Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 20, 2021 12:28AM

My Mom informed me that her stake is cutting off Zoom streaming for all church meetings beginning the new year (2022). It was announced today during her ward's xmas service.

I think those who have chosen to stay "active" thru zoom will NOT return to in person worshipping. Kind of strange considering that the church recently amended its handbook to allow weekly SM counts to be accredited thru streaming.

On a side note, not one TBM ward member could be bothered to help my elderly mother to get her tablet to update the zoom app so she could participate when her ward was shutdown due to a covid outbreak. As the apostate son, I would gladly help her but I live 2000 miles away.

A decent church leader would ask members if they needed assistance to join remote meetings. But this is the do as I tell you church where leaders can't be bothered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2021 12:29AM by messygoop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 20, 2021 12:55AM

Clever - abandon streaming just as a ferociously infectious covid variant is getting up a head of steam in the US. Two weeks from now I expect it will be on a serious rampage.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 20, 2021 01:16AM

The current stake presidency has 2 medical doctors serving. When there was a previous covid outbreak, they immediately shut down in person participation for the ward. In my opinion, they have taken reasonable efforts to keep people safe and openly supported safe protocols at public venues (unlike Bednar who has ridiculed the idea of keeping people safe).

At the ward level, every member of the bishopric wears a facemask while sitting on the stand. However, the ward has a bunch of anti-vax members (many suffered from the last outbreak) who will not wear a facemask while being indoors.

So where is this directive coming from?

Area presidencies who want their version of the world restored to pre 2020 events?

Stake presidency who submitted less tithing revenue?

Wealthy donors who feel their big donations to the church should dictate local church policy?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 20, 2021 02:05AM

I would think it was the area presidency that ordered a stop to zoom attendance. If there are 2 MDs in the stake presidency, I think they would know better.

I'd withhold final judgement until Jan 1 actually rolls around. The decision may be reversed. If the decision is not reversed, and if omicron flares up the way it has given every indication it will over the last week, either people will refuse to attend, or a disastrous level of infection will ensue, or most likely, a little of both will occur.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 20, 2021 01:05AM

Zoom streaming isn't bringing in enough loot.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 21, 2021 01:12PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Zoom streaming isn't bringing in enough loot.
YOU'VE GOT THAT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Power and mind control ploy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2021 02:12PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 20, 2021 01:30AM

"A decent church leader would ask members if they needed assistance to join remote meetings. But this is the do as I tell you church where leaders can't be bothered."

This really bothers me. It's so... cold. Unfeeling, thoughtless and rude. Unchristian. Not even an attempt to lead and it would have been so easy to do.. A perfect job for the teens and it would have been so appreciated. Not just a decent church leader, a decent human.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 20, 2021 02:46PM

Exactly what Sus says, word for word. That's what I was thinking. Thanks for putting it so well.

I would add: Too many people are absolutely clueless.

Cannot put themselves in another's shoes to see what life is like from their perspective.

Some live in alternate universes and you just have to shake your head.

What is so difficult to comprehend about older folks not being tech-savvy or even some people not having access to the necessary devices. Maybe they could be creative and use some of the tithing proceeds to provide access for their members who otherwise struggle or miss out. Although perhaps some may be relieved to have a reasonable excuse for not tuning in. However, for those who wish to but cannot it could be sad and lonely. Leaders not doing their jobs (to care for others' needs and be concerned with every individual under their watch).

What would some members do without their apostate offspring? Sheesh.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 21, 2021 01:48PM

You know NG, I don't think it would even cost them. I bet if they put the call out lots of people have older tech they would be happy to donate. Stuff that is past current games but plenty good enough for streaming the meetings. Make it a community thing.

Hey! Who can help out? Who has old tech they can pass along? Come on kids, help us out with your mad skills here!

But no. Just ignoring people and their needs is the way to go.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 21, 2021 02:23PM

Good point.

The depth of cluelessness is breathtaking. Heartless and clueless. In so many ways. It's very disturbing.

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: December 20, 2021 05:13AM

Some LDS have heard maybe something or other about Zoom privacy issues and many Mormons still use Skype pretty often.

The other possibly less known video app's are WhatsUp, GoogleDuo, GoogleMeet (hangout), ezTalks, ZohoMeetings and BlueJeans.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: December 20, 2021 01:51PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> On a side note, not one TBM ward member could be
> bothered to help my elderly mother to get her
> tablet to update the zoom app so she could
> participate when her ward was shutdown due to a
> covid outbreak. As the apostate son, I would
> gladly help her but I live 2000 miles away.
>
>

I was also the apostate son of a TBM mom. In the three years before she died, I was the one who made sure that visiting teachers came to see her and to bring her the sacrament. And I was the one that made sure her Temple Recommend stayed current and that she had garments. My UBER-TBM brother could not be bothered to do anything for her unless specifically asked by me.

Sigh........

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 20, 2021 02:27PM

That what it comes down to is
GET THE MONEY FROM THE MENCH

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 24, 2021 04:11AM

it's the MOReMONey church

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.