Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 09:42AM

"So, as I read the multiple articles around many presidential candidates 2012, many I have never heard of, I cannot help but think one reason, and I think the biggest reason why the nation is headed for disaster is because our country is so fractionated today that the possibility of any one candidate taking a majority lead and win the candidacy, and may I add by the majority voting, is becoming very slim which means that the power sits with some small niche which means that the entire nation is in the hands of some small niche who may or may not know what is going on in the world and who may or may not have proper perspectives that would literally bring the nation to its knees.

This fictionalization I believe completely comes from the weakness of family units- do what you want to do, be who you want to be, lie a little, "who cares, just stay out of my hair. You are annoying". Few children are brought up in the manner the Lord desires with structure, love and righteous direction. They are led by their own devices.

As I read the articles on the internet I can then understand why I see people struggling to do all they can to build some sort of foundation in their life, to find some sort of certainty that they go to extreme lengths to achieve this "certainty" because they didnt or dont have proper, righteous family support. These extreme lengths taken by others to find comfort and solidarity to their life can be very devastating to others around them but can draw crowds and groups which form these small niches that have voice. These voices then gather together to nominate candidates like Donald Trump and certainly many others. The point being without the majority of Americans on a united front to vote in an individual who upholds the Lord and his standards, the possibilities are numerous as to who will win candidacy because of the fractionalized nation we have become and unfortunately will continue to become until the Lord comes.

Love you all!! M!ke"

I responded by telling him that we might be better off if all religiously affiliated candidates were barred from office because theocracy has never worked and suggested secular humanists were the ideal candidates.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 09:45AM

Fuck me running! Tell him to lay off the comma key as I didn't understand one iota of that diatribe-like, run-on sentence parading as two full paragraphs.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 09:48AM

He used all the mormon catch-phrases necessary to subconsciously convince most TBMs that he's in the right. Fortunately they just glance off of people like us.

Date: April 13, 2011 09:52AM

He's pretty bright, but I think being TBM is starting to affect his writing skills. His critical thinking skills were lost long ago.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 09:54AM

'small niches that have voice' and the word 'Trump' all in the same paragraph...

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 09:56AM

I have to go flush my brain now.

Your brother is a confused, myopic person.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 10:10AM

Is this the same smug brother who sent the family a post-conference email? If so, these pompous emails are nauseating. Who elected him bishop, opinion maker, government/politics teacher, and all other authority positions of your family? I can't believe anyone, even other TBM family members put up with what seems like a insufferable ego and inflated sense of importance.

Also, none of it made sense and it was impossible to follow. Tell him to get a blog so he can share his nonsensical ideas and bizarre writing structure to an opt-in audience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 10:12AM by wittyname.

Date: April 13, 2011 10:13AM

Yes, same brother. He elected himself because he has so much love for us and wants to make sure we know what he's thinking.

He also sent us pictures of the food storage bins he built for under his bed, along with a parts and supplies list, so we could all go out and make some for ourselves.

He is the fount of all TBM wisdom for our family. We love him, and not only because he makes us laugh.

Date: April 13, 2011 11:06PM

If he ever becomes an exmormon, you two will have such a good time going back over his emails!!

Date: April 13, 2011 11:14PM

"This fictionalization I believe completely comes from the weakness of family units- do what you want to do, be who you want to be, lie a little, "who cares, just stay out of my hair. You are annoying". Few children are brought up in the manner the Lord desires with structure, love and righteous direction. They are led by their own devices."

This sounds like a cleaned up version of what the westboro baptist church believes about children being raised as brats for the devil. Check out the Louis Theroux documentary America's Most Hated Family in Crisis (and also the original America's Most Hated Family).

eta: oops, I meant to post this at the bottom, not as a reply to myself!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 11:15PM by wittyname.

Posted by: bring'emyoung ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 02:08AM

Food storage bins under the bed are a good way to mix bedbugs with cockroaches ( to say nothing of mice and other vermin) !

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 10:17AM

Suffice it to say it doesn't require a "majority vote" by the "fractionalized" public.

Seriously, has he been tested for lead poisoning? Or a brain tumor? Or just insanity?

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 10:22AM

I agree that the social structure we have today is immenseley and negatively influenced by the Me First mindset and the total need for personal validation at the expense of everything else.

