frowned upon, but goddam, it probably would have felt good!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 22, 2021 04:15PM

What would Jesus do?

Feed the hungry.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 22, 2021 04:30PM

but still I observe the organization not being relevant to the daiy life,wants, and needs of the members
Everything, it seems, revolves around the wants and "needs" of the organization

Date: November 22, 2021 04:37PM

It never really was and that is why all the busy work. The appearance of things.

Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 03:21PM

Ya I've given this some though recently, religion isn't suiting the needs of the people very well, there's all these empty church houses that should be useful during the week, the new evangelical churches focused on attracting millenials have star bucks nearby, and rock climbing walls, milenials love food even when they have to pay, and daycare centers should be available for all these moms who need a break, I wouldn't mind them turning the gyms into real gyms with weights and a swimming pools, and treadmills, a theater with workout equipment would be nice... rockin out and having some fun could be what would breath life into these boring buildings

Date: November 23, 2021 03:24PM

How about homeless shelters?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 03:42PM

EB, did I once tell you that you have a gift for zeroing in on the essential, purest part of the issue ?

Date: November 23, 2021 03:47PM

LOL! You did.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 03:25PM

We had a long running joke on the monthly ward pot luck.

We said it was a restoration of burnt offerings and heave offerings.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 09:14AM

The way to an American's heart is through his stomach. There is a reason why s large Utah based retail furnishings store for years had its most successful sale when they offered free hotdogs and lemonade.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 12:17PM

party. This is NOT something I'd like to do. My husband accepted. We had a committee. They wanted to do some different things than the usual party like we had a magic show and they did some deliveries of care baskets to those in need in the ward (the YW and YM), and we had cookies and such. This one guy, who was a jerk in many ways, kept bugging me about where is the food,the dinner. The last ward we lived in always served us dinner.

If I had my way, it would have been a dinner. It would have been A LOT less work believe it or not. He was the only one who complained, but I, myself, wasn't pleased with the party. We were on the verge of going inactive and this was just a bunch of busy work for me.

I'm NOT social and this was the last thing I wanted. Although as much as I'm not active in the "ward." I "get lost" and my kids or my boyfriend or "husband" can't find me. I went over to a neighbor's one day and I disappeared for FOUR HOURS. I tried to get away, but I don't like to be rude so I stayed until she was done talking to me. My boyfriend and husband were both upset and my kids said, "Oh, she ran into someone and she's trapped talking." It happens in stores with complete strangers.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 12:20PM

My older sister and husband have still held out being mormon while most of the family is out including all her children and grandchildren. They moved to a different ward just before COVID and the few times they went, it was a snobby ward and they asked if they could go to their old ward and we all know the answer.

She isn't happy with how things have been going and has been close to OUT for a long time, started going back for her husband. But now they spend their Sundays at the movies. She's done.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 01:31PM

They need to do away with callings and learn to rely on Artificial (but inspired!) Intelligence.

Yeah, A(BI)I is the church's future!

You can't hurt A(BI)I's feelings and when programmed competently, it never gets tired of reaching out to the members and never feels slighted or insulted.

Date: November 24, 2021 01:34PM

But does it have an income?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.