Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 25, 2022 12:31PM

But the wolves are probably better.

https://www.boredpanda.com/mormons-polygamous-family-life/

I have 9 siblings and I'm the middle. No it wasn't polygamy. You can get neglect without even one sibling. But I guess if you have 150 odds are you might have a better chance at getting parented?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 26, 2022 01:22AM

So often in Mormonism, children are handed off to an older sibling when the newer kid shows up.

What a sad situation for Murray Blackburn. If he ran away from home would anyone know he was gone?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 26, 2022 10:05AM

Roughly half of those 150+ siblings are boys. What happens to the boys when they grow up? I'm betting that there are a lot of "lost boys" from the Blackmore clan. The math doesn't work with polygamy.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 26, 2022 10:37AM

but it just came natural to me. I loved it when my mother brought a new baby home. My brother 8 years younger than I had a stroke when he was born and the doctor never told my parents. He didn't ever crawl. He pulled himself around with one arm. He walked at 18 months. The neurologist who finally told them what was wrong said he had 4 of us older siblings that he wanted to be like. He is a very determined person and always has been. He is both intellectually and physically disabled. Paint thinner at 18 months, hit on his bike by a pickup at age 5 (and I got the bike out of the trunk of the car for him). He jumped out of a tree with a cast on. Got stuck in an irrigation ditch when it wasn't running--the pipes, whatever they are. Culverts? A neighbor pulled him out when he fell in when water was running. Never ending. He just cut off part of his index finger on his right hand working. His left arm doesn't work very well. He is able to drive. He passed his last driving test with flying colors and MEMORIZED the manual.

So my parents were taking care of this brother. The sister older than him and the brother younger than him I watched out for and still do. My older sister didn't. She's only 17 months older. These 2 siblings consider me a mother figure. The youngest called me mom for a while.

I've never resented it. I know that when I found out my boyfriend is gay I "neglected" my youngest brother and he went through some really tough times. He wasn't telling me some things that I didn't find out until the last few years and I'm 64 and he is 56.

So to me, it was no big deal being the mother figure. When I had my own kids, that was a whole different ballgame. Still is.

I know my youngest brother felt like he got lost in the shuffle where my parents were concerned, but he does recognize how much they were dealing with. He was only 2 when our brother got hit by the pickup. I saw it happen.

It was easy to judge my parents when they were alive. You guys have opened my mind to how lucky I really was to have them as parents. I never ever questioned if they loved me. We didn't have a lot of money and we worked hard, but it has paid off for all of us.

Date: March 26, 2022 12:53PM

Gosh that hurt my heart reading about your brother, Cl2. You are so exemplary and truly your “brother’s keeper.” So glad I know you.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 27, 2022 05:10PM

Date: March 27, 2022 12:36AM

And many are raised by iPhones.

Date: March 28, 2022 01:11PM

I'm jealous.

Date: March 28, 2022 03:05PM

My ex (TBM that he was) mused over how mormons "like to squirt out kids and then don't raise them."

He, himself was one of those kids--raised (if you can call it that) by sibs.

Luckily a man in the neighborhood took he and his brother and taught them every repair skill he knew. Even though my ex became wealthy later in life, he still referred to that man, and my ex could fix anything.

Date: March 28, 2022 05:42PM

Nice that he had someone. I was raised without any male role model worth that experience. The only grown man interested in me molested me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.