Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: July 02, 2022 06:13PM

Bowen is a Mormon; claims he has discovered a now-forgotten Mexican priest who claims Mexico was Christianized 2000 years ago, and that's "evidence for the Book of Mormon."

His talk at Sons of the Utah Pioneers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvpdzktXaxU

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2022 06:18PM by RPackham.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 02, 2022 06:36PM

And you don't need to know Bowen's book is horse#*@t :)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39020.1491

in this groundbreaking work of science, history, and archaeology, Charles C. Mann radically alters our understanding of the Americas before the arrival of Columbus in 1492.

Contrary to what so many Americans learn in school, the pre-Columbian Indians were not sparsely settled in a pristine wilderness; rather, there were huge numbers of Indians who actively molded and influenced the land around them. The astonishing Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan had running water and immaculately clean streets, and was larger than any contemporary European city. Mexican cultures created corn in a specialized breeding process that it has been called man’s first feat of genetic engineering. Indeed, Indians were not living lightly on the land but were landscaping and manipulating their world in ways that we are only now beginning to understand. Challenging and surprising, this a transformative new look at a rich and fascinating world we only thought we knew.

Here's a review of Mr. Bowen's book:

https://www.amazon.com/Christianity-Americas-Before-Columbus-Unfamiliar/dp/1513655787/ref=sr_1_3?qid=1656801451&refinements=p_27%3AGary+Bowen&s=books&sr=1-3

This book is just meh. It posits some ideas and theories as "facts" - you're better off reading The Da Vinci Code - way more entertaining, and dare I say, plausible."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2022 06:39PM by anybody.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 02, 2022 07:12PM

My school district gets a lot of immigrants who come up through the southern U.S. border. One day I was giving a newly arrived student directions in Spanish. A social worker commented that Spanish wouldn't work with this particular student, because s/he was indigenous. I was taught how to recognize indigenous family names. I learned that the indigenous form a huge part of the population in Mexico, Central America, and South America.

It dawned on me that a number of the immigrant children are descendants of some of the greatest civilizations that have ever been on our planet -- the Aztecs and the Maya. Americans who are so contemptuous of these immigrants might do well to consider that someday, the shoe might be on the other foot. What rises can also fall. Maybe someday Mexico will be the country building the wall.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: July 02, 2022 11:14PM

> The
> astonishing Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan had
> running water and immaculately clean streets, and
> was larger than any contemporary European city.

And yet there's no archeological evidence...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 03, 2022 01:54AM

My first Senior Companion and I tracted the heck out of what the Spaniards built on top of Tenochtitlán. But we always quit at dusk, lest we disturb the slumbering Aztec gods, Tlaloc and Huitzilopochtli.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: July 07, 2022 11:18PM

oops. I mean there's no BoM evidence

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.