Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 24, 2022 03:40PM

I have driven by the construction going on just off I-215 about 4700 S and wondered for months what was being built there. Today I noodled around and realized it is the Taylorsville, UT temple! OMG, it is right there by the freeway near business areas. If any cars or trucks wreck there and go over the barrier, they will almost certainly crash into a sealing room.

I'd like to know why the mormon church chose such a dumb place to build this???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 24, 2022 04:08PM

A vehicle would have to go over 50 feet of highway right-of-way, probably a parking lot, and additional 75 feet of lawn and a temple wall. I think the chances are slim of a sealing being interrupted by a food truck, though that would be quite the news story.

The Winnipeg temple is also in an area zoned for strip malls, and there is a provincial liquor store in the strip mall kitty corner from the temple lot. The temple is not close to the edge of its lot, so there is still quite a bit of space between the temple and the liquor store, animal clinic, etc.

While the Winnipeg site is surrounded by townhomes and small businesses, it is a brand spanking new subdivision, in an upscale part of the city. That apparently trumped the fact that there was a liquor store within sight. The temple is visible, though just barely, from a major traffic artery (Kenaston Blvd).

I suspect the same rationale applied in Taylorsville. They want the temple to act as a billboard, advertising how cool and rich Mormons are. Right next to the interstate makes sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2022 04:08PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 24, 2022 05:03PM

If you can't see it, can it be said to really exist?

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: June 24, 2022 06:09PM

But you can see it. It sticks put like a sore thumb squeezed into that location. Most temples are ostentatious in the extreme. This one right at the freeway ramp looks totally out of place.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.