Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 17, 2022 01:06PM

Or as officially celebrated in Boston, "Evacuation Day," the day George Washington chased the Redcoats out of Boston.

But first, a bit of earlier history: On May 10, 1775, larger-than-life Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys (with Benedict Arnold at his side!) made a successful, midnight stealth attack on Ft. Ticonderoga, on the (NY) western shore of Lake Champlain. The commander awoke to the demand that he surrender the fort “In the name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress!”

It was surrendered with neither a shot nor anybody wounded. Then, Gen. Henry Knox took command of the cannon, and dragging them across the Berkshire Hills and the rest of Massachusetts, and delivered them to Gen. Washington, then encamped in Cambridge.

On March 4, 1776, General Howe awoke to find that the colonials had built, literally overnight, a powerful redoubt on Dorchester Heights (in present day South Boston)--with the Ticonderoga cannon pointed down at him. An attempted infantry assault was thwarted by bad weather. On March 17, he sensibly realized his position was literally "indefensible," and he evacuated the city, taking several thousand Loyalists with him to Nova Scotia.

Thus giving valid grounds for a legal holiday which the Irish take full advantage of!

The fortifying of Dorchester Heights is fascinating in its details. History buffs will enjoy this rendition of the actual events--and how one bookish nerd made his powerful mark on history.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/03/17/exclusive-odonnell-the-st-patricks-day-that-changed-america-and-the-revolution/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 17, 2022 04:11PM

ziller will drink to that OPie ~

Posted by: AngloFiend ( )
Date: March 17, 2022 05:34PM

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 17, 2022 06:45PM

I guess being English I have never quite understood what I see as the OTT recognition of a foreign Catholic celebration in the US. Even my Dublin born sister in law, finding herself in the US on March 27, expressed bewilderment at the extent of the celebration and its bizarre nature. Everyone knows that the one true Saint holiday is April 23 so I take comfort in the belief that Patrick, likely a true born Briton, would have found that day more to his liking. Lol.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.