Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: May 05, 2022 11:12AM

This is a true story
I have a friend who has a relative that came back from mission in S America. He injured himself on the mission but they told him to wait til he got back home as it required surgery. He finished his mission and came home about 6 months later. (just recently) He had major surgery to repair a leg injury from mission. Has been off work for about 6 weeks. I asked who is paying for all his medical expenses. They told me his parents are.
Am I the only one who sees something wrong with his?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 05, 2022 11:18AM

LDS got out of the medical and insurance businesses. The still educate so maybe he can get an injured on the mission scholarship?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 05, 2022 12:00PM

Another reason why silly Mormons should not send their kids on a mission without notarized guarantees on paper. Putting so much faith in a mission president is an idiot thing to do.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 05, 2022 12:23PM

One Mish was killed in my Mish (other fault T-bone) IDK who paid expenses but shouldn't car insurance?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 05, 2022 02:05PM

Read the fine print. The church is not liable for impure thoughts causing malfunction of the magic underwear.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 06, 2022 09:47AM

My mom took out additional life insurance prior to serving a 2 yr mission. Found out about 5 years ago. Her comment/justification- I knew had you been seriously hurt or killed, the church wouldn't lift a finger.

On my mission (90s) the church got all mission presidents to get serious about wearing a helmet while riding bicycles. All missionaries had to purchase one thru the mission (I already had one so I wasn't charged 75 bucks- everyone else was to get 100% compliance. Wearing it while riding was another thing~ maybe half actually used them.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 06, 2022 11:17AM

A friend was a custodian for the church, cleaned ongoing black mold out of a ward building and died from it. The church refused to pay one cent for her care.

Her dad and brother were bishops. They were enraged. The church banks on people not suing.

Date: May 06, 2022 11:40AM

And they've got 100 billion to prove the success of that strategy.

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: May 06, 2022 11:17AM

They are cheap in some places and binge in others. My tbm cousins who are in tight with the brethren all went down to Vegas for training meetings. Guess who paid the bill for these corporate employees on a business trip/and after hours gambling?...
The widows mite.

Date: May 06, 2022 11:39AM

Dontcha just love freedom Maca? This should give you pleasure that big business can do as they please damn the consciences.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 08, 2022 11:03PM

But it's an investment. Jesus tells them how to bet at the roulette tables.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 06, 2022 12:00PM

In the 80s I knew several missionaries that were sick, finished 6 to 8 months with little medical care, came home and footed the bill for needed treatment and surgery.

Some missionaries even though they weren't sick were pressured to get physicals and TB tests at their expense and forward the results to the church. My friend told the bishop he'd only do it if the church paid for it. Said he was off his mission and to leave him alone.

Remember, it is better the missionary come home in a pine box than fail at his mission.

Think I'm joking? I read one of the letters to one of the missionary's father telling him "when I was in the army if you went over the hill they shot you."

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 06, 2022 12:12PM

My Mom was more extreme.

I was told that if I chose to leave my mission early or was sent home that she couldn't face the members of the ward or the RS presidency. She told me that I couldn't live at home and that I would have to move out of ward boundaries. She meant it.

I came real close to being sent home after driving the sisters assigned missionary vehicle to make a food run during an 8 hour Sunday church "day". The only person having a fit was the psycho zone leader, everyone else wanted fast food.

I was already on probation from the MTC sexual assault scandal.

Posted by: Zenif ( )
Date: May 08, 2022 08:56PM

Many many years ago, the mission I served there was a
Doctor, non-member, but was supposed to be the best one in town, so he was the doctor of choice for the missionaries. The church used to pay any medical bill back then. The thing is that missionaries who would get any stomach pain would definitely be diagnosed with appendicitis. Dr. Became infamous for operating about 20 missionaries each year. I guess it was an easy procedure and lots of money to get paid.
Mission president wasn’t suspecting anything but eventually a doctor got baptized because he wanted to please his girlfriend and then all missionaries got sent to his clinic. That was the end of the appendicitis epidemic.

Posted by: ammon55 ( )
Date: May 11, 2022 07:26PM

THIS MY NOT BE A BIG DEAL--BUT ON MY MISSION 1974-1976 DALLAS WE HAD TO BUY OUR OWN CASES OF bOOK OF mORMONS 40 DOLLARS DOESNT SOUND MUCH NOW BUT CONSIDERING I WAS SPENDING 125.00 MONTHLY ON MY MISSION HALF OF 40 BUCKS WAS A BITE. I HAD TO WRITE HOME TO REQUEST A ADDITIONAL 20 BUCKS TO COVER THE COSTS. WE WERE SUPPOSED TO SELL THEM I NEVER THOUGHT THAT WAS RIGHT ANYWAY EVEN AT 20 I WONDERED WHY THE HELL THE CHURCH COULDNT PROVIDE THE BOOKS TO US AT NO COSTS. I WAS NEVER A MEMBER WITH WITH BLINDERS THIS WAS THE START OF MY QUESTIONING THE CHURCH

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: May 11, 2022 08:32PM

I had to ask my husband if there was still an "Ensign" when someone quoted from it. Do you remember the magazine drive? We had to pay for those magazines---about $35.00 bucks a year and everyone was strongly encouraged to buy them.

My parents were assigned to the magazine drive for several years. They had to contact each head of household and then collect the money. The church really drained the membership of our money didn't they? I had forgotten about the magazines. The Ensign, the New Era, and the Friend.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 15, 2022 12:53AM

And at one time the relief society magazine and priesthood manuals.

I remember having to buy an additional set of scriptures for seminary.

Add scout dues and buying boys life magazine.

Posted by: Occasional Geek ( )
Date: May 15, 2022 01:19AM

ammon55, Thank you. Tt was a big deal. If I remember correctly the copies of the book of mormon were one dollar each.

IT DID come out of our living allowance. The church said, we should not give them away. Charge the investigator the one dollar. Hell, we could not give them away let alone charge someone a buck per unit.

District, Zone, AP and mission pres were all under extreme pressure to perform. Ugly situation.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 11, 2022 07:28PM

Well, the Q15 have a business to run, and they are simply not going to give away anything that they don't have to give away.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.