Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: December 21, 2021 08:18PM

I just need to get this off my chest because I don't know who else would understand, and ya'll have good insights here.

My boss bought everyone on the team a present for Christmas along with a christmas card (about 20 people). It was a nice gift when she usually just gets us candy.

The christmas card was a normal, run of the mill card. But she wrote underneath her name, "Romans 3 and 1st Corin ##" I didn't even realize they were bible references at first until I heard someone talking about it.

I think everyone on my team but me is a christian, just based on hearing random comments from them, so no one else probably thought anything of it. But isn't this innappropriate? Granted, she didn't write any scripture in the card, just the references. I looked up what she was referencing, and it wasn't even about jesus "birth", but something about resurrection and dying for sins.

Part of me wants to point out that it's not okay. But I don't want to sound ungrateful for the gift, or like I'm taking offense over something small. I just don't think this kind of thing should ever be included from a boss to employees when you don't know everyone's personal beliefs. I could say something to HR, but I don't want to make this a thing. Am I right to just be annoyed in silence?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 21, 2021 08:38PM

Ugh. I am rolling my eyeballs in solidarity with you. Inappropriate to say the least. Not worth ruining your relationship over, though. Laugh it off instead of being annoyed in silence.

The religious have such surety that they are right and that God is on their side that they ignore polite societal rules of gracious conduct and assume anything biblical is always in good taste. Mormons aren't the only ones with no boundaries.

Luke 23:34 is the way you could look at it.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 21, 2021 08:39PM

I've been similarly annoyed in silence multiple times. There are certain Christian types who can't fathom that everyone doesn't think like them. I honestly don't think they know that much about how others have to hold their nose around their dumb religion at work.

I don't think you should say anything. She has demonstrated what a narrow mind she has, and she meant it with the best intentions.

I had a boss once who made us all sing Xmas crap and PRAY at an office party. He prayed for all of us and for the business. I was looking around and a couple others were equally mortified. I had another boss leave me scripture and Jesus junk on my desk. Honestly, what they did was tip me off about who NOT to be open with at work.

Posted by: Cftexan ( )
Date: December 22, 2021 07:00AM

Oh man that's crazy, prayer at work! My company did something like that at a large company wide event and I was shocked.

You're right, I could look at it in a way of knowing who I can and cannot be open with.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 21, 2021 08:52PM

Are there any indications that you're being otherwise discriminated against because of your non beliefs? Or has there been repeated preachy behavior? If so, you may want to start documenting your case. Otherwise, this seems like a minor insensitivity on the part of your boss that's better brushed aside and forgotten.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 21, 2021 09:18PM

Humberto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are there any indications that you're being
> otherwise discriminated against because of your
> non beliefs? Or has there been repeated preachy
> behavior? If so, you may want to start documenting
> your case.

There is nothing unwise about documenting your situation just in case, but unless you foresee a possible legal action down the road about your employment, be certain to think through possible consequences before you tell anyone (including your fellow employees) what you are doing.

> Otherwise, this seems like a minor insensitivity on the part
> of your boss that's better brushed aside and forgotten.

In my opinion, this is the wiser course. This kind of thing happens to non-Christian employees all the time, and usually the best practical answer (assuming you wish to keep your job) is to let it slide without comment. Should this situation evolve into outright proselytizing, you can then decide from that point.

In the meantime, you might want to check into your state and county laws so you know, for a fact, where you legally stand.

Date: December 22, 2021 07:02AM

This was the first instance by my boss. I'm not too worried about it happening again. It didn't happen last year, so maybe she was just feeling extra christiany this year...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 21, 2021 10:41PM

I was going to say, "spray paint a pentagram in her parking spot" but decided not to.

