Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: June 09, 2022 06:30AM

When I grew up in Toronto and as a youth we heard lots of stories about very interesting spiritual experiences in the temple. I recall many stories of people have relatives appear to them in the SLT, etc. That was when the church had only a few temples. There were stories about men at the entrance desks who prevented people from entering. Only to find out they lied about chastity to get a recommend to get married in the temple. There were stories about spiritual manifestations that would take place in the temple.

Now that we have hundreds of temples all I hear is "what a good feeling I have when I am in the temple." Nothing like when I grew up in the Church.

Does anyone know of any spiritual manifestations that have taken place in modern temples?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: June 09, 2022 07:21AM

"TARO, KARO, SOLOMON!"

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: June 09, 2022 07:42AM

With fewer temples the experience was more special especially out here in the mission field. People who had actually visited the temple were often asked to speak in sacrament meeting.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 09, 2022 10:21AM

I dread the day some TBM family member claims to have seen my late wife in the temple. Ugh.

Fortunately, it's not likely to happen, since they're all shunning us. But you never know. Everyone once in a while my brother's good judgment lapses and he "reaches out."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 09, 2022 10:39AM

The temple is like Catholic mass now. No one talks about it but it is weird and oh so spiritual.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: June 09, 2022 12:58PM

I remember a story I heard before doing baptisms for the dead when I was a youth. The guy at the temple told the youth about a young man who was really unruly on the bus on his youth group's trip to the temple, but on the way back he was really quiet. The youth leader asked him why he was so quiet and he said that when he emerged from the baptismal water and looked up he could see spirits looking down on him. Ooooooh!

It was a great ghost story. I think everyone, including me, was disappointed not to see spirits after being dunked for the dead.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 10, 2022 06:27PM

People will start to say things if it becomes a trend. We lived in Pocatello, Idaho when I was little. My oldest brother went to Pocatello High School. He was active in a lot of stuff so he was at the school all the time in the evenings.

He told me there was no thought of the place being haunted. No mention of it in 1969. It was a school with a lot of tradition but ghosts weren’t part of it. I guess the school ended up on one of these paranormal TV shows and now the school and other old buildings in town are believed to be haunted.

People have claimed to see and hear ghosts and even experience weird paranormal activity. Why would a LDS temple be any different? People have heard you might see spirits there or experience contact from the other side. Heck, if you believe it your mind might experience what it wants to experience or you make things up to fit in or impress your peers.

A good friend of mine is a mortician. I told him my friends and I snuck out at night and camped in a cemetery. It was creepy but we didn’t see any ghosts or ghouls. He laughed and said he would sleep like a baby in a cemetery. He’s more worried about the living than the dead. The dead aren’t going to bother you, they are dead.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 10, 2022 11:03PM

There's been a recent effort to refurbish the Old Town Pocatello area near that school. They brought back old neon signs and are busy trying to attract more businesses and tourists. It's kind of nice (for here). There are lots of artsy places. I guess they figure old buildings and ghosts help.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 10, 2022 06:43PM

My last conversation about the temple was with the wife of temple sealer. She complained they had to do something to make the endowment shorter. She was clearly experiencing temple burnout.

Once you oversaturate the members with temples, the mystery is going to dissipate. The magic will be gone. How many of us went to the temple because they were curious? That was my main motivation. I think with YouTube I probably would have ditched the mission and probably would have left the church while at college. Gee. What’s happening today? You can see everything that goes on in a temple except for the second anointing. You no longer have to go to the temple to see what’s going on.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 10, 2022 10:25PM

I watched the special church broadcast of its (then) new rollout of the 6 rainbow colored missionary discussions- 1988. I served a few years later.

I finally watched it on y/t a few years ago. The so called apostles mentioned that church had spent millions developing this new missionary approach. They only said that it cost millions of dollars about 10 times.

It was wasn't said that got my attention- No mention of prayer, fasting, special meetings with others. Nope, it was all about the power of research and development. The millions that the church had spent trying to determine why people joined and what made them stay.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 10, 2022 10:02PM

I think my mission president not only drank the kool aid but was drunk on it. He truly believed in it and expected us missionaries to do the same. So here he was duped or didn't care that his star set of elders who had baptized some 60 people in a month. I later learned the hard truth as I continued getting transferred closer to the area- they had established an exciting basketball league in an area where there was nothing to do for the youth. Lots of people knew the truth, but kept their mouths shut.

However, I had a companion who believed in that "obedience to the missionary rules" and he felt that he had slacked off as a Mormon missionary. So he asked me if we could follow every rule to the T as he wanted to end on a high note. So I did my part as a junior companion and let him do everything.

No baptisms. He went home got engaged, married a Mormon Mollie in the temple.

And similar to my experience, Mormonism failed him. He got his temple marriage annulled within a year. The grand promises fall short every time.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 10:20AM

Of those times when I attended the temple I N E V E R felt any indication of what I would define as spirituality. It mostly felt like a "dumming down" experience.
The whole thing is a matter of subservience and mind control.
The perpetrators aka temple workers for the most part truly believe in what they are doing but my position is when you are here you are here and when you are dead you are gone. End of Story.
I have based a lot of what I believe on my study of translations of cuneiform tablets which tell a completely different story of the creation by,genetic hybridation, of homo-sapiens (humans).This precludes and overshadows the fanciful concepts of the temple rituals.
WOW! Is that a mouthful of what??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2022 10:21AM by thedesertrat1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.