Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 11:44AM

Got a text from a friend yesterday. It was about the Come Follow Me program for next year. So I checked the facts and they are true. wards and branches will no longer provide free copies. Members are to use the digital copy on line. Here is the kicker. If a ward or branch needs printed copies for members they can purchase them from their budgets. Or members can purchase a copy.

One would think with the Follow Christ theme Dusty Rusty would be giving away the manuals.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 11:52AM

Can't use those billions for Jesus to spend when he gets here again.

Posted by: Adam Warrior ( )
Date: June 29, 2022 11:47AM

Jesus needs a retirement plan haha. Imagine he will want to vacation and check out all the beaches around the Globe and just chill in his sandals.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 12:04PM

Hey, temples don't pay for themselves!  ...oh, wait...

I think we need to remember that YOU OWE the tithing, it's not your money, it is ghawd's money, and a good ghawd is a frugal ghawd.

Remember my favorite scripture: "For I am a jealous ghawd who changes his mind when least you expect it..."

Next you can expect having to print out your own tithing payment slips. Just download the appropriate .PDF, fill in the appropriate blanks, print it out and ghawd will love you even more!

Show me in scripture where it says Salvation is free, after the age of accountability!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 12:30PM

When was the last time you saw a Sears catalog, which was once ubiquitous? Last time you saw a phone book?

I used to get about ten specialty catalogs at least a couple times a year. They have almost completely stopped. Newspapers are cutting back on actual paper editions, and going electronic.

It is hideously expensive to grind up trees and ship the paper around in trucks, just to deliver information. I get two alumni magazines and 1 regular magazine in paper form. That’s about it, other than grocery ads and ads for various forms of insurance.

There are some advantages to print. You can dog-ear pages, mark with a highlighter, scribble notes. This can be done electronically too, but different display apps have different ways of doing it, and learning to deal with all of them is a pain in the butt. A lot of technical science and engineering/math looks awful in electronic form. Just straight text and pictures, however, generally look fine in electronic format, and that is what most people read.

Plus in electronic format it is relatively easy to include audio, video, and live links to related material, none of which is possible with paper delivery.

All organizations are doing everything they can to discourage paper delivery of information. The few advantages are just not worth the cost.

Granted, most of the companies I get electronic notices and documents from will send paper copies if I request them end they don’t charge for them, but I expect that will change as time goes on. LDS In c is being pretty aggressive in discouraging printed manuals.

I do know that newspapers charge a steep premium for home delivery of a physical paper. They would be thrilled to go all electronic, and that day is coming, sooner rather than later.

Date: June 28, 2022 12:40PM

Date: June 28, 2022 12:46PM

Well, no, but some electronic documents are pretty effective purgatives. They will scare or annoy the crap out of you. ;)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 01:13PM

They appear to have some fiendishly sophisticated toilets :-)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 03:22PM

Oddly at a time of extreme drought I see more and more of my friends installing these aftermarket bidet on their toilets so they save money on toilet paper.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 03:39PM

Yep, corona discharge......and I don't mean what comes up after too much Mexican beer.

Date: June 28, 2022 12:44PM

Note: math printing is generally fine in electronic form, and it is all done that way now. The problem comes when physical math books are back-converted to electronic form, as sometimes happens with kindle, and other apps. It’s a bit like translating a passage from English to French, and then back to English, or opening a WordPerfect document (remember them?!) in MS Word.

Date: June 28, 2022 12:48PM

I remember Wordstar…

How I loved their macros!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 08:08PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How I loved their macros!

You ate them?

And no, I do not expect you to understand the joke.

Date: June 28, 2022 08:27PM

Hey, I got the joke!

After all, I have friends from MacroAsia!!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 01:27PM

From what my wife and elder daughter tell me, usually using the impressive and impressively open-source and internationally cooperative TeX programming language (sorry, I don't have the Greek letter, but it's prounounced Tek ;-). It's extremely powerful and richly functioned; one of my wife's older but nevertheless up-to-date colleagues, a highly-respected full Professor, used its capabilities to put at the foot of the last page of all his publications, in 0.5-point characters, the text:

"Merde à celui qui me lit"

I'll leave you to translate ;-)

My wife particularly liked him.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 01:05PM

I still prefer a print copy to an electronic copy, but due to the cost, I only get 1-2 print copies per week. The last time I checked one out in a grocery store line, I watched the clerk take apart my Sunday paper. She told me that she had never checked out a newspaper before. She realized her mistake and started to put it back together. Then she took one magazine-like special section, and asked me if I wanted it. Umm, yes? I paid for the entire newspaper, and I want all of it. Thankfully I was in a mellow mood that day, because I didn't like my newspaper being mishandled like that.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 12:48PM

When church headquarters needs a new computer system only the best will do.
When a member needs a manual don't you know that's the tithing of the widows and orphans of the church?

Date: June 28, 2022 12:59PM

The developing world is going to suffer.

Date: June 28, 2022 01:38PM

How else can its inhabitants know they are in development?

Date: June 28, 2022 03:44PM

In this case they're ignorance is bliss.

Posted by: RR ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 02:38PM

A digital manual can have changes and updates made without anyone really knowing. Besides the costs mentioned I believe the reason is so that the church can easily control the narrative at the push of a button. Then there will never be an old manual with racist or outdated teachings floating around.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 09:12PM

****BING BING BING**** WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!! This was my thought when I saw this too. They have "recalled" a lot of inconvenient printed/published material. With the drastic and swift way they are changing things these days I would bet it was a contributing factor. This is the only reason I hold on to any of my mormon crap like "The Church and the Negro".

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 07:49PM

If a ward or branch needs printed copies for members they can purchase them from their budgets.

This has been the case since the 1990s- part of the correlation plan.

Now here's how cheap the church was (and still is).

Since I was living at home paying rent RM elder and my father was a high priest, the ward determined that one Goop would receive ONE and only free copy. Apparently, they held ward council to determine which Goop would be told to by his own PH manual.

So I was told to buy my own copy. The executive secretary informed me that they could order one from the Distribution Center for 24 bucks. I declined and my Dad gave me my own copy that he grabbed from the high priests' allocated box.

And remember the printed Stake directories?

The same logic was given about only giving one printed directory: one per household

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 28, 2022 10:52PM

Once upon a time in one of the the Seattle stakes (?) we had newspaper drives for recycling $

To make it convenient, we used twine to tie the bundles, guess who paid for the twine…

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 29, 2022 02:12AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.