Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lloyd Lowery ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 08:05PM

“Psychologists talk about ‘Confirmation Bias’. You tell yourself a lie and then you ignore all the facts that contradict it. I’ve done that for 30 years. I know that every single thing my mother tells me about this man is a fabrication, but I confirm what I know to be false by clinging to every piece of plausibility presented by someone trying to protect me. It is so pathetic not wanting to know the truth.”

Lloyd Lowery
Breakout Kings, episode: ‘Like Father, Like Son’, A&E

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: OU812 ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 01:58PM

Sounds very familiar.

People who exit the church generally come to this type of realization, but I doubt many know that it has a clinical diagnosis.

Perhaps if more doubting members understood what Confirmation Bias is (and how it applies to creating a testimony of the truthfulness things that are clearly false) it would help them to sort things out more quickly, and less painfully. Especially as they acquire information about church history, operations and practices from sites like RfM. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.