Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 28, 2022 05:36PM

I like to lurk on various reddit forums, including an exercise in hubris, the Herman Cain Awards. In this forum, the stories of dedicated anti-vaxxers who succumb to Covid are told. The forum carries all of the fascination of watching a train wreck unfold.

One Utah woman succumbed to the virus after a fifty year marriage, which had initially been solemnized in a Mormon temple. Six weeks after the woman's death, her husband remarried to (what appears to be) a much younger wife. The new wife is a fan of vaccines!

https://old.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/comments/sewp6g/utah_woman_married_to_the_same_man_for_50_years/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 28, 2022 05:54PM

The cynic in me suspects that the husband was not entirely pleased with his choice of his first wife.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: January 28, 2022 06:18PM

Married for 50 years puts him somewhere around 70 so you don't have a lot of time to date. Younger woman becomes available for whatever reason, why not? I'll bet he didn't argue about getting a vaccine. It could have been a widow he knew or an old friend. Either way, he didn't break any laws, legally or morally by getting married again.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 28, 2022 11:19PM

moehoward Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Either way, he didn't break any laws,
> legally or morally by getting married again.

True, but doesn't it seem kinda dirty ?

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: January 28, 2022 11:36PM

Dirty, define Dirty.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 29, 2022 01:11AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 29, 2022 04:28AM

Isn't the context here Russ & other GAs who've been widowers?

People generally do (I'm Not a General!) what they think is best for themselves, some people also consider what's best for others whether family, friends, etc.

I see nothing wrong with remarriage but it's polite to wait a 'respectful' period of time, but that's not for me (or anyone else) to determine, is it?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 29, 2022 08:17AM

Are funeral potatoes an aphrodisiac?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 29, 2022 08:25AM

It would seem.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 29, 2022 10:13AM

I worked for several years with an older TBM lady who maintained that if the wife died first it was a compliment to her if the husband quickly remarried as it showed how happy he had been. Actually, I thought it was probably because the old boy never learned to feed himself and etc.
Well the TBM lady died and her husband remarried within months. Compliments to her I guess.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: January 29, 2022 11:05AM

Hehehehehe…I used to check in on the Herman Caine Awards sub too. I could only take so many “Geez, I guess I shoulda got vaxxed”(with their last breath) stories.

To the issue at hand, personally, when cancer took my sweetie, I had no desire and wasn’t really in a state of mind to even start dating again for 10-12 months. A good friend of mine signed & sealed in the temple six months after his wife passed away. I couldn’t imagine doing that. That is strange to me, and always will be. Just sayin’.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 29, 2022 01:25PM

died at 37 of cancer. She was 3 days older than I am. Her husband was dating another woman and their dates were at the temple before she died. His mother lined them up. They got married a month after my cousin died.

It wasn't pleasant for the children. The older ones were raised by their grandparents or one of them was in foster care. The step-mother beat her up in the church parking lot after young womens.

There were 6 kids that were ages 16 to 3 when my cousin died. It has been a long time given that I'm 64 now and the kids have forgiven their father and he actually has the same cancer his wife died of now, but they have treatments that have kept him alive about 2 years now. He is still married to the second wife.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 30, 2022 01:15AM

Got in real trouble about this once.

Wife"If I die before you, don't let your new wife wear my clothes."

Me "ok, they wouldn't fit her anyway."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.