Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 29, 2021 02:17PM

BIC Brain Inversion Crisis

I know of an exmo who is dating someone who recently got out of prison for firing a gun above his girlfriends head during an argument. He has now gone heavy into drug use and I don't mean pot. She is standing by him, and even though she had her vaccine is now quoting social media which says people are dying by the thousands from the booster. Made me think . . .

I know a few Exmos who were BIC who have never worked through the indoctrination and in my opinion really "oughta".

Getting the dirt on Joseph, the BoA and BoM and etc is all well and good but it is only the first step. Reading that bit about narcissists liking Mormonism because it teaches their children to be obedient, servile, and do anything and everything on the say-so of some "authority" no questions asked got me mulling . . .

What about step two? Don't skip it.

Where has the indoctrination left you if you were BIC and had the personality/propensity to swallow all wholesale at the cost of personal development? I know where it left me. A trained monkey.

As a BIC I was taught to accept everything without question from my elders which cost me good decision making skills and lacking in critical thinking skills.

I was taught to always turn the other cheek which left me accepting bad behavior at my own expense.

I was taught to accept many things as my fault when they just weren't or were natural to any normal being leaving me feeling inadequate and sinful and unworthy.

I was taught to be exactly what they wanted which left me without a personality of my own which left me as a crashing bore when I finally got out into the real world.

All the above can follow you around unchecked like toilet paper hanging out the back waistline of your pants where all the world sees it and you don't know its's there as it remains part of the matrix of your life. For some it can be a lot of work to extricate and realign. My excavation left a whole the giant meteorite that killed the dinosaurs would have been proud of. But---you gotta know you need to do that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: December 29, 2021 02:33PM

Agreed. I think that exmos who remain theists or Christians have not actually escaped the mechanisms that trapped them in Mormonism to begin with. They've simply left one religion.

I am grateful that my path out of Mormonism also lead me out of Christianity and religion altogether. It's made me a lot more discerning and skeptical of things and actually enriched the world as I felt compelled to research science, biology, cosmology, and the fundamental basics of logical arguments. It's led me on a path to seeking truth instead of just settling for something to substitute my spiritual abuse with.

Date: December 29, 2021 05:49PM

I, for one, couldn't agree more and you stated that well. It's hard for some to get that second foot out the door but the rewards are immense.

Once I was out I looked around at a lot of other religions, even Eastern religions, and the more I looked at all the churches I just saw the same old cake but each frosted with different icings and some had sprinkles or coconut.

Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: December 29, 2021 04:51PM

I was so Mormon that I thought my patriarchal blessing was inspired. I thought that god actually called me through a prophet to serve a mission to Argentina. I thought that god wanted me to get married and start a family ASAP, as a newly returned missionary, only a sophomore in college.

Here’s something that haunts me. While on a family vacation in 1972, I attended a non-LDS church service in Kona, Hawaii, and I met the minister who asked if I’d ever heard of the book, “No Man Knows My History.” I never gave it a second thought but I wonder what would have happened if I’d looked up that reference back home in California. Would I have realized the truth at 16 years of age or, at a minimum, allowed some little seeds of doubt to germinate and grow?

It took another 31 years for me to discover the truth about Mormonism. More than half way though my professional career, with a family of three daughters raised, I finally came back, full circle, to the question, what did I really know about the life of Joseph Smith, outside of the official version of TSSC? No sabía nada. Non sapevo niente. 저는 아무것도 몰랐어요. I knew nothing.

Cuz X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2021 04:52PM by cuzx.

Date: December 29, 2021 05:44PM

NMKMH Best Book ever for me. At least on that subject. I wonder too. What if I had read it when I was young. I am fearful of the answer.

Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: December 30, 2021 03:22AM

Here’s the alternate life plan that could have been: perpetual inactivity, no callings, no tithing, and no mission, as I seriously contemplated entering the military right out of high school in lieu of junior college.

Eventually, I did military service between college and a teaching career, with my mission language experience actually laying the groundwork for my occupational choices. Well, I can only imagine…

Posted by: sb ( )
Date: December 30, 2021 01:00PM

I spent the better part of an afternoon, right before my mission, trying to walk on my parent's pool

That's how Mormon I was.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 30, 2021 01:41PM

I remember hiking out by Lake Mohave, and climbing a fairly steep hill and then looking down and arguing with myself regarding the issue of faith . . .

If I had enough faith I could launch myself off the steep hill and fly.  I knew it!  I just had to have faith!  The leap of faith!

Nope, insufficient faith.  I had my arms spread, but I didn't push off to fly ...  

