Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 26, 2022 09:26PM

This article came across one of my news aggregators today. It describes a new BYU grad who took a stand. I'm sure there are people on this people on this board--one of whom is a personal friend--who would have done this when they graduated had it been safe to have done so.

Bravo for the progress courageous people have made over the decades in carving out room for individuality at BYU, and brava to this woman.

ETA: this Instagram link since it is more emotionally powerful than the more article below.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CctSlp2l5X1/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=5422fe74-af34-4b1c-acad-bcf144b10724

https://www.instagram.com/p/CctSlp2l5X1/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=5422fe74-af34-4b1c-acad-bcf144b10724

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/brigham-young-university-graduate-rainbow-pride-gown_n_6266a1e6e4b0197ae3f90124

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2022 09:35PM by Lot's Wife.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 26, 2022 10:29PM

Powerful. Thanks.

Posted by: manymore ( )
Date: April 27, 2022 09:55AM

A woman who STANDS UP for Herself and Others when the cc (cult college) won't.

And bees beautiful, fair, honest, no matter what!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 27, 2022 12:14PM

Good for her. That was brave.

I worry BYU might find some way to revoke her graduation or something. They might need to punish her to save face? I'm guessing BYU leadership spent some time discussing their options. It's bad press for them no matter what they do.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 27, 2022 02:53PM

That's what I was wondering.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: April 27, 2022 02:05PM

One of my TBM brother’s kids just graduated too. Zillion pics on Facebook. I have mixed feelings. Happy for them and proud of the accomplishment, but hate that it’s YBU and that the whole clan is stuck in the cult. I’m sure my brother loves all the “authority” and having penishood, but the kids are victims.

Anyway, seeing this news story gives me some pleasure in knowing that someone publicly pushed back a little while they were there.

Not to mention that it’s just a great story!

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: April 27, 2022 02:21PM

Good for her getting out of the cult, but its not like she did not know what BYU was like when she signed up. Its a private university owned by a cult. What do you expect?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 27, 2022 04:09PM

And I suppose you had the world all figured out when you were 17 and applying to colleges. I suspect she didn’t know what BYU was like when she signed up. I didn’t.

Date: April 27, 2022 04:54PM

It's also possible that, at 17, she hadn't come to terms with her sexuality yet.

Date: April 27, 2022 07:45PM

I think the linked article said she was two years into school before realizing.

Date: April 27, 2022 08:25PM

Not uncommon among people who grow up in conservative environments.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 01, 2022 05:01PM

Can confirm. I was in my early twenties when I started to realize I might not be straight, and it took me until I was almost thirty to accept being bi. Thanks a lot, Mormon teachings /s.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 27, 2022 07:09PM

I've always thought that college should be more than just about book learning. It should be about learning and growing in a multitude of ways.

Date: April 27, 2022 07:47PM

This is why online learning just isn’t the same (IMO). There’s no doubt that people can learn remotely, but it’s not the same sort of experience. Also, FWIW, I did not like teaching online. What I enjoy about the academic environment is not easy to replicate remotely.

Date: April 27, 2022 08:24PM

+1

Posted by: I ( )
Date: April 30, 2022 08:59AM

Why is it difficult, if not impossible, to find a video of HER opening her trenchcoat and smiling... and the crowd half going wild & half booing/ gasping/ ahhing/ caring?

I tried to watch the graduation but ran out of time, & wit, after about 2/3 of 2 HOURS. Could they have Cut Her Out?

Tick Talk piece showing her plan/ action, and all the interviews, even on Mormon Stories yesterday, is fine & all, BUT, how about the audience reaction? Has anyone here ACTUALLY seen that split second moment? Just wondering...

It's always interesting to be in a place where there's a mixed reaction. No speculation here. Just want to see that tiny moment in time we are talking about here.

PS. She's also a great sleuth. Someone stole her truck and she drove around neighborhoods, and thought, "apartments", and tracked the person down the next day (Just Using Her Instinct, no GPS or anything) going into an apartment. She went up and locked the truck (& the woman came out, walked up & couldn't get in to get the stolen key from the stolen truck) & called the law, who did the rest, and arrest! Note: don't ever mess with a smart person, okay?! Or a good, honest, happy person... or anybody!

