Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 09:41AM

Headline: Omicron outbreak at Norway Christmas party is biggest outside South Africa, authorities say

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/03/europe/norway-christmas-party-superspreader-omicron-event-intl/index.html

(CNN)—At least 13 people in Oslo have been infected with the Omicron variant of the coronavirus following a corporate Christmas party described as a "superspreader event," and their numbers could rise to over 60 cases, authorities said on Friday.

My goodness, these really bad people that should be removed from polite society! Who do they think they are? The selfishness, the stupidity. I bet these people eat horse-dewormers after a handful of dirt. Can’t fix stupid, am I right…? Oh…wait…:

“The first person in Oslo confirmed as infected had attended the party, where at least one employee had just returned from South Africa. All the attendees were fully vaccinated and had tested negative before the event.“

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 12:53PM

I can't fathom why travel to South Africa and its surrounding countries seems so urgent at present. A number of cases popped up from an anime convention in New York, as well.

Dr. Fauci was just hoping for a little more time before Omicron arrived in the U.S. so that scientists could get a better handle on it. And we just couldn't do it. We couldn't avoid travel to regions that have historically struggled with Covid, we couldn't avoid superspreader events. Why this is the case is beyond me.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 04:24PM

I disagree, summer. There's always a substantial delay before the emergence of a new variant and its recognition, by which time it has spread around the world unnoticed. A country as interconnected with global economy as the US would inevitably have been seeded before the authorities were even looking. Ultimately the solution is to vaccinate a high percentage of the global population so there are not as many large pockets of vulnerable people in which the virus can mutate and spread. That's where the effort should be focused.

As you probably know, the reason so many variants appear to come from South Africa is not because they actually evolved there but rather the exceptionally good screening that country has.

Date: December 05, 2021 04:45PM

Agreed that South Africa has robust testing and virus genome sequencing. Likewise, Denmark is seeing an uptick in Omicron cases as well.

I just wish people would play it more conservatively. Do we really need to be attending conventions right now?

Date: December 05, 2021 04:49PM

Agreed.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 12:55PM

People are letting their guard down. If it was Christmas themed, there was possibly singing and eating which doesn't help curb transmission. The article does not say if they were wearing masks. Attending an inside event is still risky from a transmission standpoint. The party took place on Nov. 26 which means probably people did not know a lot about the Omicron variant and how far and fast it had already spread.

It does not say if they required booster shots for complete vaccination to attend. I suspect they have a high percentage vaccinated, but we don't know from this. We do not know exactly how effective the vaccine is for Omicron is yet, and whether or not it is deadly for vaccinated people.

It said many other companies there are cancelling similar parties now that they are learning more. So, in a way, if they knew what we know today, they were stupid if they risked their employees gathering without any precautions(?). In their defense, they probably didn't know Omicron was there yet. I would not have attended such an event yet.

It would be interesting to know how many were hospitalized and deaths resulting from the event.

To put this in the same bucket as the dewormer and dirt folks is not the same. That's a whole level of deliberate selfishness and stupidity.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 01:27PM

All excellent comments, dagny, very well said. You hit all the high notes.

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The party took place on
> Nov. 26 which means probably people did not know a
> lot about the Omicron variant and how far and fast
> it had already spread.

> We do not know exactly how
> effective the vaccine is for Omicron is yet, and
> whether or not it is deadly for vaccinated
> people.

> It said many other companies there are cancelling
> similar parties now that they are learning more.

> In their defense, they probably didn't know Omicron was
> there yet. I would not have attended such an event
> yet.

> To put this in the same bucket as the dewormer and
> dirt folks is not the same. That's a whole level
> of deliberate selfishness and stupidity.

-----

It's easy to jump too fast, either pro or con, but best to wait for details.

I especially focus on the plain and truthful statements concerning what is presently known or not known. So many people are making quick assumptions that turn out to be incorrect. It's a lot of noise and ends up in the realm of misinformation, which can be deadly.

There is nothing wrong with experts not instantly and magically knowing everything about new variants of this virus. It's perfectly reasonable and logical that unexpected events may arise or that it takes some time to assess new situations. There are basic principles that hold true and then there are adjustments to be made when specifics are better known about something new.

I have never before experienced anything remotely like the current spectacle of so many laypeople clamouring to ridicule medical and science experts and dismiss their knowledge, experience, methods, investigations, studies, conclusions and recommendations. It's like me calling up NASA and telling them their spaceship isn't built correctly or they headed in the wrong direction on their latest launch or the space station should be repainted, or any other ridiculous idea ad infinitum. How in the absolute hell would I know more than they do? Hey, I can start your IV if you need urgent rehydration. I can't fix your leaky plumbing. I'm a nurse, not a plumber.

Simple concept. Right?

Date: December 05, 2021 04:51PM

I agree about not making quick assumptions about Omicron. However I listened to an interview with Moderna's CEO a few days ago, in which he expressed concern that his company's vaccine might not be up to the task of adequately defending against Omicron. If he's concerned, I'm concerned.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 05:10PM

I have a soft spot in my hardened metallic circulatory pump for innocents such as you, Summer.

The Moderna CEO is THRILLED! that there is evidence that the original roll-out vaccines don't provide protection from this or any new variant.

Because ... mo' money, mo' money!

If nepotism does not explain his elevation to his current position, then it had to be his business acumen.  And people do not prove "business acumen" without leaving a wide swath of destruction in their trail.

Ultimately, management and the shareholders come first.  Most humans are wired this way: "Me first!"

When the time comes that we, the meek, will inherit the Earth, what shape do you think the poor ol' planet will be in?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 05:41PM

summer Wrote:
> I listened to an interview with
> Moderna's CEO a few days ago, in which he
> expressed concern that his company's vaccine might
> not be up to the task of adequately defending
> against Omicron. If he's concerned, I'm concerned.

I didn't intend to indicate that we shouldn't be concerned. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Date: December 05, 2021 05:01PM

Nightingale Wrote:
> I have never before experienced anything remotely
> like the current spectacle of so many laypeople
> clamouring to ridicule medical and science experts
> and dismiss their knowledge, experience, methods,
> investigations, studies, conclusions and
> recommendations.

It's remarkable, is it not? People think that their native intelligence and good judgment are superior to expert analysis and technology, like so many yahoos who think their rheumatism is a more accurate indicator of the weather than science.

Taking pride in one's own ignorance is hardly the mark of mental and emotional balance.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 03:06PM

From what I read about the Omicron variant, the cure is easy. Just turn off your television.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 04:31PM

There is certainly a difference between making rational decisions based on awareness, and irrationally panicking based on that same info. If you're prone to the latter then perhaps denial might be the better option for you. Dying while believing that the prayers of friends and family will give salvation will perhaps be of comfort to some.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 04:25PM

I long ago quit enjoying parties and I never liked church parties. My husband and I would argue every time they had a party.

I got COVID from my husband going to a super spreader event, an art show by Park City over labor day. I read later that people who picked up COVID if they were vaccinated wouldn't spread to people in their home. Oh, really! My son and I both got it from him, the only 2 who live with him. Hopefully, I'm set for the moment. Husband is going to ask about our boosters tomorrow at work (hospital) as they had told us to wait until April?!?!? because we got monoclonal antibodies, too.

I didn't get "that" sick, but I really don't want it again. I have too many health problems.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.