Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wallacebaker ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 06:16AM

Hi there

My family is ex-mormon. My grandfather was once a bishop & is now a patriarch. He has always been a closet smoker. His whole life. Surely the hierarchy know. But perhaps not.

I was only a boy when we left so I don't know alot about their poltics & morality, besides that they're not alot to take things like coffee or nicotine (smoking).

To me it seems totally hypocritical that grandpa has had these offices whilst smoking his whole life. Personally I don't care too much because I'm Catholic & smoking in itself isn't considered morally disordered. But Mormonism does.

Don't know if this will reach anyone but I'd love some insight into this. I do know about the interview needed to be admitted into their temple. I wonder if there's any norms preventing his admission, or censuring him from ministry because of his smoking habit.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Joseph's M¥th ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 06:54AM

Nicotine releases dopamine, Mormo-ism (forbidden word) clearly releases dopamine too, I guess?

No, it would not be very good if said Patriarch were to suddenly place a Mr Coffee onto his kitchen countertop.

Could get a Medical Marijuana card and sneak a little tobacco in there, I guess, haa.

The gears inside the mind of the interview passing LDS person might be the best thing ever to contemplate, if they even turn at all.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 10:28AM

There was a time when the "Word of Wisdom," (the church edict which bans tobacco, coffee, and tea) was merely taken as an advisory and not as a firm directive. Your grandpa's parents and grandparents may have lived their lives in a time when this was the case. Also, there are certain areas where the WoW is still taken with a large grain of salt, and church authorities are often inclined to look the other way at member indiscretions.

You might find it interesting to talk with your grandpa about this.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 05:56PM

good luck with your smoking mormon grandpa OPie ~

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 11, 2022 06:45PM

Could be worse. Grandpa could be a self-righteous prick.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 10:35AM

. . . so, is it the individual hypocrisy itself that's the sticking point?
Or is it that the corporation must know (true) yet either
- ignores evidence (denial)
- organizational hypocrisy (we know but don't care)
Or is it that "the rules" are arbitrary and many are somewhat silly

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: June 12, 2022 11:40AM

You can get away with a lot in the church if you pay enough tithing. If he was a full payer on gross income, this was his only sticking point, and he was giving pro forma lip service to repenting, it's not hard to see the org considering it a minor transgression and giving him a pass on it. In addition, as he made it to bishop and patriarch he was part of the local Old Boys' Club. The other OBC participants were likely doing the same or worse and they covered for each other, kind of like secret combinations.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 13, 2022 06:40PM

My HS girlfriend's father was branch president. He smoked cigars and drank hard likker, Wich he kept in his boots at home

Posted by: martybaby ( )
Date: June 15, 2022 03:11PM

My ex-wife's father (a dumb, flat-footed, LDS ex cop who hated my guts) kept his bottle of hooch under the seat of his pickup. He wasn't obvious with his boozing, but everyone knew it. No big deal for me. He's pushin' up daisies now!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.