Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 26, 2022 12:58PM

or has their sustaining been downgraded to merely 'church leaders'?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 26, 2022 01:07PM

I think Rusty wants to be known as “global faith leader.”

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 26, 2022 01:30PM

I thought they were "so called as such" when asked (wink).

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 26, 2022 01:36PM

how about...

a straight answer to my question, I think the answer is significant if not important...

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 26, 2022 01:47PM

Good luck getting a straight answer about anything they have taught. There is always a contrary quote from a different GA side stepping anything another has said.

Posted by: Anónimo ( )
Date: February 26, 2022 03:32PM

Just go the the lds website, find the lastra conference page and look for the “sustaining officers” session (usually the 2 pm session) and listen how the sustaining go.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 27, 2022 05:47AM

"Okay, none opposed. Congratulations Fred, you are the new Grand Poobah of the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes.

Date: February 27, 2022 06:04AM

The adoption rate of their policies is probably the best clue. About a third were vaccine hesitant during the Covid years. They did not sustain their prophet. The rest probably would have gotten vaccinated anyway. So I doubt that the gerontocracy is taken seriously.

I find that fascinating. It means that most Mormons know they are role playing. They see themselves as members of a social group with norms and expectations. One of the expectations is to believe the claptrap. Do they actually believe it? Apparently, they are suspending disbelief.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 27, 2022 08:40AM

GNPE-I’d like to be clear about what you’re asking. If you’re wondering if they still use the words “prophets, seers, and revelators” when the members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve are sustained in conference meetings (general conference, area conference, stake conference, ward conference, branch conference) then I assume the answer is yes. If the words they use are changed, we’ll know once April conference happens.

If you’re wondering if they are sustained as prophets, seers, and revelators in the hearts of the members, that’s a trickier question. It could well be that, compared to a generation ago, fewer members actually believe that the 15 actually receive revelation, but that would be hard to gauge.

Date: February 27, 2022 05:10PM

Or impossible to gauge. Mormons learn not to rock the boat. If you ask them what they really think, their response is "what do church leaders say?".

You might as well ask North Koreans whether they sustain Kim Jong Un.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.