Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 06:02AM

All my ancestors joined the church in the 1850's and 1860's. As a result I grew up in the church. By leaving I feel like I have saved my offspring from the mistake of getting conned by Mormon missionaries over a century and a half ago.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 08:26AM

Since Joseph Smith relatives, Brigham Young and Zina Huntington are my ancestors, correcting their mistakes is a bit more difficult.

Posted by: Subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 25, 2022 03:49PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since Joseph Smith relatives, Brigham Young and
> Zina Huntington are my ancestors, correcting their
> mistakes is a bit more difficult.

Elder Berry you are true pioneer stock! My ancestors only walked with Brigham Young to the Salt Lake Valley they were not the ones in charge.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 28, 2022 01:02PM

I'm sorry that they walked with him. I just found out my brother-in-law has 7 wives and 35 kids. This isn't direct info. My sister says she learned this from our niece. And she said our niece claims her father has been called on the carpet by their new leader who doesn't like abuse allegations. I don't like our brother-in-law so I'm inclined to believe the worst.

Brigham is someone he admires.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 10:53AM

I have thought about that a lot as my ancestors converted and came to Utah--some of them handcarts. I have always wondered if they had burning testimonies or it was just a way to get a better life. (Brigham's Utah, a better life, haha.) I was not descended from kings and queens or even an earl or two.

As a kid a couple were in their nineties and I remember them some. They never seemed that religious but I was too young to ascertain most likely as they were all gone by the time I was around nine or so.

Looking back I see a trajectory in my own family from comfortably Mormon to full on nutso religious with each generation upping the game. So in reverse, perhaps my ancestors were not so zealous. Would love to know.

Also, Mormonism wasn't that out of line with other religions of its time from what I have read of Joseph's contemporaries. Smith just added some extra ingredients to the fruitcake.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 25, 2022 04:30PM

My Danish ancestors probably had it better in Brigham’s Utah than Denmark that was ruled with an iron fist at the time. They built up a sizable family business empire running stores, pharmacies and farms. They were peasants in Denmark with very little opportunity. The church at least wanted you to be productive because they got 10% and they could make use of your skills.

Posted by: obsidian53 ( )
Date: March 26, 2022 02:13PM

Are you sure you don't have royal ancestors? Have a look at this. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2002/05/the-royal-we/302497/.

Or what about the common ancestors that we share? http://www.stat.yale.edu/~jtc5/papers/Ancestors.pdf.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 22, 2022 11:10AM

I agree, Rubicon. You broke the chain. You deserve our congratulations!

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: March 26, 2022 04:00PM

Soft Machine: I have an ancestor who was knighted at Agincourt by Henry V. Would I be welcome in France if I mentioned it? lol.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 25, 2022 04:31PM

>> I feel I've corrected my ancestor's mistakes. <<

I'm still making mine for my descendants.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.