Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 06, 2022 05:39PM

Boggles my mind how violent and prone to abuse modern cultures are.

To think these creatures are in zoos, are used for research and yet there tend to one another's wounds and share do much DNA in common with us.

https://scitechdaily.com/watch-a-chimpanzee-mother-apply-an-insect-to-her-sons-wound

The lack of respect for what mother nature hath wrought is human, all too human and yet many of us think ourselves not in the realm of animal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 06, 2022 05:55PM

It's getting worse out there. Maybe because of social media we are getting a glimpse of how animals are actually treated. It's horrifying.

Many animals show more compassion and "humanity" than humans ever do. Thanks for sharing this example of compassion from a champanzee.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 06, 2022 06:45PM

I love chimpanzees.

And giraffes. The most beautiful animal I have seen up close and personal, sadly in a London zoo. It had longer eyelashes than mine. It was close enough to touch and true enough its skin was velvet. I have no clue why they let humans get so close. Or who ever thought it was a good idea to put giraffes in a zoo.

As a kid I used to see the polar bears in their concrete cage at a city park. Even then, being young and clueless, I couldn't bear to look at them - I told my mom many times how sad they looked and it upset me. They had a small pool to fall into when they lethargically descended their concrete steps. That was the entirety of their lives. Fortunately, at some point, the zoo decided to stop keeping polar bears in captivity. Too bad they don't forego the practice altogether. We surely can make do with videos from the wild or their other habitats, if we must invade those.

Many years later, I still feel upset about the bears and the giraffe, as well as the memory of all the other animals through the years. I don't know why I didn't become a more outspoken proponent of ending zoo-keeping altogether. Don't even get me started on hunting wild animals just for the supposed joy of killing them. Barbaric.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: March 06, 2022 09:12PM

If you live where Polar Bears are or migrate through as the ice forms you don't go outside - not at all. Polar Bears actively hunt humans as food.
Churchill, Manitoba is a major Polar Bear viewing location and you will be cited, jailed and fined for going outside when they are in the area.
Tundra buggies and protected transportation is what is used.
The Bears are not mistreated but are part of the area and a major source of tourism dollars as visitors come in and pay to view and photograph them.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 06, 2022 09:43PM

I've always loved animals, but when I started getting my own dogs, not the ones that my brother got when I was young, my attitude even got more appalled at how we treat animals in this world. I also hate zoos. I quit going to them a long time ago. They have a small zoo in a park in Logan and they had a black bear in a small cage for a while. It made me sick.

The news where they show the Ukrainians leaving to get out of the country carrying their dogs or having them on leashes. I'm so happy to see them taking them with them, but what is to become of all of them, the pets, too. And how many pets got left behind?

I also don't go to circuses and haven't for a long time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.