Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JimWoods ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 03:08PM

I've been hearing a lot from the Young Single Adult crowds that there has been a restructuring of sorts in the wards. Forcing people to go to the correct ward, making sure those in "family" wards get to the correct YSA wards.

In addition, following a general conference which discusses it, lots more talk about getting young people to marry.

I've been trying to figure it out in my mind - why the Church would decide to take this action.

One conclusion I came up with is that it's a lot more difficult to have doubts or consider leaving the Church once you're married to another (presumably) TBM. Even more so once you have a child. It just adds one more reason why it would be too hard to leave.

Any other ideas? Perhaps it's nothing more than what it looks like...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Daved ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 03:25PM

Parents want to take their families to church. Seriously, families are the core unit of the church. Dads lead the rest of the family to church, are good priesthood holders and examples to the young boys. Mom's keep everyone going, they make food, are loyal to dad and are good examples to the little girls.

If you're married, you're a lot less likely to "explore." The morg loses a lot of its crowd in the young adult phase. Youth are young, sexy and ready to meet other young sexy youth. Many members of the young adult community are also exploring their sexuality after being suppressed as a teenager, and if you find out you're gay, you probably won't want to be a Mormon. Being married also keeps you in the same place geographically. Heaven forbid you travel in other countries while not on your mission and you are exposed to foreign (Philistine) thought and practices.

Families are the morg's PR. eg "Isn't it about time?" The morg recruits families. Family values are the bastion of Christianity and the best base for. . .

TITHING! Families are tithing machines. They have a dad, keeping a steady job to support the family and a bunch of kids, some males who will keep producing for the church and others female who will keep their males bound to them (while being subjected to said male).

Spouses keep each other in check. Look at all of the people on this board struggling with a TBM DW or DH.

It's all just a vicious cycle of control. If the morg can get people to behave how the morg wants them to behave, it can keep its numbers up and bring in more tithing.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 03:45PM

JimWoods Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One conclusion I came up with is that it's a lot
> more difficult to have doubts or consider leaving
> the Church once you're married to another
> (presumably) TBM. Even more so once you have a
> child. It just adds one more reason why it would
> be too hard to leave.
>

Kind of like when on mission you always pair up the missionaries in 2's so that they can keep an eye on each other. (Cue the mormon fishing/hunting joke now)

Posted by: notion ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 04:10PM

I'm sure this is based on statistics. The church leaders know that young adults who marry a member and even more when they marry in the temple will most likely stay in the church -- those who do not marry or marry outside, most likele leave.

The reasons do not matter to them, just the numbers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.