Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 05:29AM

Hi everyone,

I've been rather terse on the board for the last three weeks, with only short messages. This is because I have only had one hand available to type (no naughty comments please ;-). That, in turn, is because on Saturday June 25th, I was woken at 6 am by a noise which I assumed to be my daughter trying to open her shutters. I put on my dressing gown and went out of my bedrom... to find a young man to the left of my bedroom door who threatened me with some of our rather pointed secateurs which he'd picked up in the garden on his way to the back, where he'd climbed through a window which we'd left open because of the heat, unfortunately forgetting to close the iron-plate shutters :-/

Luckily, the guy was an amateur and a little bit on the small, lightweight size. He was also not very bright ;-). Upon seeing me, he appears to have thought he was in a gangster film. He told me he had "three friends outside the house in a car who were going to beat me" if I didn't pay them - while also inadvertently telling me where he lived ;-).

Suprisingly calm (and probably still half-asleep ;-), I asked him how much. And that is where his hastily-formulated plan fell apart, because he hadn't thought about that at all. To cover his confusion, he pretended to phone his "accomplices" - but of course, they didn't exist and he was a very bad actor. I quickly understood that he was play-acting, told him so and called out to my daughter and wife to call the police because there was someone in the house. My wife is a very heavy sleeper, but luckily my daughter heard me and called the police, and her movements upstairs alerted him to the presence of other people.

This appeared to annoy him because he hit me twice - once on the right shoulder, hard enough to dislocate it, and then on the nose, sending my spectacles flying. He then pretended to speak to his accomplices again, saying "start the car, start the car" and ran out, taking my mobile phone and my daughter's bag, containing her credit card, passport, etc. It's lucky we no longer have any internal bordersin the EU because she works at the European Commission in Brussels ;-). I listened for a car when he left, but of course there wasn't one ;-).

As a middle-class Englishman, my education means I do not have direct access to my feelings but I think I was pretty shocked because it's taken me three weeks to want to tell you all about it (and I consider most of you to be my friends). I'm better now, but physically my right shoulder is taking a long time to heal and I still frequently wear my Dujarier immobilizing sling to rest it... In 21 years, this is the first trouble we've had, but we've also installed alarms.

So that's why I haven't answered any emails recently and why my messages here have been short.

One last thought, though: I and my family all wondered how this might have played out in the States, where both my burglar and I would very probably have been armed...

2 potential deaths avoided right there.

Much love to you all.

Tom in Paris

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 06:30AM

Oh Tom, I am so so sorry :( I hope they catch the SOB. BIG BIG wombat {hugz}!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 07:14AM

Tom, that sounds awful. I'm sorry for your troubles. I hope that they catch your attacker, and that you feel better very soon.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 08:06AM

Wow that is quite frightening to have someone in your home attacking you. The shock will likely last a long time. Glad you just had minor injuries, It could of been worse. In the US, he could of had a gun as you said. Hope he gets caught and prosecuted.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 09:15AM

> As a middle-class Englishman, my education means I
> do not have direct access to my feelings . . .

We love you, repressed middle-class Englishman though you may be.

-----------------------
Glad you and your family are safe, Tom, and hope that you soon recover both your full physical health and those misplaced spectacles!

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 09:26AM

Tom, glad you are okay. It certainly could have been worse. Your account did bring a few smiles for its understated tone especially your comment about locating feelings. It is perhaps one of the difficulties we English born face in the, shall we say, more expressive and exuberant societies in which we find ourselves. Those feelings, like still water, can run deep. Good luck 8n your recovery.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 10:12AM

Could have been worse. Could have been Danites.

Date: July 16, 2022 03:19AM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 10:17AM

OMG!

I can't believe how well you did keeping your wits about you and figuring out what he was doing. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I've had major shoulder surgery in the past, and it is not fun at all.

I'm very relieved all of you are safe. It's bad enough having to change and replace credit cards and ID, let alone deal with an injury.

