Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 31, 2022 09:58AM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2022/03/31/dallin-oaks-says-church/

“Should The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints apologize for the faith’s 126-year-long priesthood/temple ban against Black members? Dallin H. Oaks, first counselor in the governing First Presidency, indicated it’s not likely to.
“I know that the history of the church is not to seek apologies or to give them,” Oaks told The Salt Lake Tribune in 2015. “We sometimes look back on issues and say, ‘Maybe that was counterproductive for what we wish to achieve.’

Why apologize when your scriptures are still racist AF?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2022 10:50AM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 31, 2022 10:03AM

Just looking for some speculative guesses.

Their policies and teachings aren't keeping them active beyond a mission.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 31, 2022 10:28AM

“I’m not aware that the word ‘apology’ appears anywhere in the scriptures — Bible or Book of Mormon,” Oaks reiterated the next day in a video chat with The Tribune. “The word ‘apology’ contains a lot of connotations in it, and a lot of significance.”

That is an admission to what we have all witnessed - the corporation never apologizes. In my opinion, a defining characteristic of a cult is that it does not apologize. Mormonism is truly a cult.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 31, 2022 01:31PM

When you have to hide you can't apologize. If their corporate cult was an open book and honest about their origins they could apologize for mishaps.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 31, 2022 10:30AM

Actually the church did blacks a favor by banning them from holding the priesthood. They didn't have to waste their time doing stupid callings and the huge amount of busy work that comes with them.

I wish they would have banned my family from it.

Date: April 01, 2022 02:19AM

It’s not doing blacks or indigenous any favors by continuing to print off millions of copies of their racist scriptures.
They continue to refuse to delete black and indigenous hating myths alive and well in Mormon scriptures.
Their refusal to hit the delete button is one reason why I’m no longer a manner of their CULT.
I could no longer, in good conscience, perpetuate these racist myths one more generation after they were debunked by DNA evidence.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 31, 2022 10:45AM

>>“We sometimes look back on issues and say, ‘Maybe that was counterproductive for what we wish to achieve.’

In other words:

--The prophet at the time was "speaking as a man" as all the prophets are when they claim to be speaking for God.

--We have no clue at the time of anything what God would want us to achieve.

--We're always wrong on social issues over time and hate it when we have to try and spin and bury things later. We are too stubborn to learn from it.

--We end up being apologists because we need to change to keep the $$ bags and pews full.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 31, 2022 01:02PM

"Maybe that was counterproductive for what we wish to achieve."

Brigham Young regarding MMM: "They got the job done, didn't they?"

Date: March 31, 2022 01:29PM

Do you apologize?

Date: March 31, 2022 02:22PM

Do you?
Apologize for what?
I never discriminated against anybody in my life.
The CULT of Joseph’s Myth discriminated against blacks for no particular reason, except for being bigots, for most of their history, which they are apparently proud of.

Date: March 31, 2022 03:26PM

I do. I've apologized here for my behavior many times.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 31, 2022 11:22PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never discriminated against anybody in my life.

Quite.

Posted by: maca ( )
Date: March 31, 2022 03:23PM

Everybody discriminates, I'd say that some people do get better chances in life. The biggest privilege is the beauty privilege that certain lucky chads and janes get to enjoy. The Peyton Mannings, the Will Smiths. They get some privilege for being big and looking good and having intellect. They get their pick of the ladies, they make lots of money when they work.

Everybody wants to be around the football quarterback, around the smart good looking crowd that live on the hill that are athletic. The smoking hot girls who aren't as big as a house.

These special ones get the good careers, the apartments, the fine cars. They network better, they talk better, everyone likes them better.

So for mormon leaders to just be following human tendencies of discriminating against people they dont' like as much. It it so unusual? We're all prejudice.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 01, 2022 12:23AM

An apology that is not sincere is not an apology.

Making excuses so they don't have to apologize shows they are not sincere.

Lying to avoid an apology shows they will never be sincere.

The banning of blacks is scripture. Plain and simple. Irregardless of the lies they spout. "He was of that lineage that was denied the priesthood" is clearly stated in the book of Abraham. "Translated" by Joseph Smith himself.

It was not an invention of Brigham Young talking as a man. They use that to not tarnish Joseph.

Either Joseph was directed by god to write that blacks are of the lineage that was denied the priesthood or he made it up.

If they go with made up it calls everything Joseph claimed as revelation into question.

If they go with directed by god until he changed his mind. Then they can't apologize because they'd be apologizing for god. Who is supposed to be infallible.

So they lie for the lord. Throw dead people under the bus and hem and haw and fidgit. The mumble and point to their " good works" and modern prophecy and say all is well in zion.

Date: April 01, 2022 01:35AM

Exactly.
When I got to the point where I could admit that to myself, I was blind to it.
I remember the exact moment, sitting in church when I could no longer deny MORmONism was completely, undeniably, racist.
There is no denying Mormon scriptures are racist. But missionaries are taught the line now that the “curse” was a spiritual darkness and separation from God, Not literally people’s skin color.

Yeah but it literally says, “the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark that was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression.” Alma 3:6

Like Joanna Brookes said years ago,”Pick any Mormon wardhouse, sit in the pews for a year of Sundays, and you’ll never hear that verse cited. And with good reason.

The changing of official, Church-authored chapter headings in the Book of Mormon signifies a contemporary LDS decertification (from the top of the food chain in Salt Lake City!) of the arcane folk belief that dark skin signifies accursedness. I found that significant when I wrote about it last week, and I still do.”

The GA’s are like cat’s who took a big shit and stunk up the whole house and they think they can bury it and it won’t stink anymore.
But everybody can smell it except the cats and the crazy cat ladies.

https://www.scimex.org/newsfeed/new-light-cast-on-the-crazy-cat-lady-parasite#:~:text=function%20in%20general.%22-,T.,States%20may%20carry%20the%20parasite.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.