Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 11:03PM

After spending a lovely afternoon reading a gripping murder mystery (with lots of gore) my exciting evening included watching a documentary about the life of Randy Bachman, famous Canadian musician.

Wow, he was a good-looking guy. Still looking pretty darn good. But. The clothes in the '70s. Multi-coloured stripes and bell bottoms. Sorry - I laughed. Randy has aged better than those fashion statements have.

I missed some of the documentary - I'm not sure if it was centered fully on just his music career or if they included parts of his life.

I looked him up, again, as I couldn't remember if he was BIC. He converted because his wife was Mormon. I'd heard that before but had forgotten. He apparently was faithful to the Mormon doctrines, at least the basics, but eventually he left the church. Must have been tough to fit in and knuckle under, rock musicians not making up the bulk of Mormon membership, and not known to adhere to their types of principles. Randy's musician son, Tal, was the first to exit the church and eventually, iirc, he helped his father see the light.

Tal used to post here. I enjoyed his input.

I imagine their absence was noted by the church, if only due to the drop in tithing receipts.

This National Post article about Randy that I came across tonight is dated (2014) but still interesting. A few comments made me laugh:

“Thornton [musician] never subscribed to Mr. Bachman’s strict Mormon rulebook.”

Again, I respect Randy's adherence to the rules, especially given the circles he moved in.

In the article Randy says: “Not drinking or doing drugs, you have to do something.” (referring to food) Funny how well known it is in the wide world that Mormons don't engage in those activities, even if people know nothing else about them.

Another quote from the article:

“In his [Randy's] mind, he’s still the scrappy fighter from Winnipeg who built audiences for two bands one bar at a time (without having a drink).”

I didn't see this - would like to find it and see what he said. I have found Tal to be quite outspoken in his opinions:

“… [Tal] had a public fallout with the Mormon church — his turn in Bill Maher’s documentary-style takedown of organized religion, Religulous, is striking …”

Anyway, so even a day spent relaxing turns out to remind me of Mormonism. It's a bit of a laugh to think of a rock musician being a Mormon. Although it's sad to think of how it likely brought difficulties into their lives. I'm glad both Randy and Tal went after what matters to them in life - their music - and discarded what in the end didn't matter at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2022 11:04PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: January 01, 2022 11:38PM

I love listening to his weekly Canadian radio show Vinyl Tap: https://www.randybachman.com/vinyl-tap

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 03:36PM

I was huge Randy's Vinyl Tap fan. Loved the documentary. The scene where he's at his guitar collection here in Lethbridge (his daughter lives or lived here) got everyone wondering where the mysterious storage unit is/was.
When Vinyl Tap unceremoniously ended (another in a long line of canceled CBC shows that a new boss in Toronto didn't like) there was hope that Randy will resurface on another platform. Can't wait.

Date: January 03, 2022 03:28AM

Aww man... And yeah, I hated that his show was cancelled. I too am hoping he pops up again somewhere soon. I guess the shows I'm still hearing recently were taped earlier. I'll have to listen for continuity next flip side.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: January 02, 2022 04:10PM

Starting about in April of 2020 Randy and Tal did shows from their garage or music room in Randy's House in BC. These were streamed about every Friday night at 6:00 PM Pacific time. Most of these were acoustic sets and towards the end they plugged in and Tal's girlfriend joined in on drums. Ocassionally Randy's daughter Lorelei (SP?) joined in to sing and a few times brought her daughter. I've always really enjoyed Randy and his music but did not know much about Tal except for his hit song "She's So High Above Me" and some of the exmo stuff he posted here. Tal is a great singer, guitarist and drummer. I wish they would post some more videos. I certainly miss hearing them Friday nights.

Date: January 03, 2022 03:36AM

That sounds fun!!!
Good times...

I picked up a CD of his years ago in a used CD bin, when initially on RFM, and Tal was posting here.

Musical family
Songwriting
Singing...

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: January 08, 2022 06:09PM

I got this as a suggestion from youtube this afternoon....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d12MpnVsGWk&list=RDMM&index=34

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 08, 2022 07:11PM

Ha. I saw this subject line and thought oh, that looks interesting. I forgot I started the thread!

That's amazing playing from all 3. Thanks for posting it, Hedning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.