But as far as his political rant, things are just the same as they have always been. The only difference today is the immediacy of information and how that affects the speed at which a politician will change its position on issues.

Seriously though, if he thinks a religiously led government is just peachy-keen, maybe he should study the political effects of the Puritans in 1600's America, or todays education of our youth in places where creationism is mandatory. Even better, he should see a how it works in Iran or Afghanistan or Myanmar.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 11:44AM

Seriously, your bro needs help. Professional help. Fast.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 11:25PM

I'll never practice witchcraft again!

Posted by: síóg ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 12:31PM

This doesn't make sense, on any level. If I saw my name on this, I'd think I'd written after way too many drinks.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 11:24PM

Donald Trump hasn't been nominated, so that couldn't possibly be a cogent argument.

He makes no sense.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 11:32PM

What he is saying in a roundabout way is fairly simple:

He bemoans the fact that people do not vote for a religious candidate en masse - presumably Mitt Romney.

He also seems afraid of Donald Trump entering the race and getting votes instead of the "man of God" candidate.

The flaw his thinking is, of course, that if the religious candidate were a Scientologist or Muslim instead of a Mormon, he'd be bitching about that.

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 11:13AM

Well summarized, Glo.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 12:03AM

New Rule: anyone who says, or writes, "The Lord," has no credibility. Only exceptions: The Lord of the Rings, or Lord of the Flies. All others, please f-off.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 02:00AM

I am The Lord Raptor Jesus.

Date: April 14, 2011 09:55AM

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 12:13AM

"These extreme lengths taken by others to find comfort and solidarity to their life can be very devastating to others around them"

This statement could hold true in describing morgbots...

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 02:01AM

>"...the power sits with some small niche which means that the entire nation is in the hands of some small niche..."

He has only just noticed that this is how the world works?? >;oD

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 03:36AM

Ditto what lostmystic just said:

Turn it around on him and show him how dictating instructions for food storage underbed wheelie things to people not interested in them, or the reasons same might be wanted or needed, is extreme and weird.

So is writing illogical, rambling/wandering 'letters' which ultimately say nothing original, or clever, but simply regurgitate other peoples' incoherent arguments. Especially when written in a way that leads the reader to believe said arguments are not completely understood by the person regurgitating them in that letter.

And do please tell him that using the phrase "Man of God" in the same sentence with Mitt Romney, is laughable, and also serves as proof that he has lost his grip on reality.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 09:41AM

Yup !

Isn't that what all those ayatollahs in Iran are doing ?

Date: April 14, 2011 09:57AM

Seriously, America has used that system since forever. Really, was he homeschooled?

Date: April 15, 2011 10:14AM

Yeah, my brother is a piece of work. I promise not to abuse this board too often by posting his epistles. I might, one time, post one of his really long ones just for fun.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 10:39AM

Doesn't make sense to me at all. He just assumes that the US is heading for disaster without qualification nor explanation. Exactly what type of disaster is he talking about? Everybody in the non-mormon world knows that if it's financial disaster it's a matter of econonomical policies, if it's enviromental then it's a matter of enviromental policies e.t.c. And every country in the world is influenced by powers beyond their control. For example, the great oil catastrophe in the mexican golf, a real disaster with devastating effect on the fishing industry, had nothing to do with anything your brother rambled on about.

Furthermore, desperately holding on to a 'destructive certainty' is something that mormons do way more than non-mormons. And caring about your family is a universal human trait that isn't exclusive to mormonism or even religion. That he thinks mormonism has superior family values is just telling how ignorant he really is. In short, where one can make sense of what he's trying to say he seems to have gotten it all backwards, and the rest is just words without content.

Posted by: Melly ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 11:21AM

If he is a die-hard old-school Republican it would make sense. It sounds like he doesn't like the Tea Party and is worried about their extremist views. He is worried that the Republican party is off track - focusing on fringe issues rather than core topics such as families and future prosperity. Sounds like he's worried that these fractures might cause a schism among Repubs, resulting in either two separate candidates (a Repub. nomination and a Tea Party nom.) that would cancel each other out, or a single Tea Party nom. whose ideas would be too extreme, and who therefore would be unelectable. Either way, the Democrats would win.

I mean, even if that is what he's saying, sending out a mass email to his family as if this is a revelation is a bit nutty.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 11:47AM

Sounds like typical "The sky is falling!!!" crapola.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.