Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 02:46AM

From the entrance, through the store and and all the way to the cashier a customer talked with anybody and about almost everything he saw. Probably he was a schizophrenic high on medication. It was a very interesting situation. It was like he was a skilled commentator, the commentating was seamless in a way but the information was not accurate but full of hooks that catched peoples attention. He stopped and talked with me about a childhood memory he had, how he vent to a rock concert during the 1970s with his parents and drank coca cola, served in classic bottles that were placed on flower decorated plates. He told me life was idyllic back then and that he would write a book and make movie of the book so that kids of today could see how things were back in the days. Another theme he returned to through the store was Russia and Putin. He had lots of alternative explanations about what was happening concerning covid and Ukraine. It sounded out of this world and he spoke so loud with so he were heard through all the store.

The seamlessness in the communication reminded me of the internet, it was like this man just repeated what he had been reading on the internet without having any critical filter. If he had read a text about bulgarian space stations sending shuttles between moon and mars every monday he would have believed it 100% and told people about it. He stayed and talked with the cashier many minutes and asked if he could return again and show some urgent material he had found.

Why do I post this off topic post because I was so intrigued by seeing something that looked like internet algorithms coming alive, it was something cult like about the man and the interesting thing was that there were no obvious connection to any group he talked about. He was very efficient, like a brain computer putting together material from the web to create stories that sound like something from the american Weekly World News.

This was like seeing the times we live in, in a person.

Schizophrenia can be very impressive to observe. There is something in it that has meaning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 05:35AM

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 07:41AM

I’ve long found the Weekly World News to be more reliable than Semiannual General Conference.

Posted by: Arkay ( )
Date: July 11, 2022 12:38AM

I used to joke that writing for the Weekly World News would have been my dream job.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 11:20AM

Your chosen words serve your powers of observation beautifully, Cauda. I enjoyed that on a literary level very much and your "seeing the times we live in, in a person" was powerful.

Besides the suspected or possible Schizophrenia you made me wonder about how many older people are still sharp and have seen so much and observed so much and remember it all and still care deeply and have sorted it out and now . . . now what do you do with your mental storehouse? Not useless information, but a lot of good information with no purpose.

Your mind is "all dressed up with nowhere to go". Not invited to any parties anymore. Made me think the old guy in the store at least had created his own party.

Date: July 08, 2022 01:44PM

It warms my heart Done & Done when I read what you wrote: Your chosen words serve your powers of observation beautifully

When I was a child my teachers were worried about me because I was just looking at the others kids. Not playing with them or interacting with them. If I did interact with the other kids I almost always talked about my own special interest.

Old people are alone. So much change over time. Partners pass, grandkids are alienated, buildings are demolished in the neighbourhood, trends come and go. Many must be frustrated.

The man in the store was majestic in a way. He spoke loudly but was very mild and friendly. Like an Elf on drugs. Walking in a metaphysical inner paradise. He took the room like he was the center of the party and he did not care if it was accurate what he said. When he told me that he wanted to write a book and make a movie out of it I believed him because he was really in his own inner world. I said to him that he should write the book.

When he talked about the coca cola bottle he drank at the rock concert it was like he was remembering when something, of dignity, like the Berlin Wall fell.

Many people are lonely. The best thing we can do is to acknowledge the dreams spoken. Even if they are true or not.

Read somewhere that an american president candidate soothed a man that was ranting on a rally about black unmarked helicopters flying over his house. He told the man, if I become president I will look into those issues and order the air force personally to shot the helicopters down!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 02:29PM

You demonstrate what a beautiful gift listening is, Cauda. Again, relating his coke story to the Berlin Wall touches me.

Your story about your youth also reminds me . . . When I was a kid I didn't start to talk until I was more than 2 1/2 and my younger brother was already starting to talk. My parents became very concerned and took me to see the doctor fearing something was wrong with me since the norm is 6 to 18 months. Of course my other three siblings were along for the ride. The doctor observed for a while and then told my mother, "If you will notice Older Brother is doing all the talking for D&D. Don't allow that anymore. Make D&D speak for himself." And, I started talking non stop almost immediately.

Funny thing is I segued into letting the Mormon church speak for me after that for a good long while. Took a long long time to find my own words and my own observations and opinions. My own voice. Luckily I did. So glad you did too.

My nick-name for myself has always been "Late Bloomer".

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 12:03PM

Glial glitches don't make good network switches.

Date: July 08, 2022 01:46PM

Design issue. Some Ai can fix it. Some would say God.

But we have to work with what we have.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 08, 2022 02:00PM

"The best thing about being alone is not having to share!  The worst thing about being alone is not being able to share."

--Judic West, Treasure Master, in the vault, counting his toes

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 11, 2022 12:28PM

So, when is his book of divine revelation coming out and where do I send my 10%? Gotta be more entertaining than what JS & Co. came up with.

:-)

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 11, 2022 03:07PM

He might have been on the spectrum?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.