Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 12:45PM

I just read this. I do not recall hearing about this as it was changed a few months ago with little fanfare.

So, exactly what does this mean? Couples who want to marry after the deaths of their first temple married spouses can get married by the bishop etc, but never in the temple "for time". OR..."get sealed for eternity" in the temple????? That would seem like a total admission that polygamy is a core belief.

Someone who knows about this change, please enlighten me. I really am confused.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 12:57PM

The fact that a man can be sealed to more than one woman but a woman cannot be sealed to more than one man is already, on its own, "a total admission that polygamy is a core belief."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2022 12:59PM by lurking in.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 12:58PM

Is this where you read it?

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/05/25/latter-day-saint-leaders/

Seems pretty straightforward... The temples are busy, busy, busy! Don't bother us with temporal silliness!

Posted by: Notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 03:34PM

I don’t know why but it never occurred to me that a TBM couple would purposely plan a civil wedding immediately followed by a temple sealing. Clearly all the stories of people Being left out of loved ones weddings made an impact. It never ceases to amaze, the depths they’ll go to appear more acceptable.

Date: January 02, 2022 03:57PM

But it's unlikely there will ever be a missionary campaign based on "Join now and only have 5% tithing!"

Although I'm sure someone has floated it, anonymously, as a possibility...

Heck, why not get a revelation that Malachi got it all wrong, that he misplaced the decimal point, and it's not tithing, but centithing: 1/100th of a man's increase.

Also, women, since they already pay a price by not being able to have the priesthood, don't have to pay centithing.

Then all the $400,000/year net income mormon dentist has to do is pay his wife $388,000/year to keep his books and then at centithing settlement, the family would only owe $120.

Knowing ghawd as well as I do, I'm quite sure he'd be very proud of that family!

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 04:40PM

My wife was a convert and not a single member of her family is a member. We had an elaborate post-temple ceremony that was as close to an actual wedding as possible so that her family could be included.

Leave it to my TBM family to make insensitive comments about the extra ceremony being unnecessary...

At one time I was telling my mother how the one year wait policy was hurtful to families. She denied that it was. The irony of her denial was lost on her. My parents were married civilly first because they're both converts and wanted their families involved. They were then sealed in the temple immediately afterwards, because the one year wait rule had not yet been put in place. Her deference to the church is so complete, she failed to recognize the hypocrisy.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 05:36PM

So mormons are allowed to choose marriage options from a menu ?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 09:53PM

Marriages aren’t done in temples. Why? Because marriage is a legal entity and it falls under the law of the land. A sealing is a religious ordinance and does not fall under the law of the land. If the church did marriages in the temple the law could force gay marriages to be performed. Since sealings are not a legal entity the law cannot force gay sealings.

In the temple spiritual polygamy is still practiced because multiple women can be sealed to one man. A black man can have multiple white women sealed to him though thank’s to Spencer W Kimball. I wonder if Brigham Young kicked his ass for making that possible when he passed through the veil?

Date: January 02, 2022 10:09PM

You know that Brigham Young is totally talking smack about Pres. Kimball, after watching the Holy Ghost videos of Spencer's teen years, when Spencer turned himself Gay by over-masturbating!

"Over-masturbating"    That's an interesting concept...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 03:36AM

US law allows marriages to be conducted in religious facilities, be they Mormon chapels, Catholic cathedrals, holy landscapes, Jewish synagogues, or any number of other places. Since Mormon temples are, like Jewish temples, religious facilities, what happens in them are legally recognized marriages.

Under the law of the land, Mormon temple weddings are as good as any conducted anywhere else.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 04:00AM

The LDS church is now encouraging couples to get civilly married before getting sealed. My cousin is a sealer. It’s only a civilly recognized marriage if the officiator is licensed by the state and the couple have purchased a marriage license. Unless the sealer has the right credentials and the proper paperwork is in order it’s not a valid marriage.

Date: January 03, 2022 04:42AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The LDS church is now encouraging couples to get
> civilly married before getting sealed.

That first sentence is irrelevant. The question is whether your statement that marriages aren't done in temples is correct.

---------------------
> It’s only a civilly recognized
> marriage if the officiator is licensed by the
> state and the couple have purchased a marriage
> license. Unless the sealer has the right
> credentials and the proper paperwork is in order
> it’s not a valid marriage.

Precisely. The state recognizes temple marriages according to the same rules that apply to all other religious and licensed entities.

Temple weddings are legal marriages.

Date: January 03, 2022 12:25PM

So an “undocumented” mormon temple sealer can marry me and Raquel Welch once she passes?

I gotz ta know!!

Date: January 03, 2022 12:39PM

As a probationary member of my coven, you are entitled to my services as an ordained priestess and marriage officiant. I will therefore wed you to as many of the dead, walking or otherwise, as your heart desires.

For a modest fee, of course.

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 03:21AM

Mormon 'Church' Confuses Time On Earth to be Time Out BEFORE "Eternity" Comes At Death's Door, or, Window in this case.

Mormons are taught to look at eternity through a window, rather than open invitation and reminder to go out and play, while you can.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 03, 2022 12:54PM

The whole thing is just one big joke
It is only about mind control and collecting money
Nothin elses matters to the ecclesiastical higher ups

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.