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 12:44PM

This is why you don't do LDS, kids.

Posted by: jazbo ( )
Date: December 30, 2021 01:19PM

I had resigned from the Morg, but DH was still struggling.
he was BIC, RM and attending another church, thinking that was enough for leaving the Morg. So one day he excitedly shared this: to show faith, you have to step out of the boat. I said that may be true, but what you have done is just step into another boat. He was upset with me till he really thought about it. He left the new one and resigned from the Morg.

Date: December 30, 2021 01:52PM

Nice.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 30, 2021 02:01PM

It has been my experience that "true believers" are NOT rational human beings
AND AND AND
You cannot deal rationally with an irrational person.
Don't even bother to try
It won't happen!!!!!!!!!
come on folks!
Be realistic!
The irrational human being will kill you before they will even consider your point of view.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: December 30, 2021 03:00PM

when I did "soaking" I pretended my penis was just doing baptisms for the dead.

Date: December 30, 2021 03:02PM

Did you compute batting averages while doing baptisms for the dead?

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 30, 2021 05:45PM

...that I didn't know words like ward, garment, pioneer, sacrament and testimony had meanings outside Mormonism.

Date: December 30, 2021 06:16PM

Ha. Yes.

Lately I have read the word "agency" in a lot of articles and used in conversation and I thought, 'Damn. I thought that word was only the Mormons knew about that word used that way.' For everybody else it was just Travel Agency or Advertising Agency and that was it for the word in the gentile world.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 30, 2021 07:33PM

And "free agency" as is used in the sports world confused the hell out of me for a while.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 30, 2021 07:22PM

I was so indoctrinated that I believed without believing. Deep down, I knew the teachings to be problematic. I knew they couldn't be true.

But even so, the thought of breaking away, of violating a "commandment", filled me with intense anxiety.

It was years after walking out of a chapel for the last time that I finally drank an iced tea without a twinge of guilt.

Posted by: fudley NLI ( )
Date: December 30, 2021 08:57PM

...when I lied, I believed I was telling the truth.

Date: December 30, 2021 09:09PM

...lies based on Eternal Truths!  Yes!

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 10:47AM

We all know what I did. I've said before that my dad kept asking me if I knew he was gay before I married him. I avoided the question for MANY years, but he never gave up asking. He asked me about 10 months before he died and I told him I did know and I told him why I married him--the leaders told me I had to save him, that he was damned. My dad was FURIOUS. If he had been younger, I tend to wonder what he would have done.

His next statement to me was, "I always knew you were too intelligent to marry someone gay if you knew he was beforehand."

My parents may have raised me mormon, but we were far from a typical mormon family EXCEPT me. I was going to be perfect and save my family. I was going to make sure nothing bad happened to me or mine. And look what happened. Even after all these years, 25 since I quit believing, I have people shocked that I'm not mormon anymore including my siblings (who aren't active and haven't been since their teens).

I gave up all my hopes and dreams for mormonism. Even if I've healed a lot, I am broken and always will be from what they did to me and my life and the lives of my children.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 06:10PM

"I Was SOOOOO Mormon that . . ."

Now I'm having a vision of Johnny Carson saying "I Was SOOOOO Mormon that . . ."
And then Ed interrupts him, saying "how mormon were you" and Johnny gives Ed a dirty look.

*you young whippersnappers will not get the reference*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2022 06:11PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: January 04, 2022 10:33PM

I accepted the calling of cleaning the church when we all know LDS Inc has $100,000,000,000.

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: January 04, 2022 10:33PM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 05, 2022 03:53AM

I was asked to make all the Road Show props . . . and I did.

Date: January 05, 2022 10:24AM

I was sooooo human that when the church asked me to feel bad about who I was, I had trouble completing that assignment. In the end I failed.

I tried. I really tried. But I have a weakness for my self.

Date: January 05, 2022 12:09PM

The vast majority of us believe we have saving graces and that we are worth knowing!

The percentage of us who do so is big enough that we can get away with labeling it as "normal".

Date: January 05, 2022 12:52PM

Normal? NORMAL?!?! PLEASE! No. Not Normal.

Date: January 05, 2022 01:08PM

"Normal" is the color & pattern of humanity's favorite camouflage...

Date: January 05, 2022 01:33PM

That right there is worthy of cross-stitch pillow with a gingham border. Saving it.

Date: January 05, 2022 01:44PM

I thought so, too!   But modesty forbade me from making a big deal out of it.

Do you do screen printing allí en la fabrica?  

Date: January 05, 2022 01:51PM

No, screen printing es una cosa que mandamos afuera cuando lo necesitamos.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.