Who's actually "seen her graduate"?
Seen the moment she FLASHES her smile

Date: April 30, 2022 01:56PM

I would imagine it will be edited out of any official videos. And most folks only take their own photos/videos of the gradate(s) they came to support.

So, maybe her own family or friends will have some video. Hopefully.

I'd like to see it too.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: May 01, 2022 12:57AM

We'll keep our fingers crossed

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: May 01, 2022 01:50PM

It's great that she graduated and showed the stamina and intelect to make it to the end, but I guess I'm not really sure why she bothered going to the trouble of telling everyone her gender sexual identity when the commencement has nothing to do with sexual politics. A more appropriate place to expose one's self and let it all hang out would be on facebook, byu is an institution run by a cult who's purpose as with other indoctrination centers/colleges is to get young people to conform, learn obey, and most important how to think management orchestrated correct thoughts, true alphas and entrapenurs don't have time playing games at the university it's too much of a waste of time.

Date: May 01, 2022 04:43PM

Maca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's great that she graduated and showed the
> stamina and intelect to make it to the end, but I
> guess I'm not really sure why she bothered going
> to the trouble of telling everyone her gender
> sexual identity when the commencement has nothing
> to do with sexual politics.

Guy, Orr was protesting BYU's anti-LGBTQ policies. Did you not think of that?

> A more appropriate
> place to expose one's self and let it all hang out
> would be on facebook,

I've said it before and I'll say it again: when and how someone comes out is up to them, not you.

> byu is an institution run by
> a cult who's purpose as with other indoctrination
> centers/colleges is to get young people to
> conform, learn obey, and most important how to
> think management orchestrated correct thoughts,
> true alphas and entrapenurs don't have time
> playing games at the university it's too much of a
> waste of time.

1. Proper spelling and grammar ("intellect" has two l's, genius) are for clear and effective communication, not brainwashing. You would have learned that had you paid attention in elementary school.

2. I'll be sure to tell doctors, engineers, entrepreneurs with business degrees (yes, those exist), and scientists that college is a waste of time according to . . . what is it that you do again, Maca?

3. "Alphas" don't actually exist. That comes from a discredited study of pack structure in captive wolves. Hell, the scientist who first coined the term "alpha male" was the one who discredited it; he studied wild packs, realized he was wrong, but people still believe in the discredited study. The only people who use the term "alpha" are guys who peaked in high school athletics.

4. Would another poster be so kind as to try to explain what in the fuck "management orchestrated correct thoughts" are and how colleges are indoctrinating young people into it? Because I'm getting the impression it's just something Maca's making up. Of course, what do I know? I only have a bachelor's degree.

Date: May 01, 2022 05:30PM

I've been tempted to reply to Maca's latest contribution several times but find it difficult to play whack-a-mole with a rodent that hasn't learned to move its head when the hammer comes down.

Our "true alpha and entrapenur"--who has "an entry level job . . . and [finds that] having some co workers to chat at makes life nice. . ."--doesn't realize that he is contradicting himself right and left. Mormonism is evil and should be resisted. But it should not be resisted where anyone would see because the church has its property rights and they are sacrosanct. But Mormonism indoctrinates people and is evil and should be resisted. The head doth spin.

What has impelled me to break my (uncharacteristic and limited) silence is your statement that you only have a bachelor's degree. My heavens, that's upsetting. You have more innate mental firepower than most university faculties. Sorely lacking in wise and decisive people, the world needs people like you to get as much education as possible.

I realize you have your own reasons for the path you've chosen and that I shouldn't opine about your choices. But for what it's worth, I wish there were a lot more people with your brains and judgment.

Date: May 01, 2022 05:38PM

I'd be interested in going to grad school, but if it weren't for the money, my lack of transportation, and the fact that I studied English because I want to be a writer, I'd want to go farther in my education.

I should learn more about publishing, though. I figure if I can't be on a university's staff, I can still get something published and do some good with my brain.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Lot's Wife.

Date: May 01, 2022 08:53PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I ... find it difficult
> to play whack-a-mole with a rodent that hasn't
> learned to move its head when the hammer comes
> down.

Hehehe. Funniest thing I've read today.
I may borrow it elsewhere. :)

Date: May 01, 2022 04:58PM

Jillian Orr: BYU Bi-con*.

It took serious backbone to flash a rainbow flag at BYU. And I'm glad she's living as herself. The article says she plans to empower folks and she's off to a great start.

*Bisexual Icon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.