Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 13, 2022 09:18AM

A couple things made impressions on me:

All the meddling in police and public affairs to protect TSCC’s reputation, from stake president (?) down to a busybody lady at the church.

The other was how even the TSCC’s officially sanctioned beliefs still lead back to fundamentalism, e.g. how “priesthood power” leverages the way to polygamy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon4today ( )
Date: May 13, 2022 10:45AM

I think the most disappointing aspect of the church was waiting for some sort of member or priesthood leader to "reign in" those who clearly believed in religious extremism and openly propagated their own ideas. Except that never happened in my experience.

So as a lowly deacon being grilled (abused) about how I washed my dick in the shower, whether I had wild dreams about girls or whether I was not interested in the opposite sex- called the f-got word or queer bait. The interview would move onto Scouting.

We scouts were required to maintain a goal plan/calendar where we were supposed to earn merit badges and perform acts to community service to rise in the scouting ranks. Now I realize that many of you had the experience that Boy Scouts was a joke because leaders would blindly sign off of the merit badge requirements, but I had the opposite experience.

I had a merit badge advisor who would not sign off one of the citizenship in the world because he wanted me to write to the leaders of USSR, China, Cuba, and N Korea to complain (advocate) that Mormon missionaries should be allowed to proselytize in their respective countries.

Not only was this some sort of farce assignment, but he insisted that I do ALL of the suggested activities (where the requirements gave options - choose any 2 of the six options).

So I complained to the bishop when he was all over me for my lack of progress. I came prepared and showed him the BSA requirements and explained that I had indeed earned that badge and that he the bishop should correct the brother on this matter.

And that bishop got out of his chair and walked around the desk and told me. I ought to hit you so hard on the head that you would need stitches. How dare you question the "expert" in this matter! If he advises you to do more it's because it's good for your learning.

He actually brought in the merit badge advisor and told him everything that I had complained about. I was then told that I had to apologize for tarnishing his character.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 14, 2022 09:29AM

Wow! My experience in scouts was a lot less intense than yours.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 14, 2022 12:46PM

Compare that to my experience with the Girl Scouts in an ELCA Lutheran sponsored troop. We chose our own merit badges and projects to work on. Sometimes we worked on agreed-upon joint projects, such as making a quilt, and sometimes we worked together in small groups. The priest came around occasionally to say a friendly hello, and that was it. It was all very relaxed and fun.

The Mormon church is all about control.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 02:25AM

Episode #5 imposed many triggers on me.

Small old wards in Northern CA have so many people who could stand in for the crazies represented in the movie.

I just want to cry.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 10:32AM

This whole thing is bogus.
If this is a recreation of 80s Mormonism where are the green Jello & wheat germ cookies refreshments?
Lies, lies and more lies!

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 21, 2022 12:31AM

I think they're using lemonade as the goody two shoes refreshment. I don't think most people would relate to green jello.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: May 21, 2022 08:53AM

Green Jello and the related secret formulas are an integral part of 80s mormon culture and the failure to acknowledge it's relevance is to taint the entire project.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 20, 2022 01:20PM

I haven't watched any of it but the posts about it are interesting.

I note how many are mentioning that it's triggering for them. I'm sorry for that.

Seems like the series should come with a warning.

Or, maybe 'triggering', although difficult to endure in the beginning, assists with a measure of healing that some didn't even realize they needed.

I hope so.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: May 21, 2022 06:51AM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> a measure of
> healing that some didn't even realize they
> needed.
>
> I hope so.

You described me. This show has made me realize and think about a few things, I'm gonna make a post once the series finishes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.