Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 17, 2022 04:06PM

This MLK Day I came across this comment of his I've never heard before:

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

It would seem to apply as much, or even more, in 2022 than in MLK's time. And to apply to numerous realities in today's world. Tragic that it takes all too many humans so very long to learn basic lessons, if ever they do.

Imagine having numerous sites highlighting all the words of wisdom you've uttered in your lifetime (even though MLK tragically didn't get to live out his time), including "123 most powerful MLK quotes", and plenty more sites and quotes. How many of us have uttered 123 *words* anybody wants to remember? :)

The words ignorance and stupidity are obviously seen as insulting by people to whom they're directed, in any circumstance. The word ignorance can be benign though, basically meaning that a person is uninformed. However, we use both terms as adamant negative judgements against others when we feel they are in the wrong, especially about something we have strong opinions about. And, well, stupid is stupid, actually. No way to gentle that up.

Obviously, this applies to our present day clashes over the pandemic. I try to avoid using pejorative terminology about anyone in any circumstance but at times it's a strain to refrain. I usually hold back because I think some people are sincerely misinformed which can lead to vaccine hesitancy, for instance. But, unfortunately, there are some people you just can't seem to reach. I have (finally) learned to recognize this and just have to choose to save my energy rather than engage in head-butting with likely zero positive outcomes.

Perhaps this ongoing internal struggle of mine is the reason MLK's quote was impactful today. I do try to avoid the S word as it's nothing but pejorative. However, I recognize sincere and conscientious as positive attributes. Not, though, when combined with MLK's other two words: ignorance and stupidity. Obviously, ignorance and stupidity cannot be prettied up even with more positive terms alongside them.

My general impression of MLK is that he was a kind, visionary man but even so he could use strong words. Powerful enough and insightful enough to resonate over half a century later. Amazing that he was at any time considered "the most hated man in America".

Too, I like what his daughter said, that we should equally remember her mother, Coretta Scott King, and her contributions. "Behind every good man..." as they (used to) say. But increasingly alongside, or in front. Justifiably.

PS: I forgot to swing back towards the board's topic of religion when it comes to those phrases, which can also apply in the eyes of many. The parallels are obvious.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2022 04:24PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: XLLEE ( )
Date: January 17, 2022 06:34PM

I'll leave this here and run (from one of my favorite movies)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tldGgGFe194

Date: January 17, 2022 06:42PM

Date: January 17, 2022 06:40PM

OK. I've met my Waterloo. I finally have to employ the S word.

This *is* actual Stupidity. Supreme Stupidity.

China is saying, ahead of the Olympic Games, that its recent one case of Omicron "may have spread" from mail sent from Canada.

It's been a while since experts confirmed that the virus does not live on surfaces and therefore is not spread in that way.

CBC article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/china-allegations-mail-1.6318115

Excerpts:

"Chinese health authorities said earlier Monday that a case of Omicron in Beijing may have spread from a package received from Canada. They urged citizens to stop ordering parcels from abroad as the opening of the Winter Olympics approaches.

"I find this to be, let's say, an extraordinary view," Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos told a news conference Monday.

"Certainly [it's] not in accordance with what we have done both internationally and domestically."

"Pang Xinghuo, deputy director of the Beijing Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, said health officials "cannot rule out the possibility" that the patient was infected by goods from overseas carrying the virus.

"The centre claims the package in question was routed through the U.S. before arriving in Hong Kong and then its final destination in Beijing.

"But medical experts say the theory that such a shipment could spread the virus contradicts what recent studies say about COVID-19's ability to survive on surfaces.

"I don't think any of that's based on science," said Dr. Anna Banerji, an associate professor of pediatrics and infectious disease at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health.

"She said the airborne Omicron variant "would never survive" on an envelope shipped across the world."

-----

You really hope that government reps confine themselves to spouting verified information and that they can manage to be consistent with it. They should be the most informed amongst us and should check their message three times before breakfast every single day.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 17, 2022 06:51PM

Blame it on Canada!

Hahaha. Somehow I don't think that one is going to stick. But then, stupidity is powerful.

Date: January 17, 2022 07:04PM

Haha. Good one, dagny. I do note the parcel travelled through the USA en route. Double whammy. Those pesky North Americans, eh?

Date: January 17, 2022 08:32PM

"Mild" is a term open to opinion and subjective experience. Omicron has been described as mild **in comparison** to more severe cases of COVID-19 and its variants.

Omicron is not "mild" to ICU & ER staff.

Omicron is not mild to first responders such as paramedics, police, and ambulance crews.

Omicron is not mild in overflowing funeral homes.

Omicron is not mild to families of those deceased due to COVID.

Omicron is not mild to people who become infected and end up needing urgent/emergent care.

Omicron is not mild to infected people who can't access the resources they need.

Omicron is not mild to people in countries with fewer resources who can't access the vaccines that people in richer countries spurn and waste.

Omicron is not mild to non-COVID patients who cannot connect with MDs and other professional and allied staff, care spaces, diagnostic tests and even life-saving procedures because people infected and seriously ill with the virus are consuming all available resources and need even more.

Omicron can be milder if one is vaxxed and perhaps even more so if one is also boosted.

Omicron can be milder (or non-existent in the first place) if all those with the opportunity to get vaxxed would bloody well do so or have done so in order to keep infection rates down and opportunity for the virus to mutate lower.

Omicron can be milder if more people would think beyond themselves and take the simple action and blessed opportunity to be vaccinated for the benefit of themselves, their family members, their friends, and the strangers for whom we should have at least some regard, especially if we are people of faith who say we uphold such values, or simply due to basic human feeling one for another, stranger or friend.

"Mild" is only a matter of degree - mild when compared to the most severe outcomes - but not in all cases. Mild can be enough to seriously injure, damage or even kill the more vulnerable.

Just ask the American mom and dad who have been battling COVID in their infant's ICU room for a month while the babe endures the rough embrace of a ventilator invading his tiny little ill and vulnerable body.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8492903/omicron-covid-variant-mild-symptoms-who/

“While Omicron does appear to be less severe compared to Delta, especially in those vaccinated, it does not mean it should be categorized as mild,” director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at the same briefing in Geneva.”

“Just like previous variants, Omicron is hospitalizing people and it is killing people.”

“He warned of a “tsunami” of cases as global infections soar to records fueled by both Omicron and Delta, healthcare systems are overwhelmed, and governments struggle to tame the virus, which has killed more than 5.8 million people.”

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.