Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 03:35PM

I never knew what a Seder was.

Let that sink in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 03:44PM

OK. :)

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 05:29PM

I had to google it.

How did this come up for you now?

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 05:33PM

most of contemporary judaism comes out of later second temple period judaism. This is after they became monotheistic, post Babylonian exile. Very little of old Testament stems from this period though it is thought the editing of the older texts/stories continued.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 05:52PM

You've heard the expression "their knowledge of the subject is a mile wide and an inch deep."

Mormon's and especially 18 year old missionaries', knowledge of other religions is about a foot wide and an inch deep.

Synopsis: all other churches lost The Priesthood™, don't know how to do a proper baptism, and the Catholics are the Great and Abominable. Except we can't say that out loud anymore, because political correctness. But it's true.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: May 22, 2022 07:07PM

Marky Mark Petersen wrote a tract, "Which Church is Right?" a self-congratulatory exercise in bashing other religions (but mormons never do that!). There were a bunch of pamphlets like this scattered around our various missionary apartments, but I think the church pulled this one out of circulation quite a while ago.

https://issuu.com/vintageldspamphlets/docs/which_church_is_right_1982

Transcript can be found at

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/basic/gospel/restoration/Peterson_Which_Church.htm

----

A saccharine tribute to Marky Mark was published in the March 1984 Ensign upon his death. Among the first "accomplishments" mentioned is his authorship of this pamphlet.

As a humorous aside, the following was also included in the Ensign article. Thanks to Russia M. Nelson, we can now see Petersen delivering countless big honkin' triumphs to Satan:

"Mark mentioned to several of his associates in the Twelve that he, as a boy, sang the song written by Evan Stephens, 'I Am a Mormon Boy.' He often quoted the words:

A 'Mormon' boy, a 'Mormon' boy,
I am a 'Mormon' boy;
I might be envied by a king,
For I am a 'Mormon' boy.

My father was a 'Mormon' true,
And when I am a man,
I want to be like him and do
Just all the good I can."

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 23, 2022 12:06AM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never knew what a Seder was.
>
> Let that sink in.

This is to be expected. Quoting: "The word seder occurs only once in the Bible, in the plural (Job 10:22)."

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/seder

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 23, 2022 02:03AM

Now I’m hungry for Tzimmes.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 23, 2022 02:10AM

Kathleen Wrote:
> Now I’m hungry for Tzimmes.

:D

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 23, 2022 02:36PM

The Old Testament is a compilation and translation of ancient records, legends, and annals. These have been condensed and modified over time. It is doubtful that any of the source documents even exist anymore.
I have studied what could be source documents and even those are questionable. So as we read this book we must recognize that it is wide open to interpretation.
Translations of Sumerian cuneiform tablet, in my opinion. are some of the best sources of the origens of these legends and annals although there are many who disagree with me.
I say read and study then draw your own conclusions. I will respect that which you come to believe and would ecpect that you would extend to me the same courtesy

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 23, 2022 02:41PM

slskipper Wrote:
> I never knew what a Seder was.
>
> Let that sink in.

I've attended Seders held in churches.
It just depends on the church you choose to attend.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.