Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 14, 2022 11:57AM

His wife has been his most ardent supporter of his offensive remarks. She took to fb (since deleted) to tell people to stop feeling offended by the teachings of the true church.

I'm sure both of them have a difficult time understanding why people are making a big deal of his remarks; especially after apologizing- I'm sorry that you felt offended when hearing the truth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 14, 2022 01:15PM

The thing with the Mormon church is that if you don't like their truth, they have plenty of others to offer you. Wilcox mistake was not keeping up with their "truths du jour" and staying current on the latest spin.

You go with what you heard in Sunday School as a child, you are going to be scraping a lot of egg off your face.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: February 14, 2022 02:22PM

I don't know why Brad needs to apologize when he was just repeating what the Mormon church teaches. He just did it in a very bold and direct way.

Russell M. Nelson should be the one apologizing for the racism, chauvinism, discrimination and misogyny that exists in the "only" true church. He should apologize and promise to make changes.

As for Brad's wife, I doubt she feels a pang of remorse for her support of her husband's offensive remarks. Wendy probably gave her a high-five in private.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 14, 2022 02:54PM

I suspect that the TBMiest of the TBMs are having a case of cognitive dissonance. For their entire lives, the church mantra has been "we do not apologize, period." Oaks has basically said that explicitly.

As far as they are concerned, they are not racist at all. God is, and nobody needs to apologize for God.If God is racist, then we are supposed to be racist. Simple.

They see the church caving in to political correctness, which is to say the church is backing away from its previous racism. They see this as a bad thing, and wonder what's going on. Rusty is getting some side-eye.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 14, 2022 03:00PM

He's not a general authority, is he? Just a member of the young men's presidency and a professor at BYU?

He's just a Mormon, not the church. His role is as scapegoat: he apologizes so the church need not.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 14, 2022 06:34PM

Correct. The YM presidency are general officers, not general authorities

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/learn/global-leadership-of-the-church?lang=eng

Date: February 14, 2022 06:53PM

Then they are easily hived off as ordinary men making ordinary mistakes and hence expected to take the heat for the General Authorities.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 15, 2022 09:26PM

I was referring to Rusty causing cog dis. Wilcox was preaching that old time religion, the one that the TBMers considered the real story all along. He just gussied it up a bit by claiming that whites were victimized by the loss of priesthood too, for almost as many centuries as the aBlacks.

Yeah, whites as the real victims. Where have we heard that before.

Anyway, while Wilcox is not a GA, Rusty most assuredly is, and he had to have given approval to throw Wilcox under the bus. That’s where the side eye comes in. The true believers are wondering what is up with Rusty. First masks, then vaccines, now this. They have a “fallen prophet” shelf in their heads, and it is getting a little crowded.

I of course think Rusty is being perfectly rational, not to mention ethical, about masks, vaccines, and trying to stamp out Mormon racism, but then the average TBM would not come near me with a ten foot pole. I think they are starting to wonder about Rusty.

The alt-right, which has a large overlap with TBMs, has a deep distrust of institutions. Mormonism is clearly an institution, so there is a natural tension there. The tension is ratcheting up.

Date: February 15, 2022 11:00PM

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just think the church distinguishes between those who may/must apologize and those who need/must not.

I'm sure you are right about the teetering shelf. The welcoming attitude towards immigrants and the Ammonites are additional issues weighing down that thin board.

Posted by: Scapegoated ( )
Date: February 15, 2022 10:00PM

As someone else mentioned, the church is scapegoating him. They can no longer not talk about the Blacks in the Priesthood ban. As a youth in the 80s and 90s, this was never discussed, but it has to be now, which shows that times have changed. A GA doesn't want to go on record talking about this because their explanation would be unhelpful at minimum, and they'd be ridiculed for it. We'll eventually get a "It may have not been inspired policy" from a GA, but not a full apology 'cause they're too weak for that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.