Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 08, 2022 03:38PM

I've posted things that I thought were true, weren't, and I don't fact check before posting.

Many people, myself included are prone not to point out my mistake.

https://www.psypost.org/2022/06/psychologists-conducted-several-experiments-on-giving-and-receiving-feedback-they-were-shocked-by-some-of-the-findings-63291

What is the online equivalent of my lipstick missing my lips?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: June 08, 2022 03:45PM

Remember. Anything gathered off the internet has to be true and doesn't require fact checking.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 08, 2022 06:07PM

If I knew right off it was not true, and I could site a source, I'd point it out.

If I didn't know it was not true, I would assume it was, and not fact check it.

Post are entertainment for me, so I'm not worried about their truthiness so much....not enough to check anyway.

Date: June 08, 2022 06:18PM

God bless an honest man.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 08, 2022 06:37PM

"The overwhelming question people have in these scenarios is: why didn’t anyone tell me?”"

Would you have listened?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 08, 2022 06:39PM

EB is that rare person who would listen.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 08, 2022 11:21PM

do not worry OPie ~

there are plenty of exmos who will let you know ~

Date: June 09, 2022 10:29AM

But would you?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 09, 2022 03:14PM

He has a book for you. It's not the Book of Mormon but it works the same way.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: June 09, 2022 08:48AM

Not an ideologue so no need for the rest of the world to "think right."
Plus discussions rarely if ever critical (now if a landing pilot forgot to put the wheels down might pipe up).

Interesting study, not sure they're measuring what they think they are

Date: June 09, 2022 10:29AM

You mean a crashing pilot?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 09, 2022 05:34PM

Date: June 09, 2022 05:35PM

Even better. Please point those out to me. I really want to be useful on RfM. If I'm not it is merely an echo chamber of self congratulations.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 09, 2022 05:50PM

I have a difficult time channeling the hOaks-ter, who I was trying to make fun of, so I may not have gotten my point (or ANY point!) across...

Here's a snippet from a PBS interview with the hOaks-ter, as detailed by FAIR that I hope promotes the context in which I was immersed:

PBS:  You used an interesting phrase, “Not everything that’s true is useful.”  Could you develop that as someone who’s a scholar and trying to encourage deep searching?

DHO:  The talk where I gave that was a talk on “Reading Church History” — that was the title of the talk.  And in the course of the talk I said many things about being skeptical in your reading and looking for bias and looking for context and a lot of things that were in that perspective.  

But I said two things in it and the newspapers and anybody who ever referred to the talk only referred to [those] two things: one is the one you cite, “Not everything that’s true is useful,” and that [meant] “was useful to say or to publish.”  And you tell newspapers any time (media people) [that] they can’t publish something, they’ll strap on their armor and come out to slay you! [Laughs.]

I also said something else that has excited people: that it’s wrong to criticize leaders of the Church, even if the criticism is true, because it diminishes their effectiveness as a servant of the Lord.  One can work to correct them by some other means, but don’t go about saying that they misbehaved when they were a youngster or whatever.  Well, of course, that sounds like religious censorship also.

But not everything that’s true is useful.  I am a lawyer, and I hear something from a client.  It’s true, but I’ll be disciplined professionally if I share it because it’s part of the attorney-client privilege.  There’s a husband-wife privilege, there’s a priest-penitent privilege, and so on.  That’s an illustration of the fact that not everything that’s true is useful to be shared.

In relation to history, I was speaking in that talk for the benefit of those that write history.  In the course of writing history, I said that people ought to be careful in what they publish because not everything that’s true is useful.  See a person in context; don’t depreciate their effectiveness in one area because they have some misbehavior in another area — especially from their youth.  I think that’s the spirit of that.  I think I’m not talking necessarily just about writing Mormon history; I’m talking about George Washington or any other case.  If he had an affair with a girl when he was a teenager, I don’t need to read that when I’m trying to read a biography of the Founding Father of our nation.

https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/answers/Dallin_H._Oaks/It%E2%80%99s_wrong_to_criticize_leaders_of_the_Church,_even_if_the_criticism_is_true

Is there a word, one word, that covers 'educated putz'?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 09, 2022 05:41PM

I don't mind phrasing my corrections as ideas rather than direct corrections.

Such as I was always told such n such rather than just saying you're wrong.

When I first posted here if I dared counter certain ideas I'd get raked over the coals.

Best example I said the moon landings were obviously a hoax since Joseph Fielding Smith said god wouldn't allow man to pollute any celestial body with hid presence.

That comment generated three separate threads of rebuttles and reams of rude comments.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.