I'm confident in the USA, someone would have been shot. You handled it so well. I'm very glad one of my favorite posters is OK and here to share what happened. We get wiser from learning about experiences like that. Thank you.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 10:22AM

I say, do try to be more careful in the future, eh what?

Date: July 16, 2022 03:20AM

Date: July 16, 2022 03:39AM

Somebody has somebody else down to a "T"!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 16, 2022 12:02PM

He must have known it was Bunter's day off!

Date: July 16, 2022 06:11PM

A hit, sir, a palpable hit!

Date: July 17, 2022 03:03AM

Don't palpate it! That's the medic's job!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 11:10AM

I just figured you were busy being grandpa. I was just gloating that BoJo (no relation) has had his Road Runner cartoon career ended. As for your British education, I’d have thought three decades in Paris would have scuffed that up some.

Sorry to hear about your adventure. Hope life returns to what passes for normal ASAP.

I’m off to Yellowstone and will be mercifully quiet here for a while. Will wave in dagny’s general direction as I pass through IDaho. :)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 12:10PM

Have a good trip! Waving at your limo as it passes Pocatello.

It's hot and tourist season means big crowds (busses full of foreign folks). I don't like to go between Memorial and Labor Day. It's too crazy for this old bat.

Take pictures of the tourists provoking buffalo and getting gored, and don't jump into any geysers. ;-) Every year it happens.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 16, 2022 01:08PM

I have no choice. Destination wedding. I normally avoid summer visits to Yellowstone like the plague. May and October are my preferred times to visit.

Interesting discussion over drinks last night, 6 people, all current or retired university profs in science fields. Four of them had seen the Keep Sweet series, and UTBOH. One of the people is Jewish, and a joke was made (not by me) about her being a gentile in Utah, where she is going next week. The phrase “One mighty and strong” also came up. For a bunch of Midwest neverMos, they were pretty dialed in.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 11:26AM

So glad that you and your family are okay and that you were able to keep your wits about you!

I hope he gets caught soon and prosecuted.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 11:48AM

Wow, Tom! Glad you're OK....hope your shoulder cooperates.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 15, 2022 01:01PM

When I think of France I think of roving gangs of mimes robbing houses. I don't think that is correct.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 16, 2022 03:34AM

I am so glad you (and your family) are safe!!

My best wishes for your shoulder healing well, and as rapidly as is possible, are on their way right at this moment.

I am very, very glad for you, and for your family, that you were able to handle this so well.

My best wishes go out to all of you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2022 03:35AM by Tevai.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 16, 2022 05:51AM

OMG! I am so sorry! You must be feeling so violated right now.

I hope karma and the police quickly catch up to that little turd!

I'm so glad you and your family members weren't hurt worse... and I'm sending your many healing vibes for your shoulder. Please take care!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 16, 2022 09:19AM

Tom, I’m so glad you avoided those secateurs (had to look that up) and that you weren’t injured worse. It takes an exceptional criminal to enter an occupied home—-you were so very lucky. And we are so very lucky to have you here. I hope he’s caught and prosecuted.

Good luck recovering, Tom.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 16, 2022 12:38PM

Really glad you're getting better, always appreciate your insight on things Mormon.
If that attack happened where I live there would be a lot of hot air about thoughts and prayers and probably someone claiming that the solution to a bad guy with a secateur is a good guy with a secateur.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: July 17, 2022 01:04AM

That is a really scary way to wake up in the morning Tom! Thank goodness you were able to remain calm and kept your wits about you. I’m sorry that you were hurt in the process though, and all the things he made off with can be replaced.
Except maybe the secateurs. In my gardening experience, it can be hard to find a good set and once you do, they are irreplaceable!

Date: July 17, 2022 03:00AM

You're right - but they were so good, I had bought 3 pairs ;-) so we still have 2 left.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: July 17, 2022 02:00PM

Aaah, thinking ahead!

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: July 17, 2022 03:00PM

Yikes, Tom! Hope they find that guy and your shoulder heals quickly!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.