Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Brother ( )
Date: July 11, 2022 12:38PM

I finally got around to watching "Keep Sweet" this weekend.
(It took me a minute to finish sympathy-barfing for those poor girls having to even SEE Warren or his dad naked.)

Anyway...I'm certainly not the first person to realize that polygamy can only realistically work for ONE generation.
The birth rate stays pretty consistent at about 50% male/50% female, so you would have to find a way to perpetually get rid of males.

It seems like God didn't quite think this one through before he made it a commandment.

Makes me wonder which other commandments are logistically impractical?
Two years of food storage was the first one to come to mind.

Wouldn't it be much easier to just have a small food storage and two years worth of grocery money?
Why would anyone want to keep living in a place where you couldn't buy food for two years?
Move to a better place, for crying out loud.

What do you think?
What is your favorite commandment or doctrine that isn't actually possible, or at least not very likely?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 11, 2022 12:54PM

Leviticus 20:9 “If there is anyone who curses his father or his mother, he shall surely be put to death; he has cursed his father or his mother, his bloodguiltiness is upon him.”

How does that square with the lovely commandment,”Thou Shall NOT Kill.”?
Unless it’s your own bratty kid, for something as minor as cursing? OR gays? Or Adulterers, or, too many exceptions to name?

I find it interesting how God makes exceptions to every rule, for all the same people His followers hate. Maybe it wasn’t God who created us in His image and it was man who created God in his egotistical, hypocritical, genocidal image.

Date: July 11, 2022 01:10PM

God is totally ok with killing people as PUNISHMENT, he just doesn't like MURDER.

Unless, of course, murder (for some reason) is the best way to get really cool brass plates.
Then, he actually encourages it!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 11, 2022 01:10PM

All those extra males does get awkward.

I always thought a "two year supply" was absurd, and a two year supply of money was a hell of a lot more practical, plus you could spend it on other stuff besides food, like a mortgage. Food storage is of limited use if you lose your home.

And any place where the power/water/sewers are out of commission for more than a few days, people are required to evacuate anyhow, as a public health measure. I know of a city that had National Guard troops around it for six weeks after a flood to keep people out until the water plant, waste treatment plant, and power were restored. Even then, each house had to be individually inspected for habitability - was the wiring functional, did the furnace still work, were there natural gas or fuel oil leaks - that sort of thing.

I'm sure the food storage that local Mormons had in their houses did not come through the flood well - rusty cans and missing labels. Products in clear plastic containers were probably still usable provided you could get the exterior of the package sterile enough to be opened safely.

I was of the opinion that the whole "2 year supply" thing started as a way to get members to buy what was produced by Mormon welfare farms, besides supplying free labor to grow and can the stuff. I mean it sounds like a typical Mormon scam - free labor, sell the stuff cheap but still at a profit because the church had free labor, and the land and the profit they made was tax free because the welfare farms were part of a church program, not a commercial business. Sweet deal.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: July 11, 2022 01:27PM

How about wearing the Temple Garments day and night, that came with the claim they would protect you, Of course that mindset was reinforced with those Fast and Testimony meetings of someone's story from the other story told by some other story about how garments saved them.

All I know is that double layer put me into serious heat stroke a few times, plus the rashes that were generated from the sweat and heat. I mean even in the middle of winter, go outside to shovel the snow and within minutes your sweating profusely.

So God is going to project you, unless its a 100 degree day and your body temperature in putting you in the danger zone. Could not even mow the lawn without having to guzzle a gallon of water.

That never made sense to me.

Date: July 11, 2022 01:51PM

Even if you think garments only protect you from temptation...
What kind of temptations do you get when you're sound asleep?

(On second thought, maybe I don't want to know the answer to that.)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 11, 2022 01:55PM

Mark Peterson said tie your hands while sleeping.

Date: July 11, 2022 01:57PM

That's Mark "E" Peterson.

(Guess what the E stands for?)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 11, 2022 06:11PM

No idea.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: July 11, 2022 02:29PM

"No empty chairs at the table" in the CK. Absolutely unworkable.

Whose table would that be? The kids would be grown with their own "tables." And your own parents have as much claim on you as you do on your kids. So their table? And on it goes.

What about the in-laws' table? If you had a daughter, would her husband's parents pull rank for their table because priesthood? So much for "no empty chairs." (Plus, with CK polygamy, that's a lot of empty daughter chairs.)

No mormon can ever answer these questions so they fall back to "it will all work out in the next life." What a bunch of lazy learners mormons are.

Date: July 11, 2022 03:02PM

"Families are forever" is completely incompatible with "getting your own planet".

Posted by: Third of Five ( )
Date: July 11, 2022 03:39PM

I always assumed that when this was practised in JS and BY days, polyandry fixed this issue. I’m guessing I might be wrong about that because basically everyone is married to several people.

But what was the official reason for practicing polyandry if not for this? Or was it covered up? I’ve lost track of what’s been denied vs what has been explained. That would be the solution but I’m not sure JS (oops I mean god) was thinking it through.

More importantly though, how are STDs not a thing in any of these scenarios? God didn’t think that through either. Getting off (oops I mean procreating) was more important to him.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 11, 2022 08:56PM

The CULT was finally forced to admit JS ‘was sealed to’ 12 of his followers wives, because even Mormon scholars like Todd Compton and Grant Palmer documented it thoroughly. The way the CULT tried to justify it was by saying they don’t know why God commanded Joseph to have his way with his followers wives, but it sure had to be for a real good reason and they’re pretty sure it wasn’t sexual in nature.

But that’s nonsense, first, God didn’t command it, He commanded just the opposite on multiple occasions, including the 10 Commandments and the Law of the Priesthood, Joseph claimed to receive straight from God.
And Brigham Young sired a child with Zina Jacobs, while her poor Hubby Henry was off serving an overseas mission, sent there by BY. So obviously sex was involved and Brigham stole Zina from Henry, along with their two boys.
The whole enterprise is an abusive misogynist system of control.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: July 11, 2022 04:29PM

Date: July 12, 2022 02:58PM

Just a little thought experiment while I'm eating lunch...

When I was growing up, you weren't supposed to have garage sales. The church wanted you to just donate everything to Deseret Industries.
Also, you were supposed to pay tithing on any money you earned, even if someone had already paid tithing on it (like when parents give their children allowance).
So, putting those two things together...imagine a very large neighborhood yard sale:

Person 1 has $100 and buys something from Person 2

Person 2 pays $10 tithing on his "income" and uses the remaining $90 to buy something from Person 3

Person 3 pays $9 tithing and uses the remaining $81 to buy something from Person 4

Person 4 pays $8.10 tithing and uses the remaining $72.90 to buy something from Person 5

And so on...and so on...

Until you get to Person 67.
By then you're under a dime, so you can't pay any more tithing.

At that point, everyone has some new stuff...but the church has ALL the money.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.