Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 04:57AM

Ran into one…

“I left because it isn’t my truth.” (Whose “truth” is a lie?)

“I knew all along about Joseph Smith’s wives.”

“They give a lot to charity.” (After I corrected him on news from Mormon Leaks about their lackluster charity, he responds, “Well, I know 100% of [some type of donation I’m forgetting’s name] goes to help people.”

Bleh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 10:14AM

is ex-mormon, it is him. He will try to debate me about things and I just tell him he is deluded and leave it at that.

Date: November 23, 2021 10:22AM

Your ex sounds like the gay Candace Owens.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 10:22AM

I Usually respond casually, "Yeah. The Mormons love to say that about themselves, don't they."

Although I never remain calm when someone uses the phrase, "My truth" Who are you anyway? Kellyanne Conway? You got your very own set of custom made facts?

Date: November 23, 2021 10:28AM

I like this guy outside of this conversation. He’s a pretty decent guy.

But he calls himself an agnostic like a lot of people so he’s trying to not judge a faith and just say that he doesn’t know the answer about the after life.

Well, I think you can be agnostic and still call bull on a religion.

Date: November 23, 2021 11:06AM

Being agnostic just means you don't know about no god. But religion is here in your face and we know exactly what it is. Specifically we know what Mormonism is and pretending it is anything "praiseworthy and of good report" is disingenuous.

Also, I have issues with the whole agnostic thing. Nothing wrong with the word, but I don't see atheism as much different. I don't know what is out there in the great beyond. I just don't feel like believing in anything that doesn't register on my senses.

If there is a God though, I would be very disappointed in said creature if he finds any of man's religions acceptable. If a supreme being is willing to accept that kind of money oriented nonsense in order to get his worship fix, then I'm not impressed and would suspect he really didn't create the heavens and the earth or even an asteroid and turns out to be Emperor Ming after all.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 11:22AM

“. . .and money! Ghawd always seems to need money!!”

--His Emminence, George Carlin

Date: November 23, 2021 12:01PM

Atheism says “there is no god.”

Agnosticism says, “I don’t know if there is a god but my mind is open if there is.” Some agnostics have taken this to also mean “I shall not pass judgment on religion, no matter how silly.”

Date: November 23, 2021 12:29PM

The other thing that is annoying are those who claim atheism is
saying there is no God.

Atheism is defined as a lack of belief in a god and ends there.
No atheist I know, claims there is no God, including me. As I said in my post above, there could be one out there and who knows what it will turn out to be. And that is why I said atheism and agnosticism are not that far apart.

I guess you could say Atheists lack a belief in a god, and Agnostics aren't sure what to believe.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 03:38PM

Atheism and agnosticism each have a range of meanings that overlap extensively.

In my mind, and for my own purposes, the difference is that most atheists are committed to the proposition that there is no God whereas an agnostic is someone who reckons that humans lack the capacity to answer the question. The latter seems obvious to me insofar as it's impossible even to define God since so many people disagree and the definitions are constantly evolving. How can one believe or disbelieve in a concept with no set meaning?

What I can say with certitude is that I cannot reconcile the facts of this existence with the notion of a God who is omniscient, omnipotent, and universally loving. Subject to the limitations of human cognition, I am an atheist with regard to such a being.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 05:19PM

I don't believe that I'm a part of a something created by a someone.

I don't know if that makes me agnostic or atheist. A being in a universe is not greater than it by some metaphysical twist of reality. My existence has made it apparent to me that I can't be my own grandfather.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 07:37AM

Elder Berry wrote in part:

"I don't believe that I'm a part of a something created by a someone."

So you don't believe that you are a human being, a mammal, with a mother and a father?

(Ok, but the question was just begging to be asked, given your above response.)

Date: November 24, 2021 01:27PM

I believe that I am a someone created by a someone.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 01:58PM

Agnostic atheist:
I don't know if there are any gods, and I don't believe in any gods.

Gnostic atheist:
I know for certain that there are no gods.

Agnostic theist:
I don't know if there are any gods but I believe there is a (are) god(s).

Gnostic theist:
I know there is a (are) god(s).

Date: November 24, 2021 03:16PM

Aghausted Gnostic?

Date: November 24, 2021 03:38PM

Atheist gnostic:
No God knows that I exist.

Date: November 24, 2021 03:54PM

After all the options, I now identify as caustic agnostic atheistic diagnostic exhaustic and prognostic, AND, just to keep the bases covered, ornery old man as well.

Date: November 24, 2021 04:23PM

Dragnostic Curmudgeist

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 09:06PM

A friend once told me he was 'diagnostic' ... he wasn't sure which belief was wrong. I liked the spin on trying to think you know what is after this life... Who cares and some belief os wrong. Let's focus on that.

Date: November 23, 2021 12:04PM

I am.

Only the last one sounds like defending and given that many charities give a fraction of their donations to their causes I'd say it is a week defense at that.

Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 02:55PM

And then after the evidence of things not right in Morridor then they say "well the GAs are only doing the best they can" judge not lest ye be judged, etc, to which I respond they're not doing their best, and someone's got to say something

Date: November 23, 2021 03:25PM

You are actually an exmo not defending the church. Am I right?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 12:05AM

So you're saying the church's management structure breeds incompetence? The church is paid, by members, to manage the future direction of the church. The inmates have taken over the asylum. Good luck taking it back. Uchtdorf tried, and look where that got him.

Posted by: Run Emma Run ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 08:04PM

What happened to Uchtdorf?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 28, 2021 01:01AM

He was expected to be called to the First Presidency, but was snubbed. He's still an apostle.

Eyring is physically present as second counselor. Where he is mentally is anyone's guess.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 08:05PM

What annoys me is having to defend Mormonism when Ex-TBM's say something so blatantly incorrect

Date: November 28, 2021 06:14PM

... A guy can dream, right?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.