This is like when an old relative sends you a $100 bill for your birthday, along with an old rosary she wants you to have. Just take it to heart that your boss appreciates you and wants the best for you.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 22, 2021 01:37AM

But you kept the rosary and threw away the $100, didn't you?!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 21, 2021 11:20PM

welp ~

at least OPie's boss got OPie to look them up ~

winning ~

Date: December 22, 2021 07:07AM

Dangit, she got me! Lol.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 21, 2021 11:20PM

I would file it under minor annoyance and let it pass. A smarter boss would give a generic "Happy Holidays" card.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 22, 2021 01:07AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would file it under minor annoyance and let it
> pass. A smarter boss would give a generic "Happy
> Holidays" card.

I agree with summer.

"Happy Holidays" is an excellent way to go.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 22, 2021 01:40AM

Have we become too sensitive?

My relatives, JWs refused to “celebrate” Christmas, but they sure scooped up all the gifts and cash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2021 01:42AM by kathleen.

Date: December 22, 2021 07:06AM

Maybe I am being a little too sensitive. I think I'm more annoyed at this because I'm just over being in a heavy religious area.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 22, 2021 01:15PM

Me, too. I’m sick of it. There’s always someone trying to give me thier paper handout, which I just shake my head no.

You’re in kindof a tough dilemma with this one. You have to sort out if it’s offensive enough to provoke a complaint. If it’s from someone who’s otherwise gracious and polite, I’d ignore it.

One thing, tho. The *Christmas gift* is a Christian statement itself. I had a boss who gave us some very beautiful gifts one year. I sent her a thank-you note. Later she commented that I was the only one who thanked her. So, even though her card had the reference that you didn’t like, if you’re going to KEEP the gift, it’s important to acknowledge and appreciate it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 22, 2021 01:35PM

Great message on etiquette.

I've developed a fool-proof method of dealing with pamphleteers. When they offer something to me, I smile and say, "no thank, but could you lend me $20?" They infallibly disappear like the roadrunner under a falling anvil.

Date: December 22, 2021 04:50PM

Yes, I have thanked her for the gift. I actually really enjoyed it because it matched with something I already had in my home and let her know that.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: December 22, 2021 02:40AM

Best advice is just to drop it. But you can imagine returning the favor by presenting a card of your own with a couple of selected bible verses that can be looked up. "Why do I have to meet with HR? What do you mean, exit interview? All I did was reference Holy Scripture! What are you, heathen?"

Ezekiel 23:21 NIV
"So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled."

Song of Solomon 7:2-3 NIV
"Your navel is a rounded goblet that never lacks blended wine. Your waist is a mound of wheat encircled by lilies. Your breasts are like two fawns, like twin fawns of a gazelle."

Of course, don't actually do this. She won't appreciate that you know the bible better than she does.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 22, 2021 02:31PM

I once had a client that was boldly, obnoxiously evangelical. They even had a big bronze mission statement in their lobby declaring their beliefs. A grand example of "praying in public to be seen of men." But they were always trying to swindle us in ways great and small. They were finally caught, convicted and driven out of business when a less religious person in the financial department blew the whistle on some very crooked and illegal financial finagling.

My mission president, who was dearly loved by many people in the church, was another case of an outwardly pious person committing financial crimes.

I tell this as a heads up. Your boss might be the same type of Christian. Or maybe not. But if law enforcement shows up some day, don't be totally shocked.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 22, 2021 02:47PM

There is a service company in my area whose advertisements always include a riff on intelligent design.

Every time I hear one I wonder how many people are as suspicious as I am...

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 22, 2021 03:30PM

I have had over 3 dozen bosses over the last 25 years and only one game me a semi-religious greetings card. As you can tell I have had a lot of scrooges (and stooges) for bosses :D

If I really got worked up over it, I wound return the favor Mormon style: Buy the biggest toilet brush and place the Mormon reference of Cleanliness is next to Godliness on a Xmas card.

Add this at the bottom of the card: Next time a big turd gets stuck in the bowl use this brush to send it to eternal redemption.

And buying your TBM friends giant toilet brushes is a great way to get them to stop trying to reactivate you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2021 03:31PM by messygoop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.