Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 10, 2022 02:07PM

A couple came into the ward and I recall them staying at a local motel (Puget Sound area). They didn't stay as regular ward members for long.

They were pitching a thing called "Personology" which attempts to define ones personality traits based on the shape, size, spacing of the head and facial features. I just googled it and found it must have been based on "physiognomy".

They charged a fee to do an "interview" with a person and would then create a "chart" showing where you were in the spectrum of traits they were charting (my imagination trait was off the chart). My mom had our whole family done, so did her best friend at church, and many others in the ward.

Then they left and moved on within a few months I think. This got me thinking this morning that they were most likely going from stake to stake, ward to ward, to pedal their product, preying on the gullibility and trust of fellow church members.

Just curious if they passed though anyone's ward that posts here. I know their name, but am not posting it....but the last name started with a P and ended with a Y.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 10, 2022 04:00PM

I don't know what "personology" is, but what you describe sounds like good old phrenology.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 10, 2022 06:17PM

I used to have fun fooling (or testing) people by telling them that I was the department's "official phrenologist." Not too many people got it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 10, 2022 06:26PM

Holmes to Moriarty: "I would have expected more frontal development."

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 10, 2022 04:35PM

I vaguely remember something like this, but can't say anything unequivocal about it. Were they from Passamaquoddy? By any chance? Had a pet named Pete?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2022 05:43PM by sunbeep.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 10, 2022 06:09PM

To me, it sounds like a couple trying to make a dishonest living by providing nonsense "Personology" checks for those they suspect can be fooled by such nonsense.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: March 13, 2022 11:42PM

This rings a bell. I had an aunt who was into this when I was growing up. My parents made fun of her.

Once at the dinner table my Mom noted that she herself had droopy eyelids, which according to my aunt, meant Mom was stubborn and difficult to convince of anything.

Yep, said Mom. My droopy eyelids mean that Aunt L. will never make me believe in Personology!

This was in Salt Lake a long time ago. Must have been in the 1950s, so Personology has been around for a long, long time. Aunt came from a devout Mormon family, although she wasn't exactly devout.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.