Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bonebxtch ( )
Date: January 26, 2022 04:49PM

First of all, what right/knowledge does ANYONE have as to dictate whether or not someone ACTUALLY believes their religion.

Religious people can still be hypocrites and bad people.

I cannot stand people who deflect criticisms of their religion/church in that way. Either that or they use it to invalidate religious trauma.

"Oh but to but a REAL *insert term for member of religion* wouldn't do thattttt"

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW??? It doesn't make any sense.

It not like you're not gonna convince someone to rejoin with THAT terrible argument.

Of course, there definitely are religious leaders who don't actually believe.

However, a fully believing member/leader could end up thinking that they could do no wrong, for all their livesthey have been told that true believers couldn't be bad.

Anyways, thanks for reading this vent by a high-schooler.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bonebxtch ( )
Date: January 26, 2022 04:52PM

Also I put spaces between almost every sentence cause it's easier for me to read/proofread cause my eyes tend to skip lines.

Especially on white screens.

So if you're wondering about that, there's your answer.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 26, 2022 05:38PM

Everyone needs to see "The Righteous Gemstones" and realize it's not really that much of a parody of religion as some see it. It's just truth specially showcased for higher entertainment value.

Like "Don't Look Up" is a comment on today's society politically and socially, the Gemstones is doing the same for religion. It' over the top, but what it's over the top of is real.

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: January 26, 2022 05:48PM

"Oh but to but a REAL *insert term for member of religion* wouldn't do thattttt"

This is called the No True Scotsman fallacy. It's a common logical fallacy used by people who don't have much else to go on.

Other common fallacies are the non sequitur, strawman, Texas sharpshooter, and whataboutism (AKA tu quoque).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

It's helpful to understand some of the different types of logical fallacies in order to recognize and knock them down.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 26, 2022 06:03PM

I still haven't sorted out my feelings regarding the mormon church's adoption of the "No True Scout Man" stance.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 26, 2022 06:13PM

Isn't that WHY they are hypocrites? They say they support beliefs they ignore for themselves?

Sure, they have the "right" to be hypocrites but everyone else has the "right" to point out the assholes and the harm it can do to others.

I'm not sure why you think pointing out the hypocrisy is so bad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.