Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 04:16PM

Before the RFM Relief Society swoops in, I will stipulate that this isn't just a mormonism.

I HATE when someone tries to humiliate somebody they disapprove of by using that phrase whenever a child does something religious that they approve of. Like if he wants to go to church, or if he rattles off a rote meal blessing, or if he talks about seeing or interacting with jesus. They try to suggest that even a CHILD sees/does/knows these things, so I must be really dumb or hard hearted because I don't.

I so wish I had the guts to say "Isn't that the same child who just dug out his crack and wiped his hand on the couch? You really want to follow him? No? Oh, so just follow him when it's something YOU approve of. So you really want me to follow YOU."

But of course they do it while the child is there and he is beaming at the praise so you're kinda stuck trying not to be mean to the kid. Which is exactly what the person trying to embarrass you wants, to put you in a situation where you can't even fight back. And that makes me even madder. LOL

How do you deal with crap like this? Or do you just suffer in silence?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 04:18PM by lillium.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 04:22PM

"Yes, little Joey WAS quite cute just now."

If little Joey is off playing Wii, however, I'd say something like: "Nah, I'd rather follow my own conscience. It's pretty reliable and doesn't pick its nose and eat the boogers."

:D

Posted by: 2lilmonkeys ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 04:23PM

I haven't personally heard anyone use that phrase when they weren't talking about Christ, but your post made me LOL :) If I did hear someone say that, I know I wouldn't keep quiet about it.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 04:25PM

Sure you can fight back. In fact, unless you want to keep swallowing their crap, you MUST fight back.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 04:29PM

Nobody has ever quoted that to me in that context, but if they did, I would say something. Implying that someone is dense is rude. Period. You could say,"I don't believe he is doing any more than repeating what he has heard. Kids have great imaginations." Oh, and I am not stupid, thank you very much so don't imply that I am."

Posted by: emanon ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 06:02PM

I say what's on my mind. Those who are your friends will stay your friends, because they accept you for who you are and not what they want you to be.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 06:27PM

I really hate when people do this.

I have a TBM who entitled a recent blog post "and a little child shall lead them" then it goes on and on about how this 5 year old wants to bring a BoM to his friend at school and how proud of him they are for coming up with the idea and wanting to spread the Gospel.

Um no...kids want to please their parents and he's just doing what you've brain washed him to do